newbie: subwoofer question

L

LT4play

Enthusiast
I am a newbie, who just got my first subwoofer.. It is a older Boston Acoustics Sub, and the input on the sub has a left & right. My receiver, a Denon AVR-2105, has only one output, a pre-amp out for a subwoofer.

Do I:
(a.) connect just one line to the sub (either left or right).
(b.) go down to my local radio shack and by a "Y" to convert my 1-output receiver to a two-input sub?

Thanks from the newbie.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Option b will allow the subwoofer to play louder without turning the gain up as much by doubling the input voltage....I think.

Either way it will work.

SheepStar

L

LT4play

Enthusiast
Thanks for the quick replies.. Too Radio Shack I go in the morning..

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Sheep said:
Option b will allow the subwoofer to play louder without turning the gain up as much by doubling the input voltage....I think.

Either way it will work.

SheepStar
on paper, we have always been told that the sub only has so many watts of output available to it, so, on paper, a doubled signal shouldn't make any difference.

in the real world, it is a major improvement. not night and day, but definitely worth the six bucks the splitter will cost you.:)

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
I would try 60 first and see how you like the sound. 80 is the generic recommendation by THX.

you might use the cheap-o THX sound and video optimizer found on DVD's like Star Wars trilogy or King Arthur. One of the tests runs a downward frequency sweep so you can see how you like the transition from the center to the sub. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis