New UHD Blu-ray Company Reavon Slated to be Next OPPO?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry to steer this thread off course. The 205 supported all of the right disc formats and had 7.1 analog outputs. It was just too much money for me at the time. The Reavon would be of interest to anybody looking for those same features now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry to steer this thread off course. The 205 supported all of the right disc formats and had 7.1 analog outputs. It was just too much money for me at the time. The Reavon would be of interest to anybody looking for those same features now.
Yet the 203 for far less had those same capabilities....when new....they're getting closer now :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That’s true, but the 205 also had the analog and balanced stereo outputs for those who wanted them. That’s why they still command the big bucks.;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That’s true, but the 205 also had the analog and balanced stereo outputs for those who wanted them. That’s why they still command the big bucks.;)
Yeah like that makes a difference in most use....

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm surprised that the article doesn't mention that a superior player to the oppo is already available - The Panasonic 9000. I think its moronic that people are paying almost $2000 for a used oppo when you can get a new Panasonic 9000
Yet, it does not do stereo or multi-channel SACD.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sure, if you don't need a universal player to play universally, and only newer stuff, great....

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Lets hope they are better in Reliability than what's on the market now.
Are you implying that all Sony and Panasonic players are not reliable? I have a Sony x800 and I find it reliable. You just have to make sure that there is air circulation around it. IMO, it just performs as well as my OPPO UDP-203 and possibly better with ADD remastered CDs. We have to keep in mind that the CD format was invented by Sony.

As for Panasonic, I believe in the quality and reliability of their products, although I don't have one of their BD players. But I have a 10 year old plasma Panny which still functions flawlessly.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are you implying that all Sony and Panasonic players are not reliable? I have a Sony x800 and I find it reliable. You just have to make sure that there is air circulation around it. IMO, it just performs as well as my OPPO UDP-203 and possibly better with ADD remastered CDs. We have to keep in mind that the CD format was invented by Sony.

As for Panasonic, I believe in the quality and reliability of their products, although I don't have one of their BD players. But I have a 10 year old plasma Panny which still functions flawlessly.
Not only a primary part of disc drives, but sony drives/lasers were at the heart of a great number of brands.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Then again its what the overall market defines as reliable....seems most consumer electronics brands don't particularly advertise their this way...assumed disposability is part of that I'd think.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Then again its what the overall market defines as reliable....seems most consumer electronics brands don't particularly advertise their this way...assumed disposability is part of that I'd think.
It's true as most products are warranted for only one year. Then, there's definitely no incentive for a manufacturer to put any accent on reliability.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's true as most products are warranted for only one year. Then, there's definitely no incentive for a manufacturer to put any accent on reliability.
In a way the changing tech somewhat is disouraging let alone the wishy-washy typical consumer who barely knows what they "need".....

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
That’s nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not just nice, it's the whole point of buying an OPPO: multi-channel SACD play via internal DACs for analog output. OPPO was the last manufacturer to offer this sought after feature for folks who have pre HDMI AVRs or Pre-Pros.

Last edited:
}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic

I've got a 2009 Panasonic 46" Plasma that is undoubtedly the best TV I've ever owned. 12 years old, and though it's not a daily user anymore, it sure was for the first ~8 years. Not a single issue with it ever.

J

Jack&R

Audiophyte
Th Reavon UBX-200 is annonced with a Burr-Brown 1690 DAC built in , it is probably a mistake because this entry level chip was released in 2009 ( it was used on the Onkyo SR707 ) , has anyone else heard something different ?

B

bonnermartin

Audiophyte
I'm surprised that the article doesn't mention that a superior player to the oppo is already available - The Panasonic 9000. I think its moronic that people are paying almost $2000 for a used oppo when you can get a new Panasonic 9000
I have both the Panasonic 9000 and Oppo 203. I prefer the Oppo because of the Zoom feature which expand 4:3 bluray movies to fit our 77 inch 16:9 OLED TV.

O

oltos

Enthusiast
I particularly love the zoom feature in the Oppo UDP-203 as it beautifully zooms old movies filmed in 4 to 3 ratio into 16 to 9 for our 77inch OLED TV. An excellent example of this in the latest Blu-ray releases of "Show Boat" and "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon"

I do hope the Reavon includes the same excellent zoom features as featured in the Oppo UDP-203.
Oppo players offer huge bang for the buck, but I was heartbroken and enraged when I found that my Oppo 95-like ALL Oppo BD players-does not allow you to shift and center the desired part of the zoomed image on the screen-like my JVC XV-NA70BK DVD player can, and at 1/7 the price. This oversight was sheer dumbness. Why even bother adding zoom at all if what you want to zoom in on will usually overshoot the screen because you can't center it? And Oppo said that a firmware update won't add the missing functionality.

Not that Sony and Panasonic are any better; not even their top models have zoom. Arcam BD players had complete zoom control but they phased out their BD player line at least a year ago. I saw what was probably their best model for sale new last year but no way will I go for a $1K player only to get stuck with no parts support not many years later. We can probably thank those fascists from the BD Assn who initially advanced Oracle's BD-J BD authoring software, which among other cruel tricks disables zoom control, at least by default. And while none of my Warner and most of my Twilight Time BDs disable zoom, all of my Sony and Criterion Collection discs do. And because brands won't get licensed to make BD players if they don't at least comply with the basic BD-J platform they probably saw no point including zoom anymore-but yet another dumb move as countless users still have large DVD collections, which the BD Assn thugs have little or no legal control over.

As for the Reavon players, because those dopes disabled the Ctrl + F search command in the X200 player manual pdf, I almost missed seeing its zoom feature details on p. 16. But nothing there says that the remote can be used to shift and center the zoomed image. Thus, its zoom may be no better than any Oppo model. I emailed Reavon support to confirm this some days ago; no reply yet.

The worst of it is that even though Sony Electronics reps have asked me a few times this year for my thoughts on their A/V products, it's anyone's guess if or when desired changes will appear in forthcoming BD players. And I've yet to find any way of emailing or calling Panasonic A/V marketing. They clearly don't want to be bothered. And I just learned from Crutchfield of a successor to that top Panasonic 9000 player. Not surprisingly, when sales guy checked the manual it too has no zoom control. It really sucks that a small number of dumb, mean spirited egotistic people can succeed at ruining things for everyone else.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis