Newb, blew out my white van speakers!

F

FnFancy

Audioholic Intern
Hello and greetings to all you audiophiles! So, back story.....(I know, how boring can I get?) Growing up my pops had a very decent sound system, don't ask me what I just remember him shouting "those are $500 speakers, what are you doing!?". So the ear for decent sound was born. I've servived on hand me downs so far, but the latest pair of speakers, which I've realized thanks to you fine folks were of the white van speakers variety, have blown out on me. My fault, Halloween exhaustion engine at an insane level will truly put any speaker to the test. I've rebuilt these speakers once, when I first inherited them from a neighbor. On too what I have as of now, jvc rx884v, a little vizio sub and the amazing white van speaker "acoustic research dynamics, inc". Yes these are liquid cooled! I kid, I now know that while I was able to coax decent sound out of them, I need something of better quality. So, for two speakers in the 300-400 dollar range, in a short but long wooden floor room, what are my best options to pair with my current reciever? Why can I hear dialogue through my sub? Any and all help, ridicule or internet slap in the face is welcome and appreciated! Here are some pictures...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
First of all, you are likely hearing dialogue through your sub because the low pass filter in the AVR is set too high. It should be set to 80 Hz. look for an LFE cossover setting in the AVR speaker setting menu, and set that to 80 Hz.

For decent speakers in the $300 to $400 range, I would look at bookshelf speakers. There are lots of good choices out there in this range, check out Hsu HB-1 mk2s, Ascend CBM-170s, Philharmonic AAM+, RBH R-5E Impressions, RSL CG23 Monitors, among others.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
For $10.00 more these would outperform the Boston A26.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/kefq150blk/kef-q150-5.25-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-black-pair/1.html

Yeah, a decent sub is needed. That one is barely a "woofer." We got a whole thread here somewhere on budget subs that deliver.
No -- that would be $70 more .... The Boston is buy 1 each and get the second one for half price, which puts it just under $200 for the pair -- as far as which one is truly better, that is for His ears to decide as they are both good for the money, and will easily out-class the noise maker he has .... Enjoy your Christmas

Last edited:
F

FnFancy

Audioholic Intern
Sounds like book shelf speakers are they way to go, thank you all. I'll start looking into each of them, maybe I'll be able to hear some of them. I'll also look into my crossover on the reciever. I never realized how in depth all this can be, ha!

F

FnFancy

Audioholic Intern
Update, well at least on cross over frequency, it helped! I found a cross over frequency that was set to 120Hz and changed it to 80Hz. I think I'm truly out of my league. I have alot of reading to do. Side note, I also have this speaker, any good? Can I incorporate it to my current setup?

F

FnFancy

Audioholic Intern
A bump for some insight on the speaker in my last post

F

FnFancy

Audioholic Intern
And an update. Here's my purchase. Polk tower speakers and a sub.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I predict you will be much happier than you could have imagined. :)

F

FnFancy

Audioholic Intern
I predict you will be much happier than you could have imagined. :)
I'm a sucker for tower speakers. They should arrive Saturday and then it's on to setup. I thank everyone on this forum because I would never have known Polk prior to reading!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I used to own some Polk monitor 60s and they sounded pretty good. I think the 70s with a sub will easily outperform my old 60s. Enjoy!

F

FnFancy

Audioholic Intern
And on to set up! I've read about EQ being bad. I'm curious, I have a low mid and hi eq on my reciever. Should I leave these flat?I just hooked them and the sub up, even with eq flat they sound light years better than my previous set up. There's still so much to play with on the reciever, Dolby, prologic digital in the list goes on! Help?

F

FnFancy

Audioholic Intern
Well, mamma was pissed but once she heard them it got easier to justify. I'm still messing with settings, DTS, (which has do many choices), cross overs, LFE, there's some kind of effect (options 1-4) to choose from. Different applications sound better with different settings. Still trying to decide of I want to set a happy medium or mess with it every time. Well here she is... be kind.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Big improvement! Love the A7X! And what’s with all the lipos? Lol

F

FnFancy

Audioholic Intern
Just a casual update, these Polk monitors are so incredibly clear I find myself yearning for the distortion of my old sub par speakers! I put the right speaker (facing me) at plus 2 to even out sound deliverance. I go back to my days of metal concerts and these speakers are so pure I miss the distortion. Don't get me wrong, they sound amazing! It's just an eye opener to the horrible sound quality I'm used to. I know, first world problems, but I'm In heaven. Dispersion is amazing, i can walk into another room and still hear the sound. I want to thank this forum for schooling a young buck, being polite and never making the next gen feel inferior. Any metal heads out there, I recommend the blood for blood album "living in exile". It will certainly push your system!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis