A

albee414

Audiophyte
Hello Everyone,

I am new to home theater...i am interested in putting together a small but nice home theater for myself...i did some searching around and i was very impressed with the Panasonic TH42PWD7UY for a tv...it got the best ratings...

Now the question i have is i want to put it on a wall that 49inchs wide...should i get the optional speakers?..is a home theater good for tv watching all the time?...

for speakers i was thinking of the bose 3-2-1 because i dont have alot of room and its only two speakers...

Thanks
Al

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Bose

albee414 said:
for speakers i was thinking of the bose 3-2-1 because i dont have alot of room and its only two speakers...
Most folks here will tell you not to go with BOSE....you can get better stuff for 1/2 or even less. Just FYI

Karp

Karp

Audioholic
What is your price range for speakers and how small do they have to be? The Bose 123 does not give you true surround sound and has terrible bass. If you want something compact, try HSU Research's Ventriloquist . Paired with the STF-1, you would get much better sound for less money. If you wanted to go with slightly larger speakers there are many more options available from reputable speaker manufacturers.

Karp

Karp

Audioholic
Forgot to mention that you will need to pair it up with a receiver of course. I would go with a Yamaha or Onkyo to get the best bang for the buck in in the 300 - 400 dollar range.

Many of the people here use there home theater to watch "regular" TV.

A

albee414

Audiophyte
Karp,

thank you...i will look into the speakers...and receiver...

well the reason i cant have alot of speakers is because i have no way of running the wires behind the couch without having them exposed...so if i could i would rather have 2-3 speakers and a sub that sit along side the tv..

i wasnt sure about the optional speakers but i feel better now that you told me alot of people do it...

Thanks again,
Al

bsjohnso

Audiophyte
Bose - Technology over decent sound reproduction

I agree with Karp on two fronts. Onkyo and Yamaha are both good receivers, check with Denon as well --> good natural sound reproduction. Bose are known for shooting technology over natural sound reproduction. However, if space and wires are issues, you could do a lot worse than Bose. Cheers.

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
First of all, my experience has been that TV speakers are generally of inferior quality.

The Bose 3-2-1 system is a three speaker system for around $1300 that attempts to recreate the sound of a 5.1 system. The most recent Consumer Reports mag indicated that it performed poorly.

It sounds to me like the real problem is the wires to the back speakers. Consumer Reports suggests that if the wires are the problem, the (it pains me to suggest a HTIB) Samsung HT-DB390 for about $500 has wireless rear speakers. But for $1300 you have a lot of options. I'd look into a couple of bookshelf speakers paired with a small sub. Looking briefly at the specs on the display, it would be a shame skimp on the speakers.

M

Mr. Music

Enthusiast
albee414 said:
Karp,

thank you...i will look into the speakers...and receiver...

well the reason i cant have alot of speakers is because i have no way of running the wires behind the couch without having them exposed...so if i could i would rather have 2-3 speakers and a sub that sit along side the tv..

i wasnt sure about the optional speakers but i feel better now that you told me alot of people do it...

Thanks again,
Al
If you don't want to see speaker cables you could use the so-called "flat cables" and cover them with any wall paper or whatever you like.

M

MrSmith

Audiophyte
Two Speaker Set up.. with sub

I'm looking for a good 2 speaker set up for my dorm room. Think along the lines of using the Onkyo TX-SR502 as my reciever. I'd go to a circuit city to look at speakers, but unfortuantely i'm on Guam for the Air Force. Looking not to spend more then 500-600 bucks for teh whole system... and would a sub be neccesary. and anyone know some place that has good deals that would ship to a APO AP address?

P.S and also , i would post as a new topic but i can't check my mail at work cuz its web based and i can use my work one for that kind of email, so i can't activate my account to post new topics...

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
More on the TV speakers

As more and more broadcasts come out in HD with surround sound, I think you'll be wanting to use your HT system to watch and listen to just everyday TV, not just your DVD's.

I'm personally looking forward to the day when we can buy a TV that is nothing more than a very large computer monitor. No speakers, no tuner, no anything. All the sound and video processing would be done in the HT system. Then we wouldn't be paying all the money it takes to design the less-than-effective TV stuff, and all the additional money it takes to squish that stuff down and make it fit.

Somebody out there please sell us a tube with a case and a few video imputs. Save yourselves (and us) a ton of R&D money. Imagine your product at 2/3 the cost of the competition merely because you take advantage of stuff the customer already has !! The formula seems to work very well for the projector folks.. they make a killing. :eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis