Newbie-What sub to pair with...

K

Kelby Waltman

Audiophyte
ok pretty new to this so please bear with me...I recently purchased 4 infinity primus p363 speakers for my fronts and surrounds in a 5.1 system. I'm thinking I want to get a rhythmic lv12r for my sub. I currently have an old jbl 12" sub. Am I on the right track? I've also looked at the hsu and svs p1000 subs.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
ok pretty new to this so please bear with me...I recently purchased 4 infinity primus p363 speakers for my fronts and surrounds in a 5.1 system. I'm thinking I want to get a rhythmic lv12r for my sub. I currently have an old jbl 12" sub. Am I on the right track? I've also looked at the hsu and svs p1000 subs.
How big is your room? Is it closed in or open to other rooms? What is your budget? Use it for movies or music? Are you a gamer? I think that you are on the right track, but we need a bit more info in order to help you.

Cheers,

Phil

K

Kelby Waltman

Audiophyte
19x17 with ceiling height of 7.5 to 9 feet (return vent to furnace). One side there is a half wall that opens to workout area (laminate flooring). Other side opens to poker area and bar (tile floors). Probably 60-40% movies/tv-music. Budget is being pushed by the rythmik but may be able to go a little higher (depends on whether I'm persuasive with the Mrs.).

Hopefully this helps. Thanks in advance for any input.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
19x17 with ceiling height of 7.5 to 9 feet (return vent to furnace). One side there is a half wall that opens to workout area (laminate flooring). Other side opens to poker area and bar (tile floors). Probably 60-40% movies/tv-music. Budget is being pushed by the rythmik but may be able to go a little higher (depends on whether I'm persuasive with the Mrs.).

Hopefully this helps. Thanks in advance for any input.
Sounds like you have a a rather large place to pressurize. If it were me, I would be looking more at something like this:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html

Perhaps get two as your budget allows. Have owned the Primus speakers so you have made a good choice there. Do you have the matching Primus center?

Cheers,

Phil

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I do have a matching primus center.
Looks like you've got the makings of a good set up!

I would buy one very decent subwoofer, like, towards the top of your budget for now. And as money allows, plan to buy a second in the future as all listening locations will benefit more from even distribution.

K

Kelby Waltman

Audiophyte
So, to get more bass for my buck, I should probably go either rhythmik lv12r or HSU vtf-smk4 because they are 12 inch vs the svs p1000 which his 10 inch? Accurate? Then look at add a matching sub later as my budget (wife) allows?

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
So, to get more bass for my buck, I should probably go either rhythmik lv12r or HSU vtf-smk4 because they are 12 inch vs the svs p1000 which his 10 inch? Accurate? Then look at add a matching sub later as my budget (wife) allows?
Yes, you are correct.

Cosmic Char

Cosmic Char

Audioholic
Sounds like you have a a rather large place to pressurize. If it were me, I would be looking more at something like this:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html

Perhaps get two as your budget allows. Have owned the Primus speakers so you have made a good choice there. Do you have the matching Primus center?

Cheers,

Phil
I have a room that is as big or bigger than the one you have with cased openings to the kitchen, dining room, and a hallway with a mixture of hardwood and slate flooring. I purchased the aforementioned amp, and I am very pleased with the response of the base. I will probably purchase another one in the near to distant future to even out the base, but that 15 inch subwoofer packs an enormous punch delivered for less than $1000!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I do have a matching primus center.
Kelby, do you have the BIG one? I think it is PC351 or something like that? I had one and man did it ever pack a punch. As mentioned, I would opt for a 15" vented sub. Especially, since you are really into HT/TV viewing. When the time and budget is right, then order a second 15" vented sub. Best wishes on your choice.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
K

Kelby Waltman

Audiophyte
my center is a pc251 I think. So the vtf-3 mk5 sounds like the preferred choice? Do you think the smaller subs would not be effective if I started with one of those and then added a second as budget allowed?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
my center is a pc251 I think. So the vtf-3 mk5 sounds like the preferred choice? Do you think the smaller subs would not be effective if I started with one of those and then added a second as budget allowed?
The PC251 is the smaller center. When you can I would opt for the PC351. It will sound better since you are using the 363's. As far as subs go, I would think the VTF3 MK5 would be a viable option in your size room. However, duals would be splendid. YOUR center will work, but the PC351 will add a noticeable difference imho. It sure did for me in my room. I do think you are on the right track. Keep it up and YOU will get there.

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis