Newbie Questions on Cables

JK Saabh

JK Saabh

Enthusiast
Hey folks,
I need to run two lengths of HDMI from my a/v receiver to my TV and ceiling projector, and I think I should need around 10 and 30ft of cable. What's the best way to determine the approximate length, other than running a rope and measuring it? Also, I was thinking of using a HDMI 2.0 CL2 rated cable. I was thinking of using HDMI cable from monoprice, but their cables are HDMI 1.4 compliant. What cable manufacturer would you recommend for a 2.0 cable?

For the HDMI cable, do you suggest connecting it directly to the TV from a hole in the dry-wall, or use a HDMI wall plate. Using a plate makes it look neat, but would mean joining two HDMI cables where I could make do with one. Also, that would mean I need to get a HDMI 2.0 wall plate which I haven't found yet. What are your thoughts?

I was thinking of using 14AWG CL2 Rated 4-Conductor Oxygen-Free Pure Bare Copper Speaker from monoprice. I will short the two leads I'm not using, but having wires going to each speaker means I have a backup. Also, this way if I upgrade my receiver I can bi-amp my towers. I was thinking of using monoprice banana plugs at the receiver end, and terminating the speaker cables at a monoprice wall plate. I will then use monoprice's 14AWG Oxygen-Free Pure Bare Copper Speaker Wire Cable (transparent) with banana plugs at each end to connect it to my speakers. Has anyone used monoprice's speaker cables? Also, should 14AWG be okay for my setup, or should I consider using 12AWG?

The other in-wall cable I'll be running is the coax for my subwoofer and for my verizon fios setup box. While I'm planning to get wireless transmitters for my Klipsch SW-112s, I'm adding the coax cable as a backup. I was thinking of using monoprice's Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable M/M RG6U 75ohm cable. Will this cable work for both my subs as well as my setup box?. I plan to have eight coax outlets for my two subs (so I can move them around), whats the best way to wire them? Should I have eight individual coax cables coming to the receiver, and then plugging in the two I plan on using? Or is there a more efficient way, maybe by using splitters? Also, can I buy a really long length of coax and cut them as needed, or buy one coax (with male connectors attached) per outlet.

I read severel posts where people wired cat6 cables. What is it used for?

Thanks so much for your help.

Last edited:
ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Noticed both threads but I will respond here.

I use a single HDMI cable, I figure less connections is better.
I would think that most hdmi plates would be compliant at all bit rates.
That 14awg speaker wire should work just fine. If you end up going crazy you can use two pair for each front for extra wattage :D (Bi-amping unlikely to be a noticeable benefit)
No fancy cabling for subs, find the two that work best and never touch it again.
cat6 cables can be used for most data applications if you need to, that is why it is installed, as a safety net

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
First, be aware that there is no such thing as an 'HDMI 2.0' cable. The HDMI org specifies standard speed and high speed. The version number indicates features that compliant equipment must implement and some features which are optional but may be implemented. You pick the version based on the features you need/want. As an example, if you need/want the audio return channel but your equipment is specified for an HDMI version lower than the version that introduced that feature then it will not support it even if you had a cable that said it is HDMI 2.0 compliant. Likewise, if your receiver does support a newer feature but your cable says it is rated for a lower version of HDMI, it will still work. All cables work for all versions of HDMI with the exception of Ethernet over HDMI because that requires an additional wire in the cable, but considering that there are exactly zero devices that do Ethernet over HDMI, it's a moot point.

Wall plates make installation neater and generally don't affect performance. The main issue with HDMI is length of the run. If the run is long, you need thicker (lower gauge) wire or an active cable such as Redmere (also available at Monoprice).

If you buy 14/4 speaker cables, do not short the unused wires. You can twist them together effectively giving you an 11 gauge cable. 14 gauge is more than acceptable for runs up to 100 feet or more. 12 gauge is overkill and unwieldy.

JK Saabh

JK Saabh

Enthusiast
First, be aware that there is no such thing as an 'HDMI 2.0' cable. The HDMI org specifies standard speed and high speed. The version number indicates features that compliant equipment must implement and some features which are optional but may be implemented. You pick the version based on the features you need/want. As an example, if you need/want the audio return channel but your equipment is specified for an HDMI version lower than the version that introduced that feature then it will not support it even if you had a cable that said it is HDMI 2.0 compliant. Likewise, if your receiver does support a newer feature but your cable says it is rated for a lower version of HDMI, it will still work. All cables work for all versions of HDMI with the exception of Ethernet over HDMI because that requires an additional wire in the cable, but considering that there are exactly zero devices that do Ethernet over HDMI, it's a moot point.

Wall plates make installation neater and generally don't affect performance. The main issue with HDMI is length of the run. If the run is long, you need thicker (lower gauge) wire or an active cable such as Redmere (also available at Monoprice).

If you buy 14/4 speaker cables, do not short the unused wires. You can twist them together effectively giving you an 11 gauge cable. 14 gauge is more than acceptable for runs up to 100 feet or more. 12 gauge is overkill and unwieldy.
Thanks so much, friend. I ended up buying two 30' Redmere cables from monoprice 30 - one from the receiver to the TV, and another to the projector. I wish I had ordered my speaker cable after reading your response, as I picked up 12-2 cables instead. I hope that wont be an issue. Picked up the wall plates as well. Ended up buying everything from monoprice.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I ran some 12-2 speaker wire for my subs. Not hard to work with at all. I would assume that 14-4 is more difficult and in my opinion useless for most HT's

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I ran some 12-2 speaker wire for my subs. Not hard to work with at all. I would assume that 14-4 is more difficult and in my opinion useless for most HT's
14/4 isn't too bad. The Canare Star Quad stock at BJC is actually more flexible and lays flatter than the Belden 12/2 IME. 14/4 may also start to see a rise in popularity with Atmos, as you have two 14AWG runs, one for a surround speaker plus another for an Atmos upfiring module.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks so much, friend. I ended up buying two 30' Redmere cables from monoprice 30 - one from the receiver to the TV, and another to the projector. I wish I had ordered my speaker cable after reading your response, as I picked up 12-2 cables instead. I hope that wont be an issue. Picked up the wall plates as well. Ended up buying everything from monoprice.
We were talking about some issues with redmere cables here some time ago, and I found one problem with those cables and should have posted it here but just forgot all about it. The cables are directional follow the arrows from signal to source, fine all is well but then I connected from signal to interior/input side of hdmi plate then from output onward to the source/flat panel and yep you guessed it , nothing , no picture no sound. This happened when keeping all direction/arrows going the correct way , I even swapped cables out , all redmere , and the same , nothing. I go direct skipping the plate (no extra connection) it works fine.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis