NIN downward spiral SACD on PS3

P

pjoseph

Full Audioholic
Well just picked this up yesterday....

Now from reading around I believe that this should not work using the digital (optical) output on the PS3. It has to be setup to do the audio through HDMI.

So switched it around changed it to audio through HDMI and it does not seem to get loud at all. My receiver is reading an Analog signal as well not sure if that is correct.

So i tried it the other way through digital output (optical) sounded better but only had 2 channels comming in according to the receiver. I belive it should be 5.1.

Any ideas

I am using a marantz sr4001.
thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There is NO player out there that can pass SACD over optical; you are getting sound because it is being passed as PCM and via optical you will only get 2 of the 6 channels. In the PS3 there should be a setting for SACD priority: CD, 2CH, or Multichannel. If you don't set it to multichannel, it won't play multichannel.

The PS3 can pass it via analog (stereo only also) and HDMI, and only certain models can play SACDs.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
In the PS3 there should be a setting for SACD priority: CD, 2CH, or Multichannel. If you don't set it to multichannel, it won't play multichannel.
It's not like other SACD players. What actually happens is each layer shows up as a different disc, like how a DVD or Blu-ray shows up. When you put in a hybrid with multi-channel and stereo under music you see three discs - CD layer, Stereo SACD layer and Multi-channel SACD layer; it's a pretty cool way to show it, there's no priority afaik.

P

pjoseph

Full Audioholic
I dont recall more then one disc showing in the ps3 menu when i put the disc in. I will try it when i get home to be sure.

Thanks

P

pjoseph

Full Audioholic
Well from reading up some more on sacd's I dont believe my ps3 can even play sacd's I read that the box needs to have that logo if not it does not play them.
So if this is true is there going to be any upcoming software fixes for this?

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
I dont recall more then one disc showing in the ps3 menu when i put the disc in. I will try it when i get home to be sure.

Thanks
It definitely shows up that way, my friend has the original 60GB model which plays SACD.

Well from reading up some more on sacd's I dont believe my ps3 can even play sacd's I read that the box needs to have that logo if not it does not play them.
No there is no software fix that will allow non-SACD compatible PS3's to play SACD's. The models that do play them for North America are the original 60 and 20GB models and the special edition MGS 80GB models. The current 80GB model and the 40GB model that came out do not play SACD. Mine does not play SACD.

Consider the DV-48 from Pioneer Elite, it goes for around $99 from places like Vanns. It listed originally at $299. It plays SACD and DVD-A.

T

The 7th Taylor

Enthusiast
I did not know that a PS3 even played SACDs?
See PS3SACD.com

There is NO player out there that can pass SACD over optical; you are getting sound because it is being passed as PCM and via optical you will only get 2 of the 6 channels.
Not true; as of v2.01, PS3 provides digital audio output from SACD via optical, but it's downconverted from DSD to 44.1 kHz 16-bit PCM and stero only, so no better than RBCD.

Check the PS3 SACD FAQ: "How do I tell if my PS3 plays SA-CD?"

No, it's a hardware matter.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis