LineController

LineController

Junior Audioholic
So getting ready to assemble a HT and never thought about, I really don’t have a blue ray player other than a PS3. Is that sufficient? Been out of the physical media thing for a long time. Pretty much do all streaming. What os todays standard means to watch media? Is there such a thing as a 4K blue ray player? Thanks for any input. And recommendations

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My PS3 was my main bluray player for a long time, and wasn't much of a gamer except for a driving game I liked. After a while I put the ps3 into an older system and stepped up a bit (to an Oppo 203) for ability to play more types of discs (sacd particularly in my case, altho if your ps3 is old enuf it might be capable of that). Yes there have been 4k bluray players for quite a while now. The major players like Panasonic and Sony are usually good sources for a bluray player....but depends on your tv to an extent as to what you might need, what is that or what are you aiming at? As to the best experience, it's still bluray in its various forms....streaming is pretty good but not quite there.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It is worth looking at Plex as well and consider ripping discs from the physical format to a digital format and then not using a player at all, but a in-home streaming setup. You can use an old PC, if you have one, and put a large hard drive in it and put all your movies onto the hard drive. Use a Roku or similar 4K streaming device and it can stream movies, at full 4K quality, to your display.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I still use my PS3 for bluerays, so if you want to save some money you could give it a try and see how your TV or receiver upscales to 4k if you go 4k. If the 4k streaming content is noticeable better than your bluerays, you can consider a 4k player, but remember that you need 4k discs as well. The player should upscale older 1080 discs as well but whether it does that better than the receiver depends upon the internal electronics.

I also like Plex for streaming video files and it works well with music also. Besides the Roku, the NVidia Shield is a nice streaming device that does Plex, Youtube, and many other services, and with a bit of effort will run Kodi as well.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I still use my PS3 for bluerays, so if you want to save some money you could give it a try and see how your TV or receiver upscales to 4k if you go 4k. If the 4k streaming content is noticeable better than your bluerays, you can consider a 4k player, but remember that you need 4k discs as well. The player should upscale older 1080 discs as well but whether it does that better than the receiver depends upon the internal electronics.

I also like Plex for streaming video files and it works well with music also. Besides the Roku, the NVidia Shield is a nice streaming device that does Plex, Youtube, and many other services, and with a bit of effort will run Kodi as well.
A good Blu-ray player won't upscale older 1080 discs to 4K. It will only upscale a DVD (720 bps) to the 1080 definition.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
A good Blu-ray player won't upscale older 1080 discs to 4K. It will only upscale a DVD (720 bps) to the 1080 definition.
I looked up the Panasonic and Sony players and both mention UHD upscaling to 4K. Most good TVs and AVRs do a pretty decent job of that any way, so not a must have.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I looked up the Panasonic and Sony players and both mention UHD upscaling to 4K. Most good TVs and AVRs do a pretty decent job of that any way, so not a must have.
Sorry. I was mislead as I still have a 12 year old Panasonic Plasma set. I will eventually get a 4K TV but the Panny is still functioning well. At present I don't find any rush to spend on one.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry. I was mislead as I still have a 12 year old Panasonic Plasma set. I will eventually get a 4K TV but the Panny is still functioning well. At present I don't find any rush to spend on one.
I'm with you. ;) My Panasonic Plasma is also about 12 years old now as well and still looks great. Moving to 4k means upgrading the AVR too, so there is that to consider as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis