Newbie Needs 2.1 Sub Setup Advice!!!

W

woodbutcher68

Audiophyte
Hello, all. I’m very new to the area of your expertise. Not sure if this should be in the SUBWOOFER section or here (?)

Anyway, although I'm a lifelong guitar player and music enthusiast, somehow I have never had more than a “decent” quality boombox/component system. The most recent one died and I decided to do something a little better for myself. Emphasis on “little” – I live in an apartment and I’m trying to put my kid through college, so money is tight.

Apologies for the longish post, but I'm trying to anticipate your questions...

Here’s my projected 2.1 setup:

Philips CDR795 2-Disc CD Recorder (already had this…)
Harman Kardon HK-3390 receiver (just arrived, haven’t unpacked it)
Klipsch B-2 speakers (got these a week ago)
The Speaker Company ASW-8 sub (enroute to me)

I’m puzzled about setting up the sub. The HK receiver has two dedicated sub outs, and also info about
“trigger outputs” and “link switches”.

Related text from HK manual:

Subwoofer Outputs: If you have a powered subwoofer, connect these jacks to the line-level inputs on the subwoofer. The same fullrange signal is output through both jacks. Thus, you have the option of
connecting each jack to the line-level input on a separate subwoofer, or to use these full-range outputs to feed a remote room in a distributed audio application. If you have only one subwoofer with a single line-level input, connect it to the right Subwoofer Output on the HK 3390.

Subwoofer Trigger Outputs: Connect these outputs to a compatible trigger input on the subwoofer connected to the Subwoofer Output immediately to the right of the Trigger Output. Consult the owner’s manual for the subwoofer to set its trigger input correctly, and the subwoofer will automatically turn on or off when the HK 3390 is turned on or off. In addition, the Trigger Outputs are used with the Subwoofer Link Switches to conserve energy by powering off the subwoofer’s amplifier when it is not needed. The Subwoofer Trigger Outputs send a signal of 15 volts DC.

Subwoofer Link Switches: Each switch affects the subwoofer connected to the jack immediately to the left of the switch. To use the switch , first connect the corresponding Subwoofer Trigger Output to a compatible trigger input on the subwoofer, and make sure the subwoofer’s instructions are followed to activate its trigger input. When the Link Switch is on, the HK 3390 will remove the trigger signal whenever the corresponding pair of main speakers are not in use, thereby conserving energy that would otherwise be used to maintain the subwoofer’s amplifier in standby mode. This feature is activated any time no signal is present at the main speaker outputs, including when the Speaker 1/2 Switch turns off both speaker pairs, when the HK 3390’s output is muted, or when the headphones are plugged in. See Table A2 in the appendix for details.

The ASW-8 sub manual tells me this info about interfacing with the receiver:

Option #1
Connect the receiver’s Front LEFT and RIGHT channel preamp outputs to the LEFT and RIGHT “LINE IN” RCA jacks on the subwoofer’s amplifier panel.

Option #2
Connect the receiver’s SUB or “LFE” preamp output to the LEFT “LINE IN” RCA jack on the subwoofer’s amplifier panel. The inputs are summed together internally. Note: In this configuration, leave the crossover setting at the highest frequency.

Option #3
Connect the receiver’s Front LEFT and RIGHT speaker outputs to the LEFT and RIGHT “HI LEVEL IN” connectors on the subwoofer’s amplifier panel. Then, connect the front speakers as well, either to the subwoofer connector (as shown) or at the receiver. Note: Observe correct polarity, + to + and - to -.

Before you begin, ensure your subwoofer is hooked up properly and the controls are set at these initial settings.
• On/Auto/Standby: On or Auto • Phase: 0°
• Subwoofer Volume: 12 o’clock or slightly higher •Crossover Frequency: 160Hz (ASW-8)

Once you’ve found the subwoofer’s “sweet spot”, you can tweak performance even more!
• Switch the Phase control to the 180° position and listen. Does the bass sound more solid and substantial? If so, leave the phase control there. Or did bass lose impact and sound more “hollow” and “thin”? If so, switch the control back to its original position.
• Use the Subwoofer Volume control to reduce subwoofer volume if the whole bass spectrum sounds overpowering compared to the sound from the other speakers. Or turn it up a bit if those explosions or bass notes feel a bit anemic. • Experiment with the Crossover Frequency control to fine tune the upper bass response so you’re your subwoofer and your wide range
speakers are working optimally. Read the owner’s manual for those speakers for guidance on what setting will work best. Note - if you connected the sub using Option #2 (SUB or LFE channel output on a 5.1/7/1 receiver, leave the crossover in the highest setting.) What you will find that in going through the setup process is that all of these adjustments interact. In other words, changing the Phase setting may mean you’ll have to increase or reduce the Volume setting a bit, etc. Again, experimentation is the key. Perhaps one of you might be kind enough to clear this up for me? Not quite the “plug and play” I had hoped for.

These are the specs on the B2’s:
Specifications (b2)
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 62Hz - 23kHz +/-3dB
POWER HANDLING 75 w (300 w peak)
SENSITIVITY 92dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY 2300Hz
TWEETER 0.75” (1.9cm) aluminum dome tweeter
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN 4” (10.2cm) 90 x 60 Tractrix Horn
WOOFER 5.25” (13.3cm), magnetically shielded woofer
ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass reflex via rear-firing port
DIMENSIONS 12.5” (31.8cm) x 7” (17.8cm) x 8” (20.3cm)
MOUNTING None
WEIGHT 11lbs. (5kg)
BUILT FROM 2004

What should the sub’s crossover be set to?
What’s the optimal way to hook up this sub given it’s controls/inputs and those of the receiver? Just out the R output of the HK into the L input of the ASW-8 (?) Or, out both outputs of the receiver into both inputs on the sub?

What’s this "Trigger/Link" stuff? Does it apply to me?

Also, the sub is not shielded. How far do I need to keep it from my laptop?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tom

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Your best bet to hook them up the sub is to use a long RCA cable(nice and cheap from walmart) Take plug it into the subwoofer outputs on the HK receiver. Then plug it into the LR inputs on the sub.

Make sure you start with the sub in your favorite seating position. And play some very good bass heavy music.

Placement matters!

Do a crawl test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3oLLMgS-M
Crawl around the space where you can put the sub at. And listen for the best sound. The sub shouldn't be boomy or quiet, but clean and nice.

Put the sub at that spot.
Once you get the spot and hook up right I suggest playing around with you receiver settings and figuring out what stuff does.
:)

W

woodbutcher68

Audiophyte
Your best bet to hook them up the sub is to use a long RCA cable(nice and cheap from walmart) Take plug it into the subwoofer outputs on the HK receiver. Then plug it into the LR inputs on the sub.

Make sure you start with the sub in your favorite seating position. And play some very good bass heavy music.

Placement matters!

Do a crawl test.

Crawl around the space where you can put the sub at. And listen for the best sound. The sub shouldn't be boomy or quiet, but clean and nice.

Put the sub at that spot.
Once you get the spot and hook up right I suggest playing around with you receiver settings and figuring out what stuff does.
:)

Thanks for the quick response - wow!

Remaining questions, I guess:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the quick response - wow!

Remaining questions, I guess:

The trigger stuff is for 12volt triggers. Which some stuff uses. But it doesn't apply to you. You can put your sub on auto.

I wouldn't go setting your laptop on the sub, but you should be fine as long as you keep your distance. Worse thing that would happen is a messed up hard disk.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You seem to have two threads going. Please do not duplicate threads.

Here is my advice on your other thread.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis