Newbie looking to setup a first home theatre system

K

Kupes

Audiophyte
Please excuse my newbie question, I am looking to get some advice on setting up my first home theatre system.

Sound:
Yamaha 7.1 receiver
6 bose cube speakers
1 bose subwoofer
1 Klipsch R25C 400-Watt Centre Speaker

Projector:
Home Cinema 3600e Wireless 2D/3D Full HD 1080p 3LCD Projector

Screen:
TBD - looking for advice

Home Theatre Room:
Please see file attached

Based on my room configuration where should I hang (and how high to hang) my left & right surround and back left and right surround speakers.

I am also having some difficulty calculating what size screen I can fit based on my projector and the distance I want to hang it (ceiling mounted). Also what screen should I be looking to purchase?

Any advice would be MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!

Attachments

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If your not looking to do Atmos in the future, I would mount the front three speakers at roughly seated ear height. Somewhere around 40”. The sides, and rear surrounds should be around 5’-6’ high and aimed at the listening position(LP). From above it would look like this: see below, but disregard atmos speaker placement.

You did say “any advice”, so respectfully, I will add that your little Bose cubes and “subwoofer” will be under matched for a large screen. Basically they will struggle to present a sound experience that is equal to the screen size. Tonally they won’t match your center either and you will have issues with smooth panning across the front. Basically if you like how the klipsch sounds, I would recommend buying some more klipsch speakers(not sub) to finish off the system. I understand budget constraints as much as anyone, but I’m pretty sure it won’t be long until you outgrow the current equipment.

Sorry I can’t add anything for the projector or screen. Except maybe talk to the manufacturer about setup and placement.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
You may have already, but need to confirm that the particular Bose cubes being used can actually work with a receiver other than the Bose AVR - typically when the Bose 'sub' is involved, all speakers are routed through it, and a standard AVR will not be able to properly send that signal.

Consult your Epson owners manual for throw distances. Viewing distance vs screen size is recommended to be between 1.2-1.7

My viewing distance is 13 feet, and my screen is about 8 feet diagonally, 13/8 = 1.6
I do not like having to turn my head to watch a movie, so I chose a screen size based on the PJ's throw distance and keeping the image small enough to only require small eye movements to see everything. You may prefer a more 'immersive' viewing experience, which means a ratio closer to 1.2. Tape it off on the wall and see what works for you!

K

Kupes

Audiophyte
Thanks for your input......Because of budget constraints at the moment, I am hoping my BOSE speakers will be sufficient to start!

Based on my calculations on the Epson Projector Distance Calculator, the fact that I have 11' 8" from my wall to my bulkhead and the fact that I want to ceiling mount the projector, can I fit a 120" screen - are my calculations correct? Is throw distance calculated from where the projector is mounted or is it the distance from the lens of the projector to the screen (i.e. do I need to factor in that this projector has a depth of 12.6"?

I am considering purchasing an "Elite Screens Sable Frame B2 Projector Kit" - is this a good mid-range screen?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for your input......Because of budget constraints at the moment, I am hoping my BOSE speakers will be sufficient to start!

Based on my calculations on the Epson Projector Distance Calculator, the fact that I have 11' 8" from my wall to my bulkhead and the fact that I want to ceiling mount the projector, can I fit a 120" screen - are my calculations correct? Is throw distance calculated from where the projector is mounted or is it the distance from the lens of the projector to the screen (i.e. do I need to factor in that this projector has a depth of 12.6"?

I am considering purchasing an "Elite Screens Sable Frame B2 Projector Kit" - is this a good mid-range screen?
Bose engineering is based around research that claimed people 'prefer midrange sounds'. So the adage "no highs, no lows, must be Bose" came to be. (my second system was Bose 301/201, FYI) If you already own them, and can in fact connect whatever your particular model is to a 3rd party receiver, then just realize your Klipsch Center will sound NOTHING like the Bose and may bug you - fair warning!

For acoustics, sitting dead center of the room is not ideal. I assume by "bulk head" this is a wood/steel supporting beam? That shouldn't change much if you chose to sit further back.

At your current location, rounding up to 12 feet (which is probably where your head is, seated):
12 feet viewing / 10 feet diag screen = 1.2 - this is the max recommended, and may result in the need to move ones head to see the whole picture. Try using tape on the wall so you can visualize the screen size from your seat and decide if that is what you want.

Throw distance is lens to screen. The zoom feature should allow you to compensate as needed since you're not trying to throw beyond 20 feet, for example.

I have not used Elite screens myself, but its sold on Amazon so that provides you some basic security if you don't like it. @DigitalDawn is a forum member who sells Stewart and Screen Innovations. They will be higher cost options, but screen samples are available if you want to investigate!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis