H

hifitommy

Enthusiast
starting

for starting out, i recommend a used tt either dd or belt drive. most have a speed switch for 33/45 selection. most also have detachable headshells which allow for easy cartridge mounting and stylus inspection. brands like technics or pioneer, sansui, can be real bargains and allow a beginner to get his feet wet before going larger in funding.

good places to look for used tables US Audio Mart and Audiogon in the turntables selections.

it's easy to just look for things in your price limit range, one i found in us audio mart was a kyocera that looked good with a detachable headshell. there are plenty of others in those sites that might fill you needs.

happy starting.

i can be found at the Audio Asylum and Audio Karma.

M

MacPro

Enthusiast
I used to have an XpressionII before a basement flood ruined it and the insurance paid for an Xpression III. The II came with a heavy metal platter with a cheap felt mat. I hated that mat as well. However, the platter being heavy as it was was responsible for part of the speed stability...rotational mass and one of Newton's laws about bodies remaining in motion" . IHO, moving up to the lighter acrylic platter may have worsened the speed stability to the point of being audible. The III's motor was designed with the acrylic platter in mind... so some compensation from either the motor or walwart would have been employed. The III has better stability and less wow and flutter than the II but not by that much.
I am curious about this "rotational mass" aspect. I have the new Pro-Ject Xpression Carbon, that shipped with the metal platter unlike the previous generation that came standard with the acrylic platter. I was considering utilizing the Acryl-it platter I purchased a few years back to use with my old Debut III. The differences in weight was always something that gave me pause if I would be sacrificing speed stability for a less resonant platter. I assume it won't have any effect on the motor as the UK have a version of this labeled the Xpression UKX which brings back the acrylic platter of old. It's a bit confusing as there isn't any mention as to why that switch was made for the Xpression Carbon.

T

Trev

Audioholic
I just spent $520 for a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with Ortofon 2M Red, + Pro-Ject Phono Box. $450+70$ Shipping. They were each used for a month apparently. I trust the seller. Thankful for Canuckaudiomart. With many higher end audio products, it seems you can really rely on second hand gear, because so many in these markets take care of their hardware. Sometimes it'll be cheaper to buy second hand, and pay for an adjustment (if necessary), than to buy first hand.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I just spent $520 for a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with Ortofon 2M Red, + Pro-Ject Phono Box. $450+70$ Shipping. They were each used for a month apparently. I trust the seller. Thankful for Canuckaudiomart. With many higher end audio products, it seems you can really rely on second hand gear, because so many in these markets take care of their hardware. Sometimes it'll be cheaper to buy second hand, and pay for an adjustment (if necessary), than to buy first hand.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but here is a demo Debut Carbon for $350 and a demo Phono box for $87 = $437 total, from AudioAdviser
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1PRDECA&variation=GLSGRN
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1PRPBMM

Dunno about AA shipping, but probably not $70.

You could have probably saved even a few more $.

T

Trev

Audioholic
Sorry to rain on your parade, but here is a demo Debut Carbon for $350 and a demo Phono box for $87 = $437 total, from AudioAdviser
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1PRDECA&variation=GLSGRN
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1PRPBMM

Dunno about AA shipping, but probably not $70.

You could have probably saved even a few more $.
I'm in Canada. Normally doesn't out so well getting gear here unless I drive down to pick it up. Would be $456 what I paid (in USD), but yeah after reading how much the Debut III was going for, I don't feel I've gotten a steal.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'm in Canada. Normally doesn't out so well getting gear here unless I drive down to pick it up. Would be $456 what I paid (in USD), but yeah after reading how much the Debut III was going for, I don't feel I've gotten a steal.
Didn't "get a steal", but didn't "get shafted" either.

Yeah the Debut III is cheaper, but the cart that comes with the III is nowhere near as good as that 2M Red. IMO, the extra price of the carbon is absolutely worth it because you get the carbon arm + a much better cart.

I think these guys give some stiff competition too.
http://store.uturnaudio.com/

T

Trev

Audioholic
Didn't "get a steal", but didn't "get shafted" either.

Yeah the Debut III is cheaper, but the cart that comes with the III is nowhere near as good as that 2M Red. IMO, the extra price of the carbon is absolutely worth it because you get the carbon arm + a much better cart.

I think these guys give some stiff competition too.
http://store.uturnaudio.com/
Thank you man. I was starting to get concerned I may have overpaid. I really appreciate your thoughts on it. Best of luck to OP. Hope these exchanges help.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
My wifes sister wanted a tt for her system {HT, energy classic with a pioneer sub, nothing crazy} I told her about the U turn and she went for it, she loves it so far, its been a little while now and she plays it pretty often as I understand it...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
ProJect makes great tables.The ProJect XpressionII I used to own before flood damage came equipped with an Ortofon OM10E. It wasn't a bad cartridge but I upgraded to the 2M Red. I found less record noise came through with the upgrade. Insureance replaced the XpressionII with the XPresionIII which is awesome table in its own right.

T

Trev

Audioholic
I finally set it up this weekend, played an album fresh out of the sleeve, and could not believe the clarity. ... Then, ... I played it a second time... and crackles and pops... very subtle but there... were present. This being mentioned because... well... part of this whole vinyl deal is also using the right tools to keep everything clean and at the same quality standard as the first play... or close as you can. If anyone has any products to recommend on that front... might as well here. The thread certainly has the right title.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
OK, so as far as the first play vs a "used" album, they all pop, lol... I use a soft bench brush to wipe my vinyl once and a while, but only because sometimes I will leave an album on the player and it could get dusty over time... I simply turn on the rotation and hold the brush on it.. Compressed air cans also work.. this is the burhs i have, I bought a case of them a while back... http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/H204060TL?engine=google&campaign=Shopping&adgroup=Tool > Brush > Bench&keyword=bench brush, wood nylon, brown grey, 13-3/4 inches 2-3/4 inch bristles. sold individually&gclid=CLbfy_uwgMICFY_m7Aod1U8AvQ

Get used to the pops and crackles, it is the reason to listen to vinyl, I listened to Hotel california so much that there was some lyrics missing, lol...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I finally set it up this weekend, played an album fresh out of the sleeve, and could not believe the clarity. ... Then, ... I played it a second time... and crackles and pops... very subtle but there... were present. This being mentioned because... well... part of this whole vinyl deal is also using the right tools to keep everything clean and at the same quality standard as the first play... or close as you can. If anyone has any products to recommend on that front... might as well here. The thread certainly has the right title.
I use this on my albums. I only use the fluid once on used records that I buy. After that, the brush remains dry on subsequent cleaning. I use the brush before every play.

http://www.amazon.ca/Audiovox-RD1006-DISCWASHER-RECORD-CARE/dp/B000KMZKTO

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja

why would you dislike my post? I was trying to answer your question, lessoned learned,

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I think that can be attributed to static charges developing during playback. Even cleaning an album with a dry brush like I do won't help the static issue. Its vinyl's Achilles heel. The plus side on all of this is that by cleaning before every play, you eliminate groove damage created by dirt particles.

T

Trev

Audioholic
why would you dislike my post? I was trying to answer your question, lessoned learned,
Didn't think it would be offensive. I just disagreed that pops and crackles were the reason to listen to vinyl. I don't use formats to hear their imperfections, and I wouldn't play something that was so damaged that lyrics were missing. Apologies. Rating undone in case it caused any damage.

The album stayed in my closet for an extremely long time. I didn't touch any part of the album spare the sides and set it on carefully which could attribute for a very low/non-static play, and why the second time after friction gave it hisses and a pop or two. I'd immediately thought dust, but then here "New to vinyl" thread, I totally didn't think of static. My wheels will be spinning now on technologies that could take care of that (albeit foolishly, as I'm sure it's been had for a very long time). Thanks 3db. Sorry again ImcLoud.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
I remember my mom having a soft brush and a velvet coated, round tool, with a handle for cleaning albums. That was many moons ago, I think I was 7 or so.
I would think canned compressed air would be best. Do they have a solution of some sort to fight static buildup? Is there a particular needle or cartridge that helps against this?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis