New Xbox 360's maybe HDMI compatible

B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
This news story was posted today 7/11/06 on Gamespot.com and please everyone note that this is only a rumor so far.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=24790285&sid=6153824

If link does not work please just go to www.gamespot.com and look at the current news stories.

Microsoft stated in the past that they were not going to make an HD-DVD add on or include one in its gaming system. In May, it was confirmed by Microsoft that an HD-DVD add on was going to be released but it is for movies only, but no price was announced. Microsoft might add the HDMI on the HD-DVD add on though.

I do think adding HDMI to the system is Bogus because games for Xbox 360 are on DVD and DVD's can't hold a 1080p quality game. Plus, Microsoft will probably have to eat the costs for adding HDMI to the system to keep it $399. Besides, people at home make these pictures all the time and this one is really blurry.

Last edited:
A

augerpro

Enthusiast
Maybe I'm stupid so someone can enlighten me, BUT I was reading on another PS3 forum and people were saying the new ps3 games will be better looking than 360 simply because they will be a BR disc. Now with movies that is true, but with games we're really talking about basically current PC games running on an hdtv at resolutions we've had for years on the PC. And those games fit just fine on a single dvd9. So what is there really to gain with games on BR? Do we even know for sure that the games will actually come on BR discs?

To the OP: the 360 games are high rez, thus hdmi is a good thing.

K

KaptainKaCheek

Audiophyte
augerpro said:
another PS3 forum and people were saying the new ps3 games will be better looking than 360 simply because they will be a BR disc.
oh come on.. of course you'll see that on the PS3 forum. Some people are just die-hard fan boys and will never quit, regardless if they're right or wrong. It's just like the HDMI vs component vs VGA arguments.. time will tell what looks better as compared to each other.

Zer0beaT

Zer0beaT

Junior Audioholic
BluRay won't make a game look better. Game graphics have nothing to do with the disc and everything to do with what's inside the machine as far as processor/RAM/graphics processor. The question is will game data outgrow DVD9 this generation? If so, BluRay will be quite the plus to the PS3 as far as games. But remember, Xbox 360 has been out a year, so it's probably only 4 years until the next one. I don't see BluRay/HDDVD hitting critical mass by then, and if they are, just barely, in which case Microsoft can simply include the winning format in their next system.

I personally don't care about HDMI, I'm happy with component and I can't tell the difference between HDMI and component at all. I think HDMI is just a buzz word at this point. But HDMI 1.3 or whatever might be better than component, which is what PS3 will probably have.

I do have an Xbox 360 and depending on the price of the HDDVD add on, I might get one. But if it's like $199, I'd rather just wait off another year for a really good dedicated player from one of the formats (or a universal player).

I could see myself biting at $129 though. We'll see what happens. The end of the year should be pretty interesting for gamers!

A

augerpro

Enthusiast
That's what I'm saying Zerobeat. I'm not a console gamer but I still understand the technology, and i was wondering if these guys on the PS3 forum were just not technically informed or knew something I didn't. Like you said if games outgrow dvd9 maybe you would need BR or HDDVD. But couldn't two dvd9's be copied to the 360 harddrive and played ala the PC way (with disc 1 in the drive)? I don't know what the capabilities are of the 360 but this seems like a pretty obvious solution, in fact I figured that was the whole point of a 60gb harddrive in the 360 in the first place.

I really wonder what the price will be of the addon drive. I can't imagine it would be cheap. I mean just the pc drive alone is going for $1k. If this thing was even $500 I bet people would jump on it for pc's. I mean how hard can it be hook up to a computer (it's usb afterall), or even just yank the drive itself out from the enclosure and then hook it ot computer?

I tell you one thing, if it's $200 I'll buy one and hook to my htpc!

FierceTIMbo17

FierceTIMbo17

Audioholic
This is a fake, microsoft allways has a special connector so that you have to buy their cable if they added a hdmi output it would have a wierd connector for the back

A

augerpro

Enthusiast
Hmmm, I've never seen any "special" microsoft connectors ever.

FierceTIMbo17

FierceTIMbo17

Audioholic
augerpro said:
Hmmm, I've never seen any "special" microsoft connectors ever.
What i mean is that you cannot connect your own component cables to the back of a 360 like a dvd player you must have their cable, this is why this is a fake microsoft you make you buy their cable not use your own

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis