Newcomer looking for advice on setup.

T

thiscaliberlove

Audiophyte
This is my first post. I have been browsing through the site for some answers to my questions, and have gotten some great knowledge, but I did not see answers to some specific questions. I am currently upgrading my old HT/2 channel audio systerm from some old bottom of the line yamaha system given to me. I have already decided to create a Klipsch Reference 35 system. I currently own the rb-35's (Bookshelf fronts) and rc-35 (center). I have plans to purchase rf-35's (floorstands) and move bookshelfs to rears and get a rw-12 (sub). My question all has to do with how to set up system for a denon 3805 that i am going to purchase in the next month or so. I am pretty sure that the setup i mentioned will be fine, but I am wondering what to do for the 7.1. I will have great sounding surrounds in my bookshelfs, and i do not want to pay $400+ for the rears. Could I get away with buying a small klipsch speaker (rb-15) that handles 75 watts continuous??? The output for the receiver I believe is 125 per all 7 channels. would these speakers be able to handle that kind of power if they were the surrounds??? And please before anyone tells me to scrap the system and go with the rf-7's and 7 system, i am a college student interested in the hobby that is saving up paychecks, so I am looking for advice to optimize what I have now with what i have said i plan to purchase in the future. Inputs greatly appreciated.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I would say that as long as you stay in the reference series, you can get away with the inexpensive surrounds. And the power is a non-issue. They're never going to see anywhere near 75 watts, especially as surround speakers. As long as they sound good to you and mesh well with your RB-35s, go for it.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
thiscaliberlove said:
This is my first post. I have been browsing through the site for some answers to my questions, and have gotten some great knowledge, but I did not see answers to some specific questions. I am currently upgrading my old HT/2 channel audio systerm from some old bottom of the line yamaha system given to me. I have already decided to create a Klipsch Reference 35 system. I currently own the rb-35's (Bookshelf fronts) and rc-35 (center). I have plans to purchase rf-35's (floorstands) and move bookshelfs to rears and get a rw-12 (sub). My question all has to do with how to set up system for a denon 3805 that i am going to purchase in the next month or so. I am pretty sure that the setup i mentioned will be fine, but I am wondering what to do for the 7.1. I will have great sounding surrounds in my bookshelfs, and i do not want to pay $400+ for the rears. Could I get away with buying a small klipsch speaker (rb-15) that handles 75 watts continuous??? The output for the receiver I believe is 125 per all 7 channels. would these speakers be able to handle that kind of power if they were the surrounds??? And please before anyone tells me to scrap the system and go with the rf-7's and 7 system, i am a college student interested in the hobby that is saving up paychecks, so I am looking for advice to optimize what I have now with what i have said i plan to purchase in the future. Inputs greatly appreciated.
.....welcome, ThisCaliberLove, good post, and even if you have 2500 watts-continuous assigned to drive a 50 watt speaker, it doesn't mean you have to fry the voice-coil, does it?....what you have suggested to yourself here, looks VERY good....Klipsch and Bose have been going after "presence" for a long time....Bose is geared toward profit though, with sound quality/imaging second, with only an acceptable "presence", as their banner-and-shield....Klipsch is more geared to sound quality, transparency, and fullness, to accompany their "presence", and does well with the masses also....the main difference to me is, the Klipsch lines are geared toward the more discerning listeners seeking entry-level and actually, a bit up the scale with Klipsch....quite a bit, imo.....

.....edit....ok, let's hear it now about ears bleeding with listening to Klipsch reference....were you somewhere around 120 spl's?......

Last edited:
mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....guys, the most impressive systems to be had, impress you at moderate levels, immho....I would try intense tweaking at moderate levels, and see what you get....keeping it clean, now....easy on the low end tone controls, trust the sub....and, I believe any tone controls on the main's, effect the sub signal accordingly, not sure of this, but I suggest around flat for the main's if you have a sub that is now boomy.....

.....you lucky dogs, I'm off work on an 8 day medical....pass the mustard-hotdogs with chili and tons of "ONIONS"....after you eat about four with heavy onions, just get up close and talk to her, and you'll melt that wife into submission, haha.......

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Surround speakers

Not sure what the cost difference is, but you might consider buying the RS-35 surround speakers for use as the surround channels. A lot of people like the bipole/dipole type speakers for HT.

Since you are in college and probably have a small appartment, you might consider sticking with a 5.1 bookshef system for a while. When you have a house or larger room for HT you can upgrade to 7.1 and floorstanders.

Also keep in mind that it is not necessary to match the sub with the rest of the speakers.

T

thiscaliberlove

Audiophyte
jcPanny said:
Not sure what the cost difference is, but you might consider buying the RS-35 surround speakers for use as the surround channels. A lot of people like the bipole/dipole type speakers for HT.

Since you are in college and probably have a small appartment, you might consider sticking with a 5.1 bookshef system for a while. When you have a house or larger room for HT you can upgrade to 7.1 and floorstanders.

Also keep in mind that it is not necessary to match the sub with the rest of the speakers.
yes, I have considered using the rs-35's and keeping the bookshelves up front, but it seems that bi/dipole speakers as surrounds gets mixed reviews. some like it, and others dont. That is good advice on the "keep it small because of the apartment", but I have an uncontrollable obsession with "bigger is better".

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Bigger . . .

In general, bigger is louder and lower. However, Klipsch makes very efficient speakers so bookshelfs will probably be plenty loud in a small room to bother all of the neighbors.

Try it for yourself on your 2-channel setup. Assuming you have adequate amplifier power, crank up the volume to your bookshelf speakers. If they can reach uncomfortably loud level without sounding distorded, then they will do fine until you move into a bigger appartment or house.

Make the sub your next purchase to cover the low end that is lacking from the bookshelf speakers.

If you know a local dealer, you might be able to demo the klipsch surround speakers and see how you like them.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
More music or movies?

If more movies then small is fine. Get a second set of the same bookshelf speakers and later on you could get the smaller set for the rears if you like. (you'll be setting the speakers to small in the setup anyway for movies.)

If more music or you are very serious about music go with floorstanders (set to large) up front for full/fuller range 2 channel listening. Then a second set of your bookshelfs for the rears for 7 channel music listening.
:)D party mode:D )

That being said, on a tight budget get the second set of bookshelves first. You could be very happy with them and 5.1 sound. If money isn't a big deal go big.:cool:

Just remember, we don't know your room size / what kind of music you like / how loud you like it / bass-a-holic or not...check out this site and others, go listen to 5.1 then 7.1 with music and movies you know well. Ask more questions. Then you will know what you should do more then us.

Have fun and let us know what you end up with!!!
SBF1

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis