Newbie seeking help

N

nadroj

Enthusiast
I have been reading the forums for a while now and decided that I would definitely like to upgrade my audio system. I currently have a Pioneer HTS-GS1 HTIB that I bought a few years ago for ~$100, however I have just been using the speakers that are built into my TV for the last few months. I live in a small town in Georgia so I cannot really go to a store and listen to any setups to see what sounds best to me (We do not even have a best buy here). I will be making all of my purchases online.

Budget: $700 - This needs to at least buy a receiver and speakers.
Room size: Approximately 10x14x8 - I will be moving in a few months so this will likely change in the near future.
Usage: 30% movies / 30% TV / 35% games / 5% music

I do not mind waiting for sales in order to get better prices on the gear and I may even wait until after I move until I make my final decision. I would like to get some feedback so that I can start shopping around and find a good deal. Based on reviews and recommendations that I have gathered on this site and others like it I have came up with a few packages that I am already looking at within my budget.

1) Infinity primus P362 (fronts), receiver ($200), and a dayton sub-120 ($170). If I went with this option I would have to wait until the P362s are on sale at frys for ~$150 or buy refurbished ones off of ebay.

2) 3 Behringer B2030P ($206), Dayton sub-120 ($170), and a receiver ($200ish). Are these speakers good for movies and gaming? I have seen them recommended several times but usually to people who listen to significantly more music than I do. If I chose this option I would have to find a way to make inexpensive grill covers for the speakers.

3) Polk monitor 70s ($150ea), Polk CS2 ($100), dayton sub-120 ($170), and a receiver. I do not see these recommended as much on this site but the recent newegg deals seem pretty good so I figured I would throw it in.

The prices I listed are what I have seen these parts go for on recent sales (including shipping and taxes). I would like some feedback on these choices or any other recommendations that you may think are superior to the ones I have listed.

Thanks for your help.

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
In your position I would go with the Infinity Primus. I just upgraded my HT a while back and I had all Infinity Primus speakers. They are a very good value for the money. Pick an AVR that has the features you want. If you aren't concerned with the newest codecs, you can probably find something reasonable on the used market. I don't have any experience with the Dayton sub, but I know a number of people recommend it as a good value for the price.

In general, if speakers are good for music, they should be more than acceptable for movies and gaming. The reverse in not always true. Nothing wrong with your other two options. I don't have any experience with Behringer speakers and Polk speakers have never really been my thing. Have you listened to any of your choices? If not, I'd really try to audition them to see if you would be happy. No matter which speakers you pick, it should definately be an upgrade compared to what you currently have.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
The Behringer B2030P speakers are flat out, the best made and performing speakers anywhere near their price range. They beat the Primus also; the B2030P has an even off axis response that even at 15kHz, the response is near identical at even 60 degrees off axis. Ideally, you should use twin subs for max. music sound quality since you need to crossover the B2030P at about 80-85Hz. A pair of Dayton Sub-120 (with a cheap Wal-Mart pillow or two added in each one to achieve a better bass curve response that sounds 'tighter') will go very well with this setup.

-Chris

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The Behringer B2030P speakers are flat out, the best made and performing speakers anywhere near their price range. They beat the Primus also ...
The Behringers don't go as low or play as loud. They also need stands ... $$$. I wonder if they would blend with a sub as well as the lower reaching Primuses. Having heard the 2030p's for extended periods I like my 360's better. My sister on the other hand thinks she likes her 2030p's better but she doesn't know if she's hearing better subs or a better room or better subs in a better room. My opinion counts more than hers.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the 2030p's a lot but not as much as the 360's. :)

Recently you said that you were bothered by the resonant cabinet of the 360 and I wonder how much time you have spent listening to the 2030p ... if any. I'm not trying to be smart but I remember that you said you had not listened to music on them in the past.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It's a hard choice. I've got the (modified) Behringers in my home-office and paired with a sub they sound pretty good. I've also heard the P362s and they sound pretty good. It's hard to say which sounds better because I haven't listened to the Infinities in a long time. I can't help with the polks.

N

nadroj

Enthusiast
Thanks a ton for everyone's help so far it definitely will make this process easier by having so many knowledgeable people who are willing to help.

Pick an AVR that has the features you want. If you aren't concerned with the newest codecs, you can probably find something reasonable on the used market.
I guess this is something I will have to do more research on because I am not even sure what the difference is between codecs. I have a PS3(Blu-ray and gaming) and XBOX 360 that I will be hooking up in addition to Dish Network.

Have you listened to any of your choices? If not, I'd really try to audition them to see if you would be happy. No matter which speakers you pick, it should definately be an upgrade compared to what you currently have.
I wish I could, however I live in a fairly rural area. Most people around here either have HTIB or just use the speakers on their TV so I cannot rely on friends. In addition to that, the closest Best Buy is nearly an hour away and I am not even sure they would have the speakers that I am interested in.

Ideally, you should use twin subs for max. music sound quality since you need to crossover the B2030P at about 80-85Hz. A pair of Dayton Sub-120 (with a cheap Wal-Mart pillow or two added in each one to achieve a better bass curve response that sounds 'tighter') will go very well with this setup.
I do not listen to music very often, would you say that dual subs are as important for gaming/movies or would I see more benefit from getting surround speakers over an additional sub?

I wonder how much time you have spent listening to the 2030p ... if any. I'm not trying to be smart but I remember that you said you had not listened to music on them in the past.
I would also be curious about this (not trying to question your expertise in any way just curious). I have seen you recommend these speakers before to people on low budgets but most people never bother to come back and say what they thought of the speakers.

You guys have all been really helpful and I have read tons of old posts from some of you (I think I have even seen pics of the inside of Wmax's house :))

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Don't forget to check for refurbished receivers. If you don't need 3D support Accessories For Less has the Onkyo TX-SR607 for $279 and the HT-RC160 for $259. They're in Florida so shipping shouldn't be too bad.

N

nadroj

Enthusiast
Don't forget to check for refurbished receivers. If you don't need 3D support Accessories For Less has the Onkyo TX-SR607 for $279 and the HT-RC160 for $259. They're in Florida so shipping shouldn't be too bad.
Shop Onkyo currently has a special for 20% off all refurbished units. The 607 is $253.20 shipped for me (20% + $10 off for being a new club onkyo member). I am hesitant to pull the trigger though because of all the posts I have seen where people complain that is overheats and died after only a year or two. I think I am going to wait for a really good price on a denon 1910 or something else to come along.

shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?productid=TX-SR607&modelid=47&group_id=1&detail=1&ext_war=1

Just thought I would mention it in case anyone else is looking at this model.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you were to go with the P362's, I would just skip the sub, and save that money for a decent sub. The Infinity's have not so bad extension on their own, and a little dayton 120 isn't going to be adding much. It might help just a little, but I would recommend you save your money for a subwoofer that will seriously add to such a setup. Save your money and look at the Hsu research, Outlaw Audio, Epik Subwoofers, and Rythmik Subwoofers. If you really want a good sound, look at room treatments as well, there are a lot of inexpensive things you can do to improve the acoustics of your room.

G

GordonW

Enthusiast
PM sent to the OP in the thread (nadroj)... maybe I can help (also in GA)...

N

nadroj

Enthusiast
How do the Emp Tek E5Ti compare to the Infinity P362? Anyone have experience with both speakers?

N

nadroj

Enthusiast
I could not find any comparisons between the E5ti and In finity P362's so I am about 90% sure I will be going with the P362's.

Now that I know which speakers I will purchase I need to find a capable receiver. I am going to go with the recommendation of buying a refurbished receiver and have narrowed my options to:

1)Denon AVR-791 - $274.99 + shipping (eCost)
2)Denon AVR-591 - $200.00 + shipping (eCost)

I do not care about HDMI 1.4 but for whatever reason these are cheaper than last years model. Is it worth the extra $75 to upgrade from the 591 for the speakers that I will be using?

The differences are:
- No Video Select Control on AVR-591 / I do not think I will use this but who knows.
- 90W vs 75W
- No analog to HDMI scaling on 591
- 5.1 vs 7.1 / No plans to go 7.1

Really the only that I would even care about is the power per channel and I am not sure how much that would affect me.

Thanks for any help.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis