New TV with 6year old receiver

• Thread starter Is this name taken?
  • Start date
I

Is this name taken?

Audiophyte
I’m trying to figure out how to take advantage of HDR content on my LGC2 TV and maintain bitstream signal to my Onkyo TX-NR3030 receiver for Dolby Atmos. I know my receiver will not pass through HDR so, I thought I could send from my Blu-ray player with HDMI1 video to my TV and out from HDMI 2 “sub/audio” on Blu-ray the audio only to my receiver but, that doesn’t work. I guess “sub” HDMI 2 on Blu-ray is 1.4 so Dolby Atmos doesn’t work-only Dolby Surround.
Now, I’m wondering if a HDMI splitter will work. Or will the splitter downgrade both HDMI outputs to the same quality for matching and lose the HDR anyway.

Any experience with this situation ?
A new AVR is my last resort.
thank you!

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Did you setup the blu-ray player to use the audio out in the settings?

New receiver will clearly solve your issue of being fully complaint with hdr and atmos together.

I

Is this name taken?

Audiophyte
Did you setup the blu-ray player to use the audio out in the settings?

New receiver will clearly solve your issue of being fully complaint with hdr and atmos together.
I went into player audio settings and assigned audio to HDMI 2 as bitstream.
By separating the video from the audio I can of course see HDR content but my receiver tops out at “Dolby Surround” with that cable routing. After doing some research, I think that #2 HDMI port on the player is at best a 1.4 version (a no-go for Atmos).
when I route HDMI 1 (video/audio) through my receiver, Atmos works but, I lose HDR video.
Hate to buy a HDMI splitter only to find out the splitter matches only what the receiver can handle and still not get HDR video.
So I’m curious if someone else out there has found a concrete solution.

I

Is this name taken?

Audiophyte
What bluray player is it?
Working with a Samsung UBD-K8500 Blu-ray player.
I was seriously considering updating to the Panasonic DP-UB820O but, need to get this figured out first.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also, since Dolby Surround is just a sound mode/upmixer in your previous mention, what was the actual signal? Dolby True HD?

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Do not use Dolby Surround.

Use direct to hear the audio as intended by the source.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Devices like this are probably the best way to go:

They split the HDMI, but also perform EDID management and scaling. So, you maintain Atmos to the AVR while keeping your full 4K/HDR signal to the TV. Unlike standard splitters which just use the lowest common denominator for splitting the HDMI, these types of units have discrete outputs which can adjust the outgoing signal as needed.

I

Is this name taken?

Audiophyte
Devices like this are probably the best way to go:

They split the HDMI, but also perform EDID management and scaling. So, you maintain Atmos to the AVR while keeping your full 4K/HDR signal to the TV. Unlike standard splitters which just use the lowest common denominator for splitting the HDMI, these types of units have discrete outputs which can adjust the outgoing signal as needed.
This sounds promising. I will give this device a try. Thank you in advance!

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I have a a Samsung UBD-K8500 Blu-ray player. It definitely supports Atmos. Here's the Manual

Unlike most current Blu-ray players it was designed with two HDMI outputs. The Main one goes to the TV and the SUB one is Audio only for the AVR. Personally I route the Main HDMI through my Denon AVR-X4400h, but the UBD-K8500 is definitely capable of doing both. I have HDMI 1 set as bitstream and the Atmos content comes in fine on the X4400h.

Before you start I'd flash the Firmware to the latest version if it hasn't already been done.

As I don't use both HDMI outputs, I brushed up on the manual to see why @Is this name taken? is having an issue.

On page 14 it says:

Connections
Method 2 Connecting to an HDMI compatible AV receiver that does not support pass through
• Connect an HDMI cable (not supplied) from the HDMI OUT 1 jack on the back of the product to
the HDMI IN jack on your your TV. Connect another HDMI cable from the HDMI OUT 2 jack on the
product to the HDMI IN jack on your receiver.

Assuming @Is this name taken? is using HDMI cables that are spec'd 2.0 (or above) it should work just fine. His statement "#2 HDMI port on the player is at best a 1.4 version (a no-go for Atmos)." is incorrect.

Please check your firmware, cables and settings and advise. I see no rational to spend a couple grand on a new AVR when the solution could be easily obtained.

I hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a a Samsung UBD-K8500 Blu-ray player. It definitely supports Atmos. Here's the Manual

Unlike most current Blu-ray players it was designed with two HDMI outputs. The Main one goes to the TV and the SUB one is Audio only for the AVR. Personally I route the Main HDMI through my Denon AVR-X4400h, but the UBD-K8500 is definitely capable of doing both.

Before you start I'd flash the Firmware to the latest version if it hasn't already been done.

As I don't use both HDMI outputs, I'll go brush up on the manual and see why @Is this name taken? is having an issue.
I searched the manual for "atmos" and got zilch....interesting that it works.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hopefully the OP can get it to work. Wonder if a firmware update came after the manual?
Certainly. The manual is 2015 and the firmware is April 25, 2018. It's an "old" player but (touch wood) mine's still working fine. I got it an an "Open Box" store ages ago for about $75 C$, around the time of the X4400h but long before we bought the 4K TV.

I was there looking at a TV for a friend (I'm the geek buddy for my friends & family) and I mentioned to a clerk that I didn't see any 4K Blu-ray players on display. She went into the back and out came the Manager who explained they aren't focusing on them yet, but he had only one which he showed me (the UBD-K8500) of which he knew zero about (even less than me, which near zero). I quickly read the box and asked how much. He said they (corporate => it's a small chain of stores here) hadn't told him a price so I offered about $75 C$ and he accepted. I didn't know until much later what it could really do. It was nice to get a small win there as it listed for $399 USD.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis