No audio - Pioneer VSX-522-K

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Traison, and welcome to the forum! The fact that you do not get sound from the speaker setup makes me believe that it isn't because some setting got toggled accidentally from the remote (which does sometimes cause this). After all of your troubleshooting, the first thing that came to mind to me was to check the fuses. Have you done that, yet?

Also, you mentioned that you can't get the reset function to work for you. There's a note in the manual that it may not work if ARC is turned on or if "Standby Through" is set to OFF, so check those two settings.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm gonna throw this out there, but it is exactly opposite of Adam's hunch and it may be covered with checking all the HDMI inputs, but......

These VSX Pios typically have a "signal select" button on the remote that toggles auto/analog/digi. If you hit that button by mistake.....no sound! The remote may also have a button that will let you feed video from 1 source and audio from a 2nd source, and that could also cause this problem.

I can tell you that my "signal select" button gets hit by mistake at least every couple of months, then I gotta go correct the problem. The first time it happened, it took me a looooonnnnng time to figure out and correct.

T

Traison

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies guys :) First off I got no clue the receiver even had fuses, so will have to look on how to inspect those. I have tried switching arc to off to do the factor reset and still doesn't do anything.

My signal select button doesn't seem to do anything for me, when I push it, the receiver just sits on H and nothing happens. As for a split audio/video button on my remote, I have went over the remote with a fine tooth comb and haven't seen anything like that.

My setup is PS3/PS4/WiiU into BD/Game/DVD HDMI ports then from the output HDMI port to my TV (though i've tried all 4 ports with all consoles and different HDMI cords for each console)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the replies guys :) First off I got no clue the receiver even had fuses, so will have to look on how to inspect those. I have tried switching arc to off to do the factor reset and still doesn't do anything.

My signal select button doesn't seem to do anything for me, when I push it, the receiver just sits on H and nothing happens. As for a split audio/video button on my remote, I have went over the remote with a fine tooth comb and haven't seen anything like that.

My setup is PS3/PS4/WiiU into BD/Game/DVD HDMI ports then from the output HDMI port to my TV (though i've tried all 4 ports with all consoles and different HDMI cords for each console)
Do you ever hear the relays kick on?

I *think* that under normal operations, you should turn on the AVR and nothing happens for about 5 seconds. After about 5 seconds, you should hear a "click" as the relays kick on to connect the speakers.

Do you ever get that audible "click" or not?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yup there is a definite click when I turn it on and off.
Well, that is a good sign.

It kind of makes me doubt a fuse. And, if there were a speaker or hardware fault, I really would not expect to get the relays to activate.

My $ is still on a config or setting problem.

I think you really need to get that factory reset figured out. Otherwise, call Pio customer service.

edit: have you tried any other source/connection besides HDMI? That could help you determine if the problem is universal or confined to only HDMI inputs. And, did you double check that all of your inputs are still assigned correctly?

T

Traison

Audiophyte
Yeah I dunno whats wrong with the factory reset. Says push power+band button front of box, I do that and nothing happens, might have to call them.

I do have some Component cables in use, and a optical audio cable lying around. Will try those out.

What do you mean by inputs being assigned correctly?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My Pio VSX-82txs does not have auto-assigned or permanently assigned inputs at all.

I must go into the config menus and tell the AVR what input it should be playing when I push the particular button on the remote.

I would assume that your 522 is a similar beast. If the inputs aren't assigned correctly.....no sound and possibly no video either

T

Traison

Audiophyte
Hmm my config menus don't have anything like that that I can see, it's pretty bare bones...
I tried hooking up my Wii with RCA/Composite cables and again no sound from those, but I do get video. An oddity though, I get a short sound from my Sub Woofer when I turn the receiver on, like a quick Whoosh sound. So something is happening there for a split second, this only happens when it is set to the composite connection though.

Edit: After reading a bunch of reviews on the box it self, it seems a lot of people have theirs stop working after about an 18 month window, pretty convenient mine was a bit past that and stopped working. I dunno, it doesn't make any sense that nothing is working. Pretty much sold on buying a new one atm, staying the hell away from Pioneer though v.v

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hmm my config menus don't have anything like that that I can see, it's pretty bare bones...
I tried hooking up my Wii with RCA/Composite cables and again no sound from those, but I do get video. An oddity though, I get a short sound from my Sub Woofer when I turn the receiver on, like a quick Whoosh sound. So something is happening there for a split second, this only happens when it is set to the composite connection though.

Edit: After reading a bunch of reviews on the box it self, it seems a lot of people have theirs stop working after about an 18 month window, pretty convenient mine was a bit past that and stopped working. I dunno, it doesn't make any sense that nothing is working. Pretty much sold on buying a new one atm, staying the hell away from Pioneer though v.v
My Pio Elite has been rock-solid for ~8 years now.

But, I will probably move away from Pio next time too.

I have ALWAYS really liked Yamaha, and my last AVR that was pre-HDMI was a Yammy.

So, next time, I will probably go back to Yammy, or I might try Denon.

F

Ffryguy

Audiophyte
I purchased a used Panasonic VSX-522-K and remote. It has worked wonderfully for many months. Tonight I dropped the remote and the sound went away. I have rechecked all the items that were previously listed. What could I have pressed reaching for the remote that would have stopped the sound? I can get sound in the speakers using the tuner mode.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum! Sorry that I'm too lazy to reread the thread...so I don't know what all you've checked. :oops: :)

If you can hear the tuner, then you clearly didn't mute it. Did you check the SIGNAL SEL button on the remote? That toggles between HDMI, analog, and digital inputs.

L

left twix

Audiophyte
well my problem is different...got the system last year.. went out and found so really nice Morants tower speaker...and got pioneer surround speakers.. went into my sp distinction and turned on the surround sound and turned off centers and subwoofers.. i have all my connection going to the tv and from the tv via a A/V cord plugged into my sat/tv port. this way i can watch something and listen to music without the damn receiver being required to be set to the item im listening to or watching just to use item...mostly xbox one and jamming to music ...so anyway i just recently got the surround hooked up and i did a surround sound test 5.1 and 7.1 and i noticed that my morantz speakers have the surround sound comming from them...in fact the only time my surround sound speakers work at all is when i change the setting to ext stereo...then its not even surround sound just more speakers really...my mind is blown at what this could be ive tried changing settings to see if any improvement...use the automatic audio adjuster then manual celebrated it myself putting more power to surround sound....changed the hdmi from amp to surround back to amp....nothing seems to pull the surround sound from the front speakers even when my setting is on neo:6 cinema i get no surround sound

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
well my problem is different...got the system last year.. went out and found so really nice Morants tower speaker...and got pioneer surround speakers.. went into my sp distinction and turned on the surround sound and turned off centers and subwoofers.. i have all my connection going to the tv and from the tv via a A/V cord plugged into my sat/tv port. this way i can watch something and listen to music without the damn receiver being required to be set to the item im listening to or watching just to use item...mostly xbox one and jamming to music ...so anyway i just recently got the surround hooked up and i did a surround sound test 5.1 and 7.1 and i noticed that my morantz speakers have the surround sound comming from them...in fact the only time my surround sound speakers work at all is when i change the setting to ext stereo...then its not even surround sound just more speakers really...my mind is blown at what this could be ive tried changing settings to see if any improvement...use the automatic audio adjuster then manual celebrated it myself putting more power to surround sound....changed the hdmi from amp to surround back to amp....nothing seems to pull the surround sound from the front speakers even when my setting is on neo:6 cinema i get no surround sound

i have all my connection going to the tv and from the tv via a A/V cord plugged into my sat/tv port.

Yeah, and that is almost certainly the problem, right there!!! Your TV is down-mixing all the surround sound to stereo and then sending the stereo signal to the reciever. Go back and hook everything up to the AVR, then 1 HDMI cable goes from AVR output to the TV HDMI input. Then, you use the AVR to select the source. Yes, you have to turn on the AVR for any activity, big deal, that is the correct way to do it.

When you say "from the TV via a A/V cord"----What kind of cord (cable) are you using?

Is it an optical connection, or is it the old-school red/white RCA connection?

L

left twix

Audiophyte
i have all my connection going to the tv and from the tv via a A/V cord plugged into my sat/tv port.

Yeah, and that is almost certainly the problem, right there!!! Your TV is down-mixing all the surround sound to stereo and then sending the stereo signal to the reciever. Go back and hook everything up to the AVR, then 1 HDMI cable goes from AVR output to the TV HDMI input. Then, you use the AVR to select the source. Yes, you have to turn on the AVR for any activity, big deal, that is the correct way to do it.

When you say "from the TV via a A/V cord"----What kind of cord (cable) are you using?

Is it an optical connection, or is it the old-school red/white RCA connection?

old school RCA.........so if i go back to using the HDMI ports in the receiver is there a way where i can turn off the switch function of it so i can listen to music while i watch tv or play xbox? Cause if not i may just settle with this loss of surround sound and just keep it on ext stereo

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
So, to be clear, you have 2 channels hooked up to your AVR, yet you expect 5.1 channels output to the speakers. Do you now understand the root of your problem now? It simply can't work that way.

On my Pio Elite 82vsx---I have an option to select a video source from input A, while playing audio for input B. Read your manual and see if yours also has that feature.

Be aware, that "ext stereo" setting is simply sending a stereo signal to all your speakers. That would likely be awkward for movies and terrible for most gaming.

Depending on your gear, you may be able to make 2 connections--1 directly to the TV and 1 directly to the AVR. If you can do that, then you can do what you want with that setup too. The tradeoff is double the wiring.

Edit--A very few TVs may be able to output the entire 5.1 surround sound via optical to the receiver. Read your TV manual, if you are very lucky, your TV may do what you want by simply swapping to an optical connection. Forget about 7.1 with this method completely, it ain't gonna happen.

L

left twix

Audiophyte
So, to be clear, you have 2 channels hooked up to your AVR, yet you expect 5.1 channels output to the speakers. Do you now understand the root of your problem now? It simply can't work that way.

On my Pio Elite 82vsx---I have an option to select a video source from input A, while playing audio for input B. Read your manual and see if yours also has that feature.

Be aware, that "ext stereo" setting is simply sending a stereo signal to all your speakers. That would likely be awkward for movies and terrible for most gaming.

Depending on your gear, you may be able to make 2 connections--1 directly to the TV and 1 directly to the AVR. If you can do that, then you can do what you want with that setup too. The tradeoff is double the wiring.

Edit--A very few TVs may be able to output the entire 5.1 surround sound via optical to the receiver. Read your TV manual, if you are very lucky, your TV may do what you want by simply swapping to an optical connection. Forget about 7.1 with this method completely, it ain't gonna happen.

my tv is only a year old...from my understanding the reciver is what generated the surround sound not the tv.. the tv just sends the signal or else why get a receiver at all just use a sound bar// my reciever has 7.1 set up for ither fronts or back im not that advanced yet........ither way i fixed it.. had sb on and s off switched it around and surround works

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
OK, then that means you had a config/setting problem.

The AVR does not "generate the surround sound", nor does the TV. The SOURCE generates the surround sound (the AVR DECODES the surround sound but it can't do that if you only send it 2 channels)

You want an AVR to drive the speakers and (most people) use it for switching sources.

Either way, as long as you're happy with it, then keep using it.

But, I promise you that if your connection from the TV to the AVR is red/white RCA cables, then you are absolutely NOT GETTING TRUE SURROUND SOUND! You might have sound coming out of your surround speakers, but it is NOT discrete surround sound channels that it is playing, likely it just mirrors the stereo signal that the front L/R speakers are playing.

P

Phreak

Audiophyte
Can any one help?

I have a Pioneer VSX 522K. I have gone through the OSD & can get the test sound working. The problem now is when I go to work the system I get no sound at all. I have 2x Wharfdale book shelf speakers 1x wharfdale center speaker & 2x Wharfdale surround floor tower speakers. I haven't tried connect the sub yet as I want to get this part sorted first.

I am connecting this into my Sony 70" TV via HDMI channel but cause my sat is run coxal cables I have to run most of my channels via this way. Even when I go HD via normal TV I still get no sound.

This is really starting to annoy me now.

H

Hometree

Audiophyte
About three years ago I purchased a Pioneer VSX-522-K reciever, and 5 Energy speakers, center, front left and right, and surround left and right. Since then I have had an Xbox360 and more recently an Xbox One hooked up via HDMI cable to the "GAME" HDMI in-port, and the reciever hooked up to a Samsung LCD tv via HDMI cable. With the Xbox360, I had noticed that sometimes I would not have audio when I first turned the Xbox on, but I was always able to fix that issue by simply turning both the Xbox and the reciever off, unplugging the HDMI cable from both, and plugging it back in, and that would fix it until the next time. I had no such issues with my Xbox One, and since the day I bought it and hooked it up, I have had no audio issues with it until about two nights ago, when I noticed every once in a while, the audio would cut out for a split second. The next night, (last night) I turned it on and there was no audio what so ever, except for every once in a while I would get split second burst of audio, and now I am not even getting that but I still have video. I have tried swapping HDMI cables and HDMI in-ports on the reciever to no effect, and at first I thought the HDMI out-port on the Xbox One was damaged as the cable seems to sit very loose inside it, but when I plug the Xbox360 back into the reciever, I still get no audio, yet when I plug either game console direct to the tv via HDMI cable, I have both video and audio for both consoles. Next I attempted to plug my Samsung S3 phone into the reciever via an AV audio cable plugged into the "CD" audio ports, and got no audio at all while playing music on my phone, until playimg around with the settings I selected the "Pure Direct" setting when pressing the "Auto Surround/Stream Direct" button on the face of the reciever, so I was able to hear music from my phone yet still no audio from either game console. In the audio settings for the Xbox One, I have tried every audio setting, and currently have it set to HDMI 5.1 uncompressed. Any help would appreciated, thank you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis