Newbie requesting assistance with a Sony STR-DE597

S

steventice

Audiophyte
Greetings! I'm new to the whole home theater thing and have a few questions about my new Sony STR-DE597 receiver. The maze of an instruction manual has unfortunately failed me. I'd appreciate any assistance! I have three main questions:

1. How do I get the receiver to play television shows in surround sound? The promotional text makes it sound possible, but according to the instructions in the TV's manual, there has to be a "center out" connection on the receiver, and there doesn't appear to be one.

2. There are "sound fields" and the like that I am supposed to be able to access, but I cannot seem to do so. Is this because I have an optical connection? Do I have to switch back to a conventional audio cable connection in order to use those features?

3. Is it possible to play two-channel stereo through more speakers than just the front two? I'd been hoping the surround speakers would duplicate the signals from the front speakers so that, while I wouldn't have surround, I'd still have two-channel stereo sound coming from four speakers.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Steven Tice

annunaki

annunaki

1) You would run the audio from the outputs of the device you wish to hear into the receiver. If your television's source is the cable box, run the audio from the cable box to the receiver.

2)There should be a button for sound fields on the remote or receiver. Sony's are known for having a plethora of sound fields.

3)Yes, use five the five channel stereo mode for music if you wish to use all of the channels. Dolbly Pro-Logic II or IIx and DTS Neo 6 both have music modes for multichannel sound.

S

steventice

Audiophyte
Thanks!

Thanks for the information! Everything's working perfectly now. :)

SET

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis