Newb needs some help: speaker size

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Buck,

Those enclosures look amazing.

I would be pleased to hear about your first impressions and comparison with the speakers which are being replaced.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I have had some time to get over the initial euphoria of the Salk Songtowers arriving here in the desert and to do some listening. I will admit its difficult to have any sense of objectivity when it comes to these speakers. In fact, here is the point in this brief review of my initial impressions where all factual data ends. I make no pretense from here on out for any objectivity. Everything from here forward should be viewed as the ravings of someone besotted with a brand new source of audio joy.

SPECIAL SHOUT OUT TO SWERD: @Swerd was instrumental in helping me decide for the Salks. thanks. You got it completely correct.

Initial Impressions

Doing business with Salk Sound
Out of the box experience when they arrive
Placement and first tunes
Balance
Would I do it again?

For those of you who don’t know, Jim Salk only sells speakers via the web or telephone. There are no brick n mortar stores or dealers with demo equipment. Each speaker is made to order specifically for you when you get in the queue. There are a fair number of optional items so literally each set is somewhat unique. The lead time to delivery can be “daunting”.

Jim has figured out his target market. It isn’t newbs or lookiloos who are just shopping or just want to ask questions. It isn’t audiophools who need their egos stroked and a Perrier and a scone in a show room. Jim has taken aim at people with informed opinions who want something better than what the big box stores sell. You have to do the research and make your decision before you place your order. Nobody at Salk is going to “sell” you on a speaker.

Its efficient. Jim is very timely in his communications. I enjoyed his style of doing business.

Out of the box experience

Apple is a company widely known for having a great out of the box experience with their products. What does it feel like to have the box in your hands and go through the startup process? With Salk, the out of box experience is exceptional. Packing materials are top notch : but you can open everything without a tool or an axe or a chainsaw. Packing materials protect everything, and there isn’t one stitch of extra or waste.

Jim’s introductory materials cover everything you need to know, and don’t waste a sentence. I didn’t have a single question that wasn’t covered in his simple set of handouts. He includes a demo CD with the admonition to try and listen to it before you listen to your own demo CD. This was an instruction that was revealing and worth the effort.

The out of box experience was exceptional : no big box store loading cardboard in to your Subaru will get close.

One of the immediate differences between my installed Klipsch system and the Songtowers was placement. I can place the Songtowers literally anywhere in the front of my listening room and they sound great. My Klipsch system had to be placed exactly in certain positions to create the phantom center channel. The Songtowers sounded great in the first place I put them and in every location since.

My initial impressions were a taller and deeper phantom center channel. As well, the listener has a lot more flexibility in the listening seat to move around and still get great sound.

Balance

If there is a characteristic that’s most noticeably different than the Klipsch it would be the total balance of the sound. On Jim’s demo cd, there are songs that highlight different characteristics in music: human voice, piano, stringed instruments, acoustic guitar and others. Each song is a home run for balanced sound: the speakers reproduce the whole enchilada without any effort at all.

My favorite comparison would be balance across the bottom end. The Eagles, Hotel California, Hell Freezes Over (Live) is an example. That’s an acoustic version of Hotel California and it begins with a kick drum. If I set my Klipsch up to get that kick drum just right (prominent but not overbearing) when I would then play Alison Kraus / Robert Plant, Raising Sand, and a tune like Killing the Blues, the bass line would simply drive you out of the room. If I set it up to get the Raising Sand album right, there would literally be no kick drum in Hotel California. The Salks just do it right and don’t blow it at the extremes.

Top to bottom and particularly everything in the middle, is “just right”. No peaks. No ear fatigue from the tweeters anymore. Their graphs of frequency response are flat as a table. They even send you the freq response curves for the tweeters in your speakers. Who does that? Salk does.

Would I do it again?

Would I do it again? In a word, yes. These aren’t cheap. Everybody has a different tolerance for cost and value and I’m no different. My existing system was sounding pretty darn good since working with the AH folks who can help with that kind of stuff. The new Salks sound better to me. Better is tough to define exactly in a way that’s objective and measured and defensible. I’m lucky this is a hobby and I don’t have to do any of that. I just have to like what I hear better than what I had. They are better and I’d do it again. Not only that but my wife has already said that after we spend a ton of money on her wish list (fair is fair) she would green light a second pair of Salks for the main listening room in the house. An expensive pair. The really juicy stuff like Salk Soundscape 8’s. That’s about as solid a testimonial as I can give.

Thanks for reading. Sorry I’m not better with the audiophool prose and outlandish claims and comments. I’m just a relative newb after all.

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Congrats on your purchase. I'm glad you are pleased with them to date.

Are you still putting them in this room between your feet when reclining on the Lazyboy?

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Congrats on your purchase. I'm glad you are pleased with them to date.

Are you still putting them in this room between your feet when reclining on the Lazyboy?

Same room, yes. But different placement. I can push the new ones much closer to the corners. I also can toe the Salks in.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I have had some time to get over the initial euphoria of the Salk Songtowers arriving here in the desert and to do some listening. I will admit its difficult to have any sense of objectivity when it comes to these speakers. In fact, here is the point in this brief review of my initial impressions where all factual data ends. I make no pretense from here on out for any objectivity. Everything from here forward should be viewed as the ravings of someone besotted with a brand new source of audio joy… …
Buck

I've so busy chasing mice, that I hadn't noticed your post yesterday.

They look great, as expected :D. The unstained cherry's pale color should get darker and/or redder during the next year.

I loved reading your impressions. What can I say, other than you're welcome :). You're going to be having some fun in the next weeks & months listening to all your old music and hearing new sounds that you didn't know existed.

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Buck

I've so busy chasing mice, that I hadn't noticed your post yesterday.

They look great, as expected :D. The unstained cherry's pale color should get darker and/or redder during the next year.

I loved reading your impressions. What can I say, other than you're welcome :). You're going to be having some fun in the next weeks & months listening to all your old music and hearing new sounds that you didn't know existed.
Chasing mice? Thats gonna require some back story !:)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Case in point:

Kurt
Do you own those Salks? Congratulations if you do.
The curly cherry "wave" is a beautiful effect.
In person, its very easy to see and depending on where you stand, it changes with your point of view.
With a camera, its pretty hard to get across.
I will continue to work at it until I get something I can share.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Kurt
Do you own those Salks? Congratulations if you do.
The curly cherry "wave" is a beautiful effect.
In person, its very easy to see and depending on where you stand, it changes with your point of view.
With a camera, its pretty hard to get across.
I will continue to work at it until I get something I can share.
I think a video is the only true way to capture the chatoyance.
https://www.rockler.com/how-to/what-is-chatoyance/

In a curly wood, the angle of the grain is changing and as you move the object in front of you, that change reveals depth as reflected light transitions from side grain to looking into the end grain (enhanced by the right finish technique). It is the transitioning that reveals the appearance of depth and you cannot capture that in a still shot. At least I don't see the effect if I just look at the wood without moving my head or the wood a little.

Those speakers now belong to Alex2507. I sold them to him when I bought my Phil3's from Dennis Murphy.

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I think a video is the only true way to capture the chatoyance.
https://www.rockler.com/how-to/what-is-chatoyance/
Chatoyance ? O dear ! A new term to namedrop in audiophile DIY and other conversations with newbs to demonstrate my advanced abilities. What a find. And, I believe you are correct. Without movement, its tough to catch the wave ! (there's a pun there somewhere)

Here's the Songtowers in their new digs. They are singing happily

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have had some time to get over the initial euphoria of the Salk Songtowers arriving here in the desert and to do some listening. I will admit its difficult to have any sense of objectivity when it comes to these speakers. In fact, here is the point in this brief review of my initial impressions where all factual data ends. I make no pretense from here on out for any objectivity. Everything from here forward should be viewed as the ravings of someone besotted with a brand new source of audio joy.

SPECIAL SHOUT OUT TO SWERD: @Swerd was instrumental in helping me decide for the Salks. thanks. You got it completely correct.

Initial Impressions

Out of the box experience when they arrive
Balance
Would I do it again?

For those of you who don’t know, Jim Salk only sells speakers via the web or telephone. There are no brick n mortar stores or dealers with demo equipment. Each speaker is made to order specifically for you when you get in the queue. There are a fair number of optional items so literally each set is somewhat unique. The lead time to delivery can be “daunting”.

Jim has figured out his target market. It isn’t newbs or lookiloos who are just shopping or just want to ask questions. It isn’t audiophools who need their egos stroked and a Perrier and a scone in a show room. Jim has taken aim at people with informed opinions who want something better than what the big box stores sell. You have to do the research and make your decision before you place your order. Nobody at Salk is going to “sell” you on a speaker.

Its efficient. Jim is very timely in his communications. I enjoyed his style of doing business.

Out of the box experience

Apple is a company widely known for having a great out of the box experience with their products. What does it feel like to have the box in your hands and go through the startup process? With Salk, the out of box experience is exceptional. Packing materials are top notch : but you can open everything without a tool or an axe or a chainsaw. Packing materials protect everything, and there isn’t one stitch of extra or waste.

Jim’s introductory materials cover everything you need to know, and don’t waste a sentence. I didn’t have a single question that wasn’t covered in his simple set of handouts. He includes a demo CD with the admonition to try and listen to it before you listen to your own demo CD. This was an instruction that was revealing and worth the effort.

The out of box experience was exceptional : no big box store loading cardboard in to your Subaru will get close.

One of the immediate differences between my installed Klipsch system and the Songtowers was placement. I can place the Songtowers literally anywhere in the front of my listening room and they sound great. My Klipsch system had to be placed exactly in certain positions to create the phantom center channel. The Songtowers sounded great in the first place I put them and in every location since.

My initial impressions were a taller and deeper phantom center channel. As well, the listener has a lot more flexibility in the listening seat to move around and still get great sound.

Balance

If there is a characteristic that’s most noticeably different than the Klipsch it would be the total balance of the sound. On Jim’s demo cd, there are songs that highlight different characteristics in music: human voice, piano, stringed instruments, acoustic guitar and others. Each song is a home run for balanced sound: the speakers reproduce the whole enchilada without any effort at all.

My favorite comparison would be balance across the bottom end. The Eagles, Hotel California, Hell Freezes Over (Live) is an example. That’s an acoustic version of Hotel California and it begins with a kick drum. If I set my Klipsch up to get that kick drum just right (prominent but not overbearing) when I would then play Alison Kraus / Robert Plant, Raising Sand, and a tune like Killing the Blues, the bass line would simply drive you out of the room. If I set it up to get the Raising Sand album right, there would literally be no kick drum in Hotel California. The Salks just do it right and don’t blow it at the extremes.

Top to bottom and particularly everything in the middle, is “just right”. No peaks. No ear fatigue from the tweeters anymore. Their graphs of frequency response are flat as a table. They even send you the freq response curves for the tweeters in your speakers. Who does that? Salk does.

Would I do it again?

Would I do it again? In a word, yes. These aren’t cheap. Everybody has a different tolerance for cost and value and I’m no different. My existing system was sounding pretty darn good since working with the AH folks who can help with that kind of stuff. The new Salks sound better to me. Better is tough to define exactly in a way that’s objective and measured and defensible. I’m lucky this is a hobby and I don’t have to do any of that. I just have to like what I hear better than what I had. They are better and I’d do it again. Not only that but my wife has already said that after we spend a ton of money on her wish list (fair is fair) she would green light a second pair of Salks for the main listening room in the house. An expensive pair. The really juicy stuff like Salk Soundscape 8’s. That’s about as solid a testimonial as I can give.

Thanks for reading. Sorry I’m not better with the audiophool prose and outlandish claims and comments. I’m just a relative newb after all.
Congrats Buck!

I've been waiting for your response...I have to admit, reading this post gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

My Salks (Song3A/Supercharge Song Ctr in natural curly Cherry as well) obviously have a ways to go, but I'm happy for you!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Buck, they look amazing. When are you gonna invite me over to hear them? I'd love to be able to check them out and give a listen. Then I can tell folks I know what Salk Songs sound like! :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis