Newbie who needs a receiver

R

Rossww

Audioholic Intern
Long time lurker..first time poster. I'm need some unbiased help and you guys seem to be the experts. I'm renovating a house and will have all of the walls open and I'm going to wire the entire house for sound. I'm setting up a home theater and plan on putting a plasma with a kisk @ss sorround system.

My question is..If you guys could bulid your "dream" system with a $7,500 budget (not seperates), what would you choose? My buddy said Marantx 8500, Radius 45 or 90 speakers (only restriction is my wife wants small speakers) and Plasma (to be discussed on seperate forum). I'd love to hear what you would choose..thanks in advance.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Your budget is 7500. First thing I would do is go to high end Audio/Video stores and listen, look, and learn. spend a lot of time researching and ask a lot of questions. Find out what features you want and others you could do without. A few questions, does that include the plasma? how many rooms? do you want a dedicated home theater room? In the Home theater room would you consider getting a projector? Do you want to focus more on Home theater or on music?

If your looking to wire the whole house for music, look at a system like this. Maybe not This one (I have not read any reviews on this) but this is an example of what is out there.

http://www.sonos.com/us/landing/all_lp1.htm?ovmkt=J8NG88H93Q11CMMBIAD5V9LV9C

Ive been putting together a system like this for my brother. I just got him the TV's, One Samsung 56" DLP (for regular tv watching), and a pioneer 42" plasma (for the bedroom). He is waiting to pull the trigger on audio to see the new models being released. He wants to run the whole house through his PC as a media center. New models coming out make it easier to do this(they are out there now but a little pricey). When he gets the audio he plans on getting a projector for a dedicated Home Theater room. One thing Ive found is there is SO much stuff out there...you will get a TON of suggestions. Just remember...at that price range you will be happy with whatever you decide.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Few questions...

Is this room going to be dedicated for theater? How big is it? Vaulted ceilings?

How small is "small"? Are there other considerations on color, decor, etc?

Have you considered a projector and wall-mounted screen?

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
The Marantz 8500 is a great receiver, I'd short list it for a demo for sure. One that I really think you should keep an eye on is the Yamaha 4600 that is either just out or about to be released. That is one impressive looking beast with every possible up to date feature. I'm assuming that the $7500 includes the Plasma so I'm trying to keep receivers to about $1500 or less. You should also consider the Harman 7300 from the Harman Kardon ebay store. They go for about $900 but include a full warranty seeing as they are being sold direct from the manufacturer. I'm also going to include NAD into the mix. I've heard Nad with MA gear before and was utterly blown away.

I really like Monitor Audio, and as far as very small speakers go the Radius 90's can sound pretty good. If you can talk the wife into something a little bigger but still in the bookshelf range then Monitor audio is clearing out the Silver S line to make way for the RS line so you could get some great deals there. If you've got to keep it small then Paradigm has the cinema series PSB has the Intro and the Alpha series.

As for subs I'm going to tow the line and suggest HSU & SVS as budget companies. A nice HSU VTF-3 MKII will set you back well under a grand and will rock your socks off. That's right, rock, not knock.

J

jonsd

Enthusiast
5.1 home theater receiver

I am in the process of upgrading my entertainment center. I purchased a 61" Samsung DLP, Speaker Craft cieling speakers, Speaker Craft dual 8" center channel, 12" subwoofer. What I am looking for is a great sounding 5.1 receiver that wont break the bank. It should also have a/b speakers so I have outside sound. I would also like it to have all the latest and greatest hookups as I want to run the tv, pc, cd, dvd, tivo and just about anything else you can think of to it. Any suggestions?

Next I would also like to get an idea of speaker placement.

Thanks for your help.

jonsd

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, it's not nice to hijack a thread. Start a new thread and I'll answer your post.

J

jonsd

Enthusiast
thanks

I started a new thread. Sorry, but I can use some assistance from the pro's.

R

Rossww

Audioholic Intern
jaxvon said:
Few questions...

Is this room going to be dedicated for theater? How big is it? Vaulted ceilings?

How small is "small"? Are there other considerations on color, decor, etc?

Have you considered a projector and wall-mounted screen?
Thanks for the responses. The main room is kind of big (not sure of the size) with valuted celilings. It's going to be a family room, but the focus is the the TV. And yes, the $7,500 includes Plasma. Thanks again

R

Rossww

Audioholic Intern
Takeereasy said:
The Marantz 8500 is a great receiver, I'd short list it for a demo for sure. One that I really think you should keep an eye on is the Yamaha 4600 that is either just out or about to be released. That is one impressive looking beast with every possible up to date feature. I'm assuming that the $7500 includes the Plasma so I'm trying to keep receivers to about $1500 or less. You should also consider the Harman 7300 from the Harman Kardon ebay store. They go for about $900 but include a full warranty seeing as they are being sold direct from the manufacturer. I'm also going to include NAD into the mix. I've heard Nad with MA gear before and was utterly blown away.

I really like Monitor Audio, and as far as very small speakers go the Radius 90's can sound pretty good. If you can talk the wife into something a little bigger but still in the bookshelf range then Monitor audio is clearing out the Silver S line to make way for the RS line so you could get some great deals there. If you've got to keep it small then Paradigm has the cinema series PSB has the Intro and the Alpha series.

As for subs I'm going to tow the line and suggest HSU & SVS as budget companies. A nice HSU VTF-3 MKII will set you back well under a grand and will rock your socks off. That's right, rock, not knock.

Thanks..but when you say Subs..you mean Sub Woofer? What is "HSU & SVS"? Thanks again

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
they are both sub woofer companies, and both hugely popular on the internet because of their reputations of having awesome quality and customer service, as well as the best bang for your buck.

i think id get a HK 7300 from ebay for around 900-1000, and an svs pb12 isd, or isd/v" for around 650-750. Then monitor audio silver s series for another couple grand, but those arent very small..

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
www.hsuresearch.com
www.svsubwoofers.com

They are two of the most popular, best "bang for the buck" subwoofers on the forum. Very popular if your budget is $400-$1000 and want huge bass.

Can we narrow down the budget just a bit? Do you have anything that we can reuse? IE. Speaker wire, dvd player, rca or component cables...

What is your budget for a plasma? That will greatly reduce your budget for a high end HT setup. $3500? You should figure $100 for an HDMI cable and make sure the receiver has HDMI hookups. That will narrow your search on receivers. The Yamaha 4600 may be perfect. The Marantz SR8500 lists the HDMI in/out as DVI, which is different (video only). The specs are in favor of the Yamaha, as it's a tad more powerful and weighs almost 40lbs as opposed to the 33lb Marantz. Yamaha's are known for their excellent HT reproduction. Marantz may have the upper hand in detailed audio reproduction. Opinions will differ.
http://us.marantz.com/shop/_templates/Proddetail.asp?model=25&cat=15
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV4600_specs.htm

Do you have room for a 6.1 or 7.1 speaker system?
Miller and Kreisel offer some of the best THX approved surround systems (bookshelf size), but are pricey. Take a look at the website.

First thing is to let us know what the budget is for the audio equipment you need. We can suggest some manufacturers so you can start the demo process.
www.mksound.com/Kseries1.php

R

Rossww

Audioholic Intern
Thanks a lot..you're a huge help

Buckeyefan 1 said:
www.hsuresearch.com
www.svsubwoofers.com

They are two of the most popular, best "bang for the buck" subwoofers on the forum. Very popular if your budget is $400-$1000 and want huge bass.

Can we narrow down the budget just a bit? Do you have anything that we can reuse? IE. Speaker wire, dvd player, rca or component cables...

What is your budget for a plasma? That will greatly reduce your budget for a high end HT setup. $3500? You should figure $100 for an HDMI cable and make sure the receiver has HDMI hookups. That will narrow your search on receivers. The Yamaha 4600 may be perfect. The Marantz SR8500 lists the HDMI in/out as DVI, which is different (video only). The specs are in favor of the Yamaha, as it's a tad more powerful and weighs almost 40lbs as opposed to the 33lb Marantz. Yamaha's are known for their excellent HT reproduction. Marantz may have the upper hand in detailed audio reproduction. Opinions will differ.
http://us.marantz.com/shop/_templates/Proddetail.asp?model=25&cat=15
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV4600_specs.htm

Do you have room for a 6.1 or 7.1 speaker system?
Miller and Kreisel offer some of the best THX approved surround systems (bookshelf size), but are pricey. Take a look at the website.

First thing is to let us know what the budget is for the audio equipment you need. We can suggest some manufacturers so you can start the demo process.
www.mksound.com/Kseries1.php

I was looking at a Panasonic 50 Plasma (around $3,000). I'm starting from scratch as far as the extras..but I have room to go over price wise if I need to. Also, I have room for 7 speakers..but the wife might squash that (damn her) Thanks again..this is very helpful.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Rossww said:
Long time lurker..first time poster. I'm need some unbiased help and you guys seem to be the experts. I'm renovating a house and will have all of the walls open and I'm going to wire the entire house for sound. I'm setting up a home theater and plan on putting a plasma with a kisk @ss sorround system.

My question is..If you guys could bulid your "dream" system with a $7,500 budget (not seperates), what would you choose? My buddy said Marantx 8500, Radius 45 or 90 speakers (only restriction is my wife wants small speakers) and Plasma (to be discussed on seperate forum). I'd love to hear what you would choose..thanks in advance.

First off $7500 isn't that much of a budget when you get down to it. Plasmas are nice but expensive, you could save yourself some $$$ by going with a projector. You say the room is big but you dont know the exact size, this is very important.

The reality, with a little work you can build a really nice system with your budget.

The speakers are without a doubt the most important part of your setup. You need to structure your budget for this. 3.5 k for a plasma and you have 4k left. so thats for speakers, DVD, receiver and cables. Figure 500 in interconnects and cable off the top, you can get a good receiver for 7-800 Like the marantz SR8400 or Denon 3805. you can get a good DVD player for $200. That leaves you 1500 for a set of speakers. Not great units but you can get something pretty good.

4 BIC DV84's for front and rear
1 BIC DV 62clr for your center
2 BIC DV62 si's for the rear surrounds
2 BIC V1220 subs

This comes in just under 1300

This is what I would do.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I think it would be wise to go for a projector. For around $1000 you can get an Infocus 4805 DLP projector that has good resolution and picture. A 126" Carada Criterion Fixed screen in Brilliant White is $1051.08 shipped. You might not need something that big, so the cost may be lower there. This is still about $1500 less than a plasma and gives you a HUGE screen along with a major-league WOW factor for guests. That $1500 saved can then be invested in your speakers, allowing you to step into a higher league with a $3000 budget.

At this price point, you can get an Epic 80 system from Axiom Audio, minus the subwoofer for $2,493.75 shipped. This would include 2 M80Ti mains, 1 VP150 center, and 4 QS8 surrounds. This leaves you with a budget of about $500 for a subwoofer. If you decide to step down to the QS4 surrounds, then you can extend your budget by $200 on the subwoofer. You can save even more by opting for bookshelf surrounds.

Around $700, the Hsu VTF-3MKII is available, as is the SVS PB-12ISD. For a little more, you can get the PB-12 ISD/V.

R

Rossww

Audioholic Intern
You guys are great

jaxvon said:
I think it would be wise to go for a projector. For around $1000 you can get an Infocus 4805 DLP projector that has good resolution and picture. A 126" Carada Criterion Fixed screen in Brilliant White is $1051.08 shipped. You might not need something that big, so the cost may be lower there. This is still about $1500 less than a plasma and gives you a HUGE screen along with a major-league WOW factor for guests. That $1500 saved can then be invested in your speakers, allowing you to step into a higher league with a $3000 budget.

At this price point, you can get an Epic 80 system from Axiom Audio, minus the subwoofer for $2,493.75 shipped. This would include 2 M80Ti mains, 1 VP150 center, and 4 QS8 surrounds. This leaves you with a budget of about $500 for a subwoofer. If you decide to step down to the QS4 surrounds, then you can extend your budget by $200 on the subwoofer. You can save even more by opting for bookshelf surrounds.

Around $700, the Hsu VTF-3MKII is available, as is the SVS PB-12ISD. For a little more, you can get the PB-12 ISD/V.
I never considered a projector. I'm going to have to look into it. Can someone tell me the pros and Cons (or should I ask that on another forum)?

I thought my budget was close to: $3,000 TV, $1,500 Receiver, $2,000 Speakers, $300 DVD player and $700 for Misc. I can add to it if I need to.
I can spemd more to get a better system..I'd rather not sacrifice if the projector is not as good as a Plasma or DLP. Thanks again

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Projectors are unbeatable in dark (HT dedicated) rooms, but don't work well in those 2 story floor to ceiling "wall of windows" great rooms. At night, they're fine, but during Sunday afternoon football, you may be disappointed. It also depends on where your audience will be seated. A lot of rear projection units lose clarity if you are out of the "angled" viewing area. Plasma's look great from all angles, and are very bright, but many still suffer from screen burn in, which means no video games or CNN with the ticker tape running along the bottom. You also have to be careful of the bars if you don't enjoy a stretched picture. LCD flat panel screens are fine, but are extremely expensive over 37", and lack the contrast of better plasmas. DLP has a lot of popularity now because they can be used in bright rooms, don't have the off axis issues rear projection lcd's have, can be reasonalby priced in the largest units, but still have the expensive bulb replacement issue.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
The projector I mentioned is a budget projector. A step up on the InFocus line is the 5000, which retails for $1800. This offers higher resolution and a longer throw distance (if you need it). I seriously doubt that you'll need a 126" screen, so that should fall well below $1000. The only thing to think about with a projector is lighting control. Unlike a TV that is okay with ambient light, a projector needs a very dark room to be effective. If this is a living room system with windows, then a projector isn't the right choice. However, if this is going to be in a dedicated room where you can control the light, then I think a projector with a fixed screen is the best bet. Even a small projector screen is HUGE compared to a big screen TV.

Edit: You beat me to it Buckeye...:D

R

Rossww

Audioholic Intern
jaxvon said:
The projector I mentioned is a budget projector. A step up on the InFocus line is the 5000, which retails for $1800. This offers higher resolution and a longer throw distance (if you need it). I seriously doubt that you'll need a 126" screen, so that should fall well below $1000. The only thing to think about with a projector is lighting control. Unlike a TV that is okay with ambient light, a projector needs a very dark room to be effective. If this is a living room system with windows, then a projector isn't the right choice. However, if this is going to be in a dedicated room where you can control the light, then I think a projector with a fixed screen is the best bet. Even a small projector screen is HUGE compared to a big screen TV.

Edit: You beat me to it Buckeye...:D
Lots of windows in the room..so the projector is out. Does anyone know when the Yamaha RX-V4600 comes out? I like what I've read and heard.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Someone on the board already has it, he started a thread here. I'd post some questions for him. I don't know of any authorized dealers selling it online though.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry about my earlier recc. on the M80s, I forgot you could only go for small speakers. In that case, M&K is a very good option, perhaps something like the B-1500 or B-1600, which run about $800 and $1000/pair, respectively. They are expensive, but they are accurate, musical, and well-made. Bookshelves from Axiom are another option as well. Something like the M3Ti or M22Ti might also work.

The Radius speakers are really small, and if you had to choose between the 45 and 90, I'd say 90. The cute little cube just can't be that good, and its limited bass response doesn't help it.

Have you considered wall-mounted speakers? There are a lot of companies that make speakers specifically designed to compliment plasmas. There's a thread with recommendations here. The company I recommended, Leon]/url], does custom finishing to precisely match the color of your plasma TV, so they look like they were made to be there, not an afterthought.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis