Next used car suggestions

jinjuku

jinjuku

So VW is buying back cars. One of them will be mine.

Looking for, in order:

1. Bullet Proof / Reliability

2. Cargo Capacity (my Jetta was a wagon)

3. Fuel economy

4. Low maintenance cost / ease of maintenance (something the VW engineers made sure you didn't get with the Jetta).

Vibe/Matrix
Mazda 6 Wagon

Others?

Thx.

Thinking max $12K

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Honda CR-V fits all those requirements.

1. Bullet Proof / Reliability
My wife is on her second CR-V. It's got about 80,000 miles on it. The only work we've had to have done on it so far not including consumables (oil, battery, tires, wiper blades, etc) was to replace a power window motor. Her previous CR-V was similar, needing only an A/C compressor for the 150K miles or so we drove it. We've never given a second thought whether she'd make it to and from work. And since the CR-V is all-wheel drive, it handles snow covered roads like a mountain goat.

2. Cargo Capacity
We've transported all sorts of crap in that CR-V -- twin pillowtop mattress and other furniture (actually, come to think of it, we even brought home our king-size Bed In a Box mattress and unassembled base); mulch; tons of Christmas presents, whatever. We just roll one of the back seats forward and we've got instant extra room. My wife reckons Hermione Granger must've cast an Undetectable Extension Charm on it.

3. Fuel economy
It's got a four-banger, so it averages better than 21mpg city / 24 highway. We generally get about 320 miles or so on 13 gallons of gas when driving to Florida from Tennessee.

4. Low maintenance cost / ease of maintenance
Well, it's not the sort of car you can fix with a pair of nylons and duct tape, but the infrequency of needing maintenance easily offsets the cost of having belts replaced or whatever.

Here's a 2003 with < 65,000 miles for $6200. It may not be pretty, but it should be dependable, assuming it's got a clean CarFax report. It's been on the market for over 2 months, so I bet you could easily get them to come down on the price a few hundred. Bonus: it has a cassette player! But you'd have plenty of money left over to install a lift kit with new wheels, tires, and nerf bars if you want, upgrade the sound system, reupholster / re-paint it... HGTV Property Brothers stuff. Old + cheap + low mileage is just begging to be modded.

Here's a 2009 with leather and heated door mirrors that you might *possibly* be able to haggle down to your $12,000 max. The leather and dual-zone automatic climate controls might spoil you.

Here's a 2011 Special Edition that's been on the market for 3 months that you'd probably be able to haggle down to your $12,000 max. It has leather, but appears to lack the automatic climate controls and heated side mirrors of the 2009 EX-L. Still, it's super sharp.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Don't discount Hyundai. There are about 6 - 8 in my extended family (my 2004 was the first) and no major problems reported and, believe me, if there were, everyone know would know about it.es.

We've had only two isues: I needed a new radiator, but the car had 80k on it and the wife's transmission in her 2009 started slipping at about 90k. They replaced it free of charge.

Nowadays, I'd lump Kia in here as well.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you want bulletproof - you should only stick to Japanese brands.
Above mentioned Honda CR-V is not bad way to go, but cargo space is not that big and Honda's is typically depreciating value slower than other brands - ergo it would be harder to find a cheap one.

May I recommend Subaru forester or outback

And no, I'm not try to sell you my outback. a) I love it too much and b) it's leased :p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm another one for CR-V. I bought a 2013 EX with 42,000 miles on it not too long ago and I've loved it. Just installed a receiver hitch on it this weekend.

I'll echo some of the the things BSA mentioned though and say that they do retain value pretty well, so finding on with the right combination of features and miles in your price range might be tough, although they'll run for a long long time.

jinjuku

jinjuku

If you want bulletproof - you should only stick to Japanese brands.
Above mentioned Honda CR-V is not bad way to go, but cargo space is not that big and Honda's is typically depreciating value slower than other brands - ergo it would be harder to find a cheap one.

May I recommend Subaru forester or outback

And no, I'm not try to sell you my outback. a) I love it too much and b) it's leased :p
Are head gaskets still an issue with the H Opposed 4 bangers?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Can't confirm that. Never heard of issues plaguing specifically flat engines

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Ford owns Mazda. If you're a fan of Ford I guess it's ok. There are no Mitsubishi dealerships around here, so I'm unfamiliar with their stuff -- other than having ridden in a friend's Mitsubishi pickup truck. It didn't break down a single time the entire afternoon, so I guess that's good.

This may or may not be a worthwhile indicator, but I reckon there's a direct correlation between resale value and expected longevity (not counting luxury / exotic cars). There's a reason used Hondas and Toyotas hold a high resale value even with higher mileage, I think. My first Honda, an 88 Accord, had over 200,000 miles and was still going strong when I sold it.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
It's just my opinion, but with used cars, the way previous owners treated it is more important than bs about brand reputation. I wouldn't buy a used car I didn't know the lineage of, or, alternatively, that didn't come with a warranty.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Ford does not own Mazda. They had a partnership where they shared technology, like an SUV platform Ford used for a generation of the Explorer.
Ah, thanks for setting me straight. You and Wikipedia corrected my misconception. At some point Ford owned 33% of Mazda stock, but has been divesting its stock for the past few years.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Agreed, but all things being equal...
I know, and some cars do have inherent flaws or weaknesses, obviously, but a flawless Buick cared for like an only child might be a lot better than a CR-V maintained by a person who didn't care much or couldn't afford to.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
If you liked your Jetta, with the exception of the whole diesel thing, why not simply get another Jetta but gas powered? For in and around 12K you should be able to score a 2015 with about 12K miles. The only pain on the arse service I've heard has to do with the lack of an oil plug but pumping systems for that can be bought reasonably inexpensive. A Passat would have about 40K miles.

jinjuku

jinjuku

If you liked your Jetta, with the exception of the whole diesel thing, why not simply get another Jetta but gas powered? For in and around 12K you should be able to score a 2015 with about 12K miles. The only pain on the arse service I've heard has to do with the lack of an oil plug but pumping systems for that can be bought reasonably inexpensive. A Passat would have about 40K miles.

I've thought about it but don't know if I can bring myself around to it. It's a good point though.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
The thing is, at that price point, which of course is negotiable, a Jetta still gives you a warranty. With the low miles, 12K, you really don't have any concerns about things that'll cost you, potentially or otherwise like...

Shocks, struts, bearings, tie rods, A-arms, and sundry suspension parts

Transmission and engine

Timing belt and tensioner

Tires

All these things and more become factors as you go to cars that have increasingly greater mileage meaning you'll have to trust the dealer or private seller. You could take the high mileage vehicle to a mechanic but that's also an extra cost. Then if repairs are needed, that's on top of the 12K.

Further keep in mind, that older cars may are not just older, they may be a generation or two removed from current models in terms of architecture. In this case meaning that you'll need to do some homework to make sure that 6 cylinder Mazda is NOT using a Ford engine or that that particular vintage isn't prone to corrosion.

The case for the VW is that dealers and people are hurting because of that diesel stigma. Trust has been eroded and people have to move their inventory.

Other buying options you can consider are cars being sold by rental companies like Enterprise. Also leasing a previously owned car.

Of course do your homework. Consumer Reports annual issue, forums, find out the recalls that were done, CarFax, etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis