No HDMI Output with Component Source

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
A reader asks Dr. A why he can't view some of his material on the TV he bought. Lots of people run into this problem, so we figured we'd take it to Dr. A for a solution.

Discuss "No HDMI Output with Component Source" here. Read the article.

D

Drag0nFly

Enthusiast
1080p via component on the PS3

I realize the article doesn't delve into specifics, but I just wanted to clear this up as it is mentioned on Wikipedia that the PS3 does indeed output 1080p over component--

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

If this is the case it is curious why other brands aren't able to offer it. I'd much rather run a quality component coaxial cable instead of messing around with twisted-pair HDMI with its HDCP nonsense, video dropouts/handshaking issues not mentioning problems with longer cable runs et al.

Perhaps this is would make a good subject for a petition? :cool:
(This DRM crap has sure dragged on for way too long...)

And if it is limited in software on a disc-by-disc basis I see the rise of mods enabling this in a similar way as those counteracting region limitations...

S

Simoncable

Enthusiast
Quality HDMI version 1.3 cable certainly performs much better than composite cable, when high definition is required.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
no argument there.

Quality HDMI version 1.3 cable certainly performs much better than composite cable, when high definition is required.
Composite cables don't pass high def signals.

D

Drag0nFly

Enthusiast
Well, my question was for component (YPbPr) cables; not composite. What a/v enthusiast uses composite anyway?

The general idea was to get around the problems with HDMI without sacrificing quality.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well, my question was for component (YPbPr) cables; not composite. What a/v enthusiast uses composite anyway?

The general idea was to get around the problems with HDMI without sacrificing quality.
Well, my response was to simoncable's comment, not yours.

Didn't you read the post? Oh, you newbies...

S

Simoncable

Enthusiast

Do you mean component AV cable doesn't work well, so you use HDMI cable?

S

Simoncable

Enthusiast
Composite cables don't pass high def signals.
You are right.
The highest resolution that the composite cable supports is 480I.
Component Cables supports resolutions of: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p.

However, many devices don't work well if you use component cable to get 1080P resolution.

S

Simoncable

Enthusiast
Sorry, I read that article just now.
Yeah, you can choose only those two options.
This means the result you got is perhaps 480P.

D

Drag0nFly

Enthusiast
Well, my response was to simoncable's comment, not yours.

Didn't you read the post? Oh, you newbies...
Mr. Sensitive over here. Who said I was replying to your post? The whole thing got derailed due to the whole component vs. composite mixup.

Perhaps you "non-newbie" could actually post something informative instead of nitpicking?

What a pointless thread.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
That is true, but Component has equal quality signal

Composite video is always lower resolution at 480; it doesn't have HD. However with component (Y, Pr, Pb) you can obtain the same video quality as HDMI if you run at the same resolution whether it is 720p, 1080i or 1080p. That is 720p from HDMI will have the same PQ as 720p from componenet. ,l ikewise 1080i from cHDMI will be the same as 1080i from component. If you try to compare 720p with 1080p you will see a difference in PQ.

Some AVRs will upconvert a lower resolution signal to a higher resolution signal. While it looks better and sharper, you still do not obtain the same PQ as a native HD input.

D

Drag0nFly

Enthusiast
Composite video is always lower resolution at 480; it doesn't have HD. However with component (Y, Pr, Pb) you can obtain the same video quality as HDMI if you run at the same resolution whether it is 720p, 1080i or 1080p. That is 720p from HDMI will have the same PQ as 720p from componenet. ,l ikewise 1080i from cHDMI will be the same as 1080i from component. If you try to compare 720p with 1080p you will see a difference in PQ.

Some AVRs will upconvert a lower resolution signal to a higher resolution signal. While it looks better and sharper, you still do not obtain the same PQ as a native HD input.
My point exactly. I would much rather use component video instead of HDMI (at 1080p); but obviously not all DVD/Blu-Ray players support it. Since the PS3 is claimed to support it, though, there must be others also capable of outputting 1080p over component; since it appears this is some DRM-type restriction (maybe even set on a disc-by-disc basic as suggested in the article)

Also, I could care less about the audio support bundled into HDMI, since getting the same functionality would mean replacing both sources & pre-amps/receivers in one go (I am referring to SACD & DVD-Audio)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis