newbie audio level/mode question

Thermos

Audiophyte
im currently setting up my 1st real home theatre. ive got a sony 5.1 recv, 2 pioneer floor standing speakers, an off brand center and rear speakers, and a magnavox sub (from a ht in a box system).

my main complaint w/ it so far is tv audio. my previous setup was a magnavox ht in a box system. when watching normal tv it faked/synthed (whatever its called) surround sound. and it sounded fairly nice. but on my sony recv. i have it setup on afd auto, and im guessing since its stereo in, it sets to use the 2 floor speakers and sub only. ive switched through the modes and set it where it uses all the speakers, but when i do everything is much quieter. you have to crank up the volume much higher than normal to hear the tv. what am i doing wrong, or am i doin anything wrong?

i need to get this straighted out cause my gf things the magnavox setup sounded better and i need to prove her wrong. :) i know this has the potential of sounding better, but currently its not.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
You may have a serious mismatch of gear. What model Sony is this? Is it one of their ES models? Or one for $199? If the Pioneers are a quality model,made for high amplification,the Sony may not drive them very well.Or even the center for that matter. Also,what kind of signal source do you have(SAT,Dig cable,analog cable)? If you previously had fake surround,true DD may take a bit getting used to. Also,a stereo-only signal will play louder if the receiver is set to "5 CH Stereo",not one of the movie modes. If you only have analog cable you won't get DD surround.In that case you should leave the receiver set to "5 CH Stereo". Since most TV programs,analog or digital,are only in stereo anyway this is the mode I watch TV in the most. But play around with it. You might find that you like it another way.

HTIB's are able to be effective because the speakers & receiver are matched.They can provide a decent sound with only 20-30 watts per channel because of that.

Thermos

Audiophyte
recv = sony strde595
pioneer floors = SH453FK (or close to that model)

the recv can push the pioneers fine. they sound great when i have it set as 2 channel stereo w/ sub. its when i have it on 5 channels its sounds quiet. (just for tv though. watching dvds they sound great) digital cable is what i have. i run rca out of the cable box to the recv. maybe i have it set on the wrong mode. maybe i had it on a movie mode. so you say the mode i SHOULD have it on is '5 Channel Stereo'? ill check it out when i get home.

thnx for the help. ill reply if i get it figured out or not.

Thermos

Audiophyte
well, i believe i had it set correctly. i looked in the manual. i have it set on dolby pl. comparing dolby pl (5.1) to 2 channel w/ sub, dobly is quieter and sounds worse. maybe the problem is i just need a good center channel. the one i have is a Technics. my friend gave it to me for free :p ive been wanting to get a polk center channel but havent had the cash.

could the not so great center channel be my problem? when set on dolby pl it barely seems to use my floor speakers at all. i know since its tv which means mainly dialogue and most dialogue i believe comes through the center, but...i dont know. currently its sounds much better leaving it on 2 channels, which isnt what i want.

ideas on fixing this?

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Yes.You need a digital output from the cbl box to your receiver.RCA's won't pass the digital signal,only analog.You may have to request another box from your cbl company.They usually have an optical(Toslink) connection for DD signal. And,yes,you are correct.When in DD all dialogue should come from the center ch.Some programs that are in stereo only will only come through the center even when in DD mode on the receiver.But like I said earlier,most regular TV shows are only in stereo. Many premium ch shows are in DD.

GL

U

Unregistered

A few things to consider:
1. On digital cable, not all channels are digital. You are only using analog cables so this doesnt really matter, but on my cable, the analog channels are much lower in amplitude than the digital channels.
2. Converting a two channel analog feed to 5.1 via Pro-Logic is a matrix operation; ie it derives the 5.1 channels from 2 (unless it is dolby encoded, in which case there is *some* info as to what sounds go to what channel). Not all material will sound good when converted by the Pro-Logic decoder, particularly shows with mostly dialogue like sitcoms and sports. Zipper's suggestion to use an all-channel stereo mode is a good one - or even use plain stereo for those channels.
3. Make sure you at least make a valiant attempt to calibrate all channels equally using an spl meter and a calibration disc, like AVIA or DVE. Tweak to taste from there; eg increase the center level to make voices more clear.
4. If you have the opportunity to get a cable box with digital out and your receiver has digital in, it is well worth it. Most channels on my digital cable that are actually digital :) broadcast in Dolby Digital 2.0. The DD 2.0 signal can be converted to 5.1, 6.1, etc by Pro-Logic II decoder.

Thermos

Audiophyte
just wanted to say thanks for everybodies help. ive come to the conclusion (through swapping spkrs and testing) that my current center spkr sux balls. its weak, trebly, and ugly. when i get the money im gonna get a new sub. ive listened to some older model polks and love them. cs400, cs400i, etc. in the mean time i think im gonna have to go w/ 2 channel stereo. 5.1 db pl doesnt cut it w/ what i have. and i cant find for the life of me a 5 channel stereo setting :(

and like mentioned in the previous reply a friend of mine has a spl meter and is coming over this weekend to help me calibrate.

so in the mean time...im off to save some money.
thnx again

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis