NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Well played "long game" acquisition!
(IIRC, seems like you've been angling for some DM/Salk speaker goodness for a while!)
Yeah, Salk has been on my radar for ages. I honestly didn't think it was something I'd ever acquire. I'm happy that I did and they're fantastic!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, Salk has been on my radar for ages. I honestly didn't think it was something I'd ever acquire. I'm happy that I did and they're fantastic!
If you keep them longer than the 30-day return time, we'll teach you the secret Salk Owner Handshake.

In the meantime, try not to drool on them. And never let family or neighbors fondle them without first washing their hands.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
If you keep them longer than the 30-day return time, we'll teach you the secret Salk Owner Handshake.

In the meantime, try not to drool on them. And never let family or neighbors fondle them without first washing their hands.
Don't worry, I plan on keeping these speakers for 20 years too!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, that's my plan. If I can't get the app working to limit things to 200-250 Hz and under I'll just leave it off.

Edited to add: I was a little nervous when it came time to put the plinths on! And removing those magnets over the RAAL's had me a bit nervous too.
I'd just let it handle the sub and leave it at that. Since you have a mini, there might not even be a reason to mess with Audyssey other than Dynamic EQ.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd just let it handle the sub and leave it at that. Since you have a mini, there might not even be a reason to mess with Audyssey other than Dynamic EQ.
Is there a way to only have it work with the sub for DEQ?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Is there a way to only have it work with the sub for DEQ?
Not that I am aware of. If you turn on DEQ it does it's thing on all attached speakers. You could turn off DEQ and raise the sub levels or setup a personal EQ in the Audyssey app?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Not that I am aware of. If you turn on DEQ it does it's thing on all attached speakers. You could turn off DEQ and raise the sub levels or setup a personal EQ in the Audyssey app?
I guess for music there is the L/R bypass option, which I had forgotten about. o_O

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW, I have the system running with Audyssey curtained at the approx. Shroeder Frequency of my room... So no correction on anything above where I set that Curtain... 225Hz IIRC. If you are able to get the speakers to play nice with Aud, I found this to be a good way to do it. :)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
FWIW, I have the system running with Audyssey curtained at the approx. Shroeder Frequency of my room... So no correction on anything above where I set that Curtain... 225Hz IIRC. If you are able to get the speakers to play nice with Aud, I found this to be a good way to do it. :)
Yeah, that was my intention, but the app is not working properly for me.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, AVR Audyssey has no issues and gets the distances right off the bat.
Congratulations on your new speaker set up man! Absolutely gorgeous Tower's. I haven't read your whole thread yet. But the shipping on Pallet was most Definitely a nice touch to make sure Your fine speakers didn't get damaged. Again Congratulations! know your enjoy them!!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
standard curly
That's a pretty high standard to start at. I like the way the speaker coloring works with all the black gear but still screams wood grain. The first time I ever noticed the fit and finish of a 'box' was a small-ish Dunhill humidor that sold for around 3 grand. What was the uptick to fiddle back?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
That's a pretty high standard to start at. I like the way the speaker coloring works with all the black gear but still screams wood grain. The first time I ever noticed the fit and finish of a 'box' was a small-ish Dunhill humidor that sold for around 3 grand. What was the uptick to fiddle back?
About $800 or so.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
I don't think I had a thread before, so I figured I'd start one now. Here's the system as it stands now:

Gear is as of now:

TV: Samsung UN55H7150
AVR: Denon AVR-X4000
Media devices: Nvidia Shield TV pro (2017) and a Sony Blu-Ray player
Speakers: Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR 950 mains and VR 10 center; NHT Superzero 2.1 surrounds
Subwoofer: Ultimax 18" powered by a Crown XLS1502
Signal Processing: MiniDSP for the sub
SPAWN eh? Nice, one of the best movie OST compilations out there....

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

@Swerd @NINaudio
Nice choices on the Salks. Swerd was my Salk-crack dealer back in 2017. He let me in on the secret stuff.
What do they call that finish? Curly something but I'm not sure. There are so many options.
I believe (I have quoted myself incorrectly before) I have the Curly Cherry in a straight up finish (no dyes etc).
I have had them since 2017 and they are still drop dead gorgeous to look at and to listen to.
I follow Swerd's advice and don't let people fondle them even if they do wash their hands. Some things in the house are just MINE. And these are mine. How many people do you know have birth certificates for their speakers? Mine are dutifully displayed in my music room.

Great stuff. I love learning about other peoples choices. Its interesting to see where others will plunk their hard earned dollars. Talk is one thing: putting down cash is real committment. Hope you are still enjoying them.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
@Swerd @NINaudio
Nice choices on the Salks. Swerd was my Salk-crack dealer back in 2017. He let me in on the secret stuff.
What do they call that finish? Curly something but I'm not sure. There are so many options.
I believe (I have quoted myself incorrectly before) I have the Curly Cherry in a straight up finish (no dyes etc).
I have had them since 2017 and they are still drop dead gorgeous to look at and to listen to.
I follow Swerd's advice and don't let people fondle them even if they do wash their hands. Some things in the house are just MINE. And these are mine. How many people do you know have birth certificates for their speakers? Mine are dutifully displayed in my music room.

Great stuff. I love learning about other peoples choices. Its interesting to see where others will plunk their hard earned dollars. Talk is one thing: putting down cash is real committment. Hope you are still enjoying them.
I went with Curly Maple in a smoky silver finish with burst edges.

I'm still loving them.

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I went with Curly Maple in a smoky silver finish with burst edges.

I'm still loving them.
The Salk cabinetry and finishes are a marvel. I don't know of a single owner who's written anything about their own that fails to comment on them. I have done a fair amount of wood work in my life and have friends with which it is a passion. Nobody does a finish like Salk that I am aware of.

And then there's the sound..........

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis