New Turntable Worth It?

S

SJThomps

Audiophyte
I have a 28 year old Pioneer PL115D turntable with Shure M97XE cartridge. Works fine - sounds good on many records. Would getting a new entry level turntable such as Project Debut II or Goldring GR-1 with a $85 - $ 100 elliptical stylus cartridge yield a significant (noticable) improvement? Am planning on upgrading to Yamaha RXV 2500. Thanks for any input you can give.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Are you not satisfied with something about the turntable? You say it sounds good on many records, does that mean it doesn't sound good on others?

How old is the Shure cartridge?

S

slopoke

Audioholic Intern
Don't do it.....unless.

You can get the same cartridge in the new turntable. Every make and model of turntable cartridge creates a slightly different wear pattern on your vinyl as does each turntable. I went from an old Philips 212 to a new Technics only because the Philips died. The Technics was digging grime out of the tracks that I didn't even know was there and the pops etc. were awfull. Your records are used to the old turntable, stick with it as long as it works.

S

SJThomps

Audiophyte
Slopoke,

Thanks. I think I will stick with it. I was wondering the same thing about mismatch between new table/cartridge and old albums. Since I do not plan on getting more vinyl it probably makes sense to keep using current table as long as it works.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis