No more figuring out what to buy... I just scored.

ensitmike

ensitmike

Audioholic Intern
Everything was FREE! The super kind girl who gave me everything is traveling the world and leaves tomorrow. I was first going to pay, but wanted to test the things. She didnt have time and said as long as I'll enjoy it I can have it all.

I will enjoy it and wish nothing but good for that gal.

Items:
  • PSB Image B6 Speakers
  • Adcom GFP 565
  • Adcom GFA 5200
  • JVC QL-7
edit: speaker pictures are from online because I just used the pictures she sent me. Speakers weren't part of the deal but she ended up giving them to me.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Traveling the world uhu, I just read on MSN a woman went to Belize she missing now. World is crazy man tell her to stay Home! Anyways nice score! she got good taste on gear.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Traveling the world uhu, I just read on MSN a woman went to Belize she missing now. World is crazy man tell her to stay Home! Anyways nice score! she got good taste on gear.
Did you score with a girl traveling the word, big money? :D

ensitmike

ensitmike

Audioholic Intern
Haha. no joke. One of the places she was going was Egypt. If she stays touristy, she should be fine, but doesn't seem like the safest place in times like these.

That said, this stuff was all her dads. in fact, it was all in the original boxes with the mailing addresses still on them from when he sent them to her. She said she never was able to hook them up. She moved a lot and didn't know what cables went to what. All the cables needed were there though.

ensitmike

ensitmike

Audioholic Intern
Schweet! Let us know how they sound to you. :)
It all sounds amazing! I listened to a lot of different stuff, but Tennessee Whiskey - Chris Stapleton got me for some weird reason. Just fit these speakers really really well. Those PSB's have surprisingly even but full bass response. Made that baseline sound like silk. Left my subwoofer out of it for today and was really happy with the smooth warmth coming out of them.

That said I need the sub down the road because I have to listen at low levels (apartment) and usually lack truly full bottom end. Can't wait to listen at normal/high volume levels. Need to move ha.

Unfortunately, the Klipsch bookshelf speakers that I have are too sensitive. It brings out a buzz which isn't there with the PSB set.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
It all sounds amazing! I listened to a lot of different stuff, but Tennessee Whiskey - Chris Stapleton got me for some weird reason. Just fit these speakers really really well. Those PSB's have surprisingly even but full bass response. Made that baseline sound like silk. Left my subwoofer out of it for today and was really happy with the smooth warmth coming out of them.

That said I need the sub down the road because I have to listen at low levels (apartment) and usually lack truly full bottom end. Can't wait to listen at normal/high volume levels. Need to move ha.

Unfortunately, the Klipsch bookshelf speakers that I have are too sensitive. It brings out a buzz which isn't there with the PSB set.
Nice! Amazing is always good.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That's weird. I don't understand how that would work. I'm hoping somebody can enlighten me.

ensitmike

ensitmike

Audioholic Intern
That's weird. I don't understand how that would work. I'm hoping somebody can enlighten me.
Truthfully, I don't know the issue. I just have a buzz. Could be ground but could also be the very beginnings of the caps aging.

What I was referring to is the speaker efficiency though. The sensitivity of the speakers makes them inherently louder I believe. The buzz is MUCH louder on the Klipsch. Could also be the ohm ratings being different but the efficiency made sense from what I've read.

• PSB 90dB
  • Klipsch 96dB
If not related to sensitivity then I have no clue why it is so loud on the Klipsch.

edit: my rationale is that the buzz is independent of volume. so whatever frequency is being pumped to the speakers is 6 decibels louder per watt (whatever wattage that tone is coming through at) on the Klipsch.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Truthfully, I don't know the issue. I just have a buzz. Could be ground but could also be the very beginnings of the caps aging.

What I was referring to is the speaker efficiency though. The sensitivity of the speakers makes them inherently louder I believe. The buzz is MUCH louder on the Klipsch. Could also be the ohm ratings being different but the efficiency made sense from what I've read.

• PSB 90dB
  • Klipsch 96dB
If not related to sensitivity then I have no clue why it is so loud on the Klipsch.

edit: my rationale is that the buzz is independent of volume. so whatever frequency is being pumped to the speakers is 6 decibels louder per watt (whatever wattage that tone is coming through at) on the Klipsch.
Even more weird is that I just got done reading about a similar situation from another thread. Klipsch was involved again. I was more focused on the Outlaw 975 pre pro that I had bought and its purportedly low output voltage. It seems like I should have immediately made the association but I've been doing stupid stuff a lot lately. Anyway, as was suspected in the case linked, I think it's a combination of sensitive speakers, low output voltage and a low gain amp that causes your buzz/hum.

Let me ask you if your amp and pre pro have a mix of 2 and 3 pronged power cords. The linked thread has a suggestion, from TLS Guy, to lift the ground on the amp. That might help you use your Klipsch speakers.

EDIT: The S&V review of your GFP-565. The listed output voltage is 2.0 volts but skimming the measurements doesn't show me that the spec was verified. I'm hoping one of our resident brainiacs will enlighten us both as to how exactly this works. I'm starting to think that calling them brainiacs is counter productive. :D

Last edited:
ensitmike

ensitmike

Audioholic Intern
Even more weird is that I just got done reading about a similar situation from another thread. Klipsch was involved again. I was more focused on the Outlaw 975 pre pro that I had bought and its purportedly low output voltage. It seems like I should have immediately made the association but I've been doing stupid stuff a lot lately. Anyway, as was suspected in the case linked, I think it's a combination of sensitive speakers, low output voltage and a low gain amp that causes your buzz/hum.

Let me ask you if your amp and pre pro have a mix of 2 and 3 pronged power cords. The linked thread has a suggestion, from TLS Guy, to lift the ground on the amp. That might help you use your Klipsch speakers.

EDIT: The S&V review of your GFP-565. The listed output voltage is 2.0 volts but skimming the measurements doesn't show me that the spec was verified. I'm hoping one of our resident brainiacs will enlighten us both as to how exactly this works. I'm starting to think that calling them brainiacs is counter productive. :D
I like how he "forgot" it had a problem ha. Glad it worked out for you though. Can I ask the sensitivity of the speakers you ended up using with it?

That said, both of the plugs on my amp and pre are 2 prong. I haven't yet run into voltage ratings but from what I've read it runs about 50 wpc.

Would like to hear what other people have to say as well. I have a question about ground loops--does the sound go up when you turn up the volume?

I had one amp before this that also had a buzz which was even louder. Both cases the sound does not change with volume.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I like how he "forgot" it had a problem ha.
You can take Irv at his word. I do. His offer of a refund shows that he takes me at my word too. It's not like he was going to get the unit shipped back. He would have just returned the money. At least that's what I think would have happened. We've both been on the site for a long time and know what we can expect from each other.

Here's an article on ground loops. I knew the article was out there so I did a search and picked it from these results. A quick read said that:

... if adjusting the volume on your processor/receiver does not alter the hum level, then the problem must be occurring after that point. It if occurred prior, then the receiver/processor would typically raise the overall level of noise.
Infinity Primus P140 have a sensitivity of 86 dB. It was just a test run. I have no idea what to do with that pre pro right now. I only bought it because Irv typically has really nice gear. I figure good enough for him, good enough for me and of course the price was @ 50% market value. Here's a broke Outlaw 975 for $15 more than what I paid Irv. I'll build a third system around it eventually. I just need Irv to sell me an amp ... and maybe some speakers. And a sub. :D

ensitmike

ensitmike

Audioholic Intern
You can take Irv at his word. I do. His offer of a refund shows that he takes me at my word too. It's not like he was going to get the unit shipped back. He would have just returned the money. At least that's what I think would have happened. We've both been on the site for a long time and know what we can expect from each other.

Here's an article on ground loops. I knew the article was out there so I did a search and picked it from these results. A quick read said that:

Infinity Primus P140 have a sensitivity of 86 dB. It was just a test run. I have no idea what to do with that pre pro right now. I only bought it because Irv typically has really nice gear. I figure good enough for him, good enough for me and of course the price was @ 50% market value. Here's a broke Outlaw 975 for $15 more than what I paid Irv. I'll build a third system around it eventually. I just need Irv to sell me an amp ... and maybe some speakers. And a sub. :D
Well in that case that is great. Didn't realize the history you guys had.

Thank you for those articles. I will take a look at them tonight. That quote is exactly what I was curious about though. I saw a guy with a guitar amp on youtube who had a hum that went up with the volume. He used one of those hum cancelling devices that you plug into so it was definitely ground related. My hum is fixed, so I am thinking it is some capacitors starting to go and is "after" the plug. Possibly some solder joints as well.

My first buy which was a Yamaha AVR wasn't worth fixing but I'm thinking these Adcom separates might be. I live near industry so we have a great tech near by, just have to decide if it is worth it.

or I might just start messaging Irv to sell me stuff. haha! ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis