Newer sony receivers

A

andrey

Audiophyte
My old sony receiver recently died(no sound coming thru when connected thru optical, still works as radio :))

so i started to shop aroung for something newer to replace it but can hardly find anything with switching outlet for the subwoofer. i remember having problems with active subwoofer humm when receiver was off with subwoofer on. but once i switched to receiver with switching subwoofer outlet the problem was solved. when receiver was off sub was off too & no humm or anything.

But like i said now i can hardly fing anything with switching outlets.

so i can buy this - Sony HD510 that seems to be a nice receiver but my question is: does it have a feature built in to reduce subwoofer noise when the receiver is off or something or this is not an option?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The outlet on the receiver is not rated to support a subwoofer on ANY receiver. The problem with the sub is most likely ground loop hum.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/ground-loops-eliminating-system-hum-and-buzz.5667/
+1

Those outlets on the backs of AVRs aren't meant to have any amps plugged into them. Likely that lots of people kept plugging in amps to them and that was the driving force that removed them completely on the newer products.

The real answer is to address and correct the root cause of the hum. Fair warning, that can be one of the most frustrating aspects of this entire hobby.

A

andrey

Audiophyte
it every article that i've read about humm people refer to ground loop problem.
this is interesting because neither receiver nor subwoofer have ground prone in on their electrical plugs.
so how fixing an outlet will help if appliance doesn't use an outlet ground anyhow?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
#1 culprit of hum is usually your CATV feed. Give the thread I linked a read, but if your system has CATV (coax) connected, start by disconnecting that and see if the problem goes away. If it does, give the cable company a call and have them properly ground their feed.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Your wall outlet has a "hot" and a "neutral" connection.

Back at the panel, the neutral is tied to ground.

There are other causes of hum too, but usually ground loop is most common and can be the toughest to correct. How long is your sub LFE cable? Is it shielded RCA?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis