New to HTPC's, have simple recommendation questions.

M

mikcool1080

Audiophyte
Good evening members!

I am not well versed in computer intricacies (can run one well enough, but am pretty clueless when it comes to CPU, GPU, ram, processor, etc), and am looking to get back into HTPC's, as I used a spare laptop in the past and miss it. I am wanting to stream videos, acquire videos (previously I did this and transferred them to an external hard drive), and do some light gaming.

Below is a local listing for $300, will it accomplish the tasks that I mentioned an fairly well? Any and all tips would be GREATLY appreciated, as I don't have any experience in this realm of things.

HP Elitedesk 705 G4
Ryzen 5 2400ge 3.2 to 3.8 ghz 4 core 8 thread processor
16 gb ddr4 ram
500 gb ssd, room to add an m.2 ssd
vga and display port outputs
built in wifi
Windows 10 pro

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi mikcool.

This will work, but is a bit limited. Especially storage, but you probably know that.

This is a:
HP EliteDesk 705 G4 Desktop Mini Business PC Specifications

I think you need to check what Graphics Card is installed as the HTPC world is HDMI.

According to HP:

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 2400G and 2400GE APU with AMD Radeon Vega Graphics 11
NOTE:
AMD Ryzen PRO CPU requires discrete graphic card attached.
Video ports
(1) Optional configurable video port (rear)
NOTE:
Choice of DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI 2.0, VGA, or USB Type-C with alt mode display.

Discrete graphics option card with DisplayPort 1.4 available with select models.
(2) DisplayPort 1.2 (rear)

If it has DisplayPort 1.2 you can play 4K but it won't process HDR. I'd go for a Display Port to HDMI adapter so you can plug the HTPC into a HT Receiver and enjoy the sound as well as the video.

It also has a Realtek RTL8111EP-CG 10/100/1000M Ethernet controller. I much prefer Hard Wired LANs for video streaming.

I hope this is helpful.

M

mikcool1080

Audiophyte
Hi mikcool.

This will work, but is a bit limited. Especially storage, but you probably know that.

This is a:
HP EliteDesk 705 G4 Desktop Mini Business PC Specifications

I think you need to check what Graphics Card is installed as the HTPC world is HDMI.

According to HP:

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 2400G and 2400GE APU with AMD Radeon Vega Graphics 11

Video ports
(1) Optional configurable video port (rear)

(2) DisplayPort 1.2 (rear)

If it has DisplayPort 1.2 you can play 4K but it won't process HDR. I'd go for a Display Port to HDMI adapter so you can plug the HTPC into a HT Receiver and enjoy the sound as well as the video.

It also has a Realtek RTL8111EP-CG 10/100/1000M Ethernet controller. I much prefer Hard Wired LANs for video streaming.

I hope this is helpful.
- Thank you very much for the reply Jim! Here is a couple pictures that were included in the listing (as I am honestly fairly computer illiterate). I would be playing a video game or two and playing dvd or hd video files also. I wouldn't be hooking it up to a receiver, as I only have a TV and soundbar (I'm not sure if that is problematic). Once again, thank you a bunch for the reply and help, it is hugely appreciated!!
Screenshot 1.png
Screenshot.png

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
- Thank you very much for the reply Jim! Here is a couple pictures that were included in the listing (as I am honestly fairly computer illiterate). I would be playing a video game or two and playing dvd or hd video files also. I wouldn't be hooking it up to a receiver, as I only have a TV and soundbar (I'm not sure if that is problematic). Once again, thank you a bunch for the reply and help, it is hugely appreciated!!View attachment 54008View attachment 54009
I think that computer is way out of date as an HTPC in the current environment. This AV technology changes. I am now on my third HTPC iteration.

I don't see HDMI on that computer and that is now essential.

For an HTPC now you need to use hardware directed at gamers.

My HTPC is a home build, as I think they all are pretty much. In my situation the case is the same. The first rebuild was total, the last was partial, with new MOB and processor.

This is the processor.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G - Ryzen 5 5000 G-Series Cezanne (Zen 3) 6-Core 3.9 GHz Socket AM4 65W AMD Radeon Graphics Desktop Processor - 100-100000252BOX

This is the MOB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Mini ITX AMD Motherboard

If it was not for gamers, we would now be out of luck. I think a gamers build is now required for an HTPC in this current era. This is the first time I have used gamer's board. The performance is phenomenal. This HTPC gives a better picture than the apps on my C class TV and better than 4K Comcast.

You can select your power supply, RAM and SSD.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
- Thank you very much for the reply Jim! Here is a couple pictures that were included in the listing (as I am honestly fairly computer illiterate). I would be playing a video game or two and playing dvd or hd video files also. I wouldn't be hooking it up to a receiver, as I only have a TV and soundbar (I'm not sure if that is problematic). Once again, thank you a bunch for the reply and help, it is hugely appreciated!!View attachment 54008View attachment 54009
Thanks for the details. I'm not much of a gamer anymore even if I still build & spec high end Gamer Boxes for my son and nephews respectively. One of my nephews is a Software Engineer for EA Sports here in Metro Vancouver, and the other has a degree in Computer Science and does programming. And yes, my son gets EA Games for his birthday, and Christmas from them.

DisplayPort & HDMI Specs and capabilities have been leapfrogging each other for some time. Both carry Video and Audio in the same cable. The limitation of this computer for HTPC and Gaming use will vary based on it's optional Graphics Card and if it is Display Port 1.4 or 1.2. I cannot tell for certain if this has the optional Discreet Graphics Card mentioned in the Specification as the Ad posted doesn't tell me much. Can you ask the seller to give you full details so we can get this sorted?

DisplayPort 1.4 has a maximum total bandwidth of 32.4Gbps and a maximum total data rate of 25.92 Gbps. This is about the same as HDMI 2.1 That gives it enough bandwidth to handle a 4K UHD stream at up to 120Hz with 24-bit/px color, or a 5K display at up to 60Hz, with 30-bit/px color. It even supports 8K video, but only at up to 30Hz due to the hefty bandwidth demands. The DisplayPort 1.2 standards had a maximum sample rate of 768 kHz, a maximum sample size of 24 bits, and a maximum of eight audio channels. It's similar to HDMI 2.0

According to PC Gamer in 2018 AMD'S RYZEN 5 2400G IS A GOOD OPTION FOR A BUDGET GAMING PC

It also states: "As a home theater PC (HTPC), the new Ryzen APUs deliver an awesome value and a great experience. AMD's drivers have full support for all the common video formats"

Remember that this PC was released in 2018 and if it doesn't have the optional video card the comments in the review above will stand.

Here is AMD's page for reference on the integrated graphics and CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 2400GE with Radeon™ RX Vega 11 Graphics

Please advise the model for the TV and Soundbar so I can see what connections would work best for you. But I'm thinking at $300 (or less if you can negotiate it down a bit) it would make a nice HTPC with modest Gaming capability. If it has the Optional Graphics Card, even better.

I hope this is helpful.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I think that computer is way out of date as an HTPC in the current environment. This AV technology changes. I am now on my third HTPC iteration.

My HTPC is a home build, as I think they all are pretty much. In my situation the case is the same. The first rebuild was total, the last was partial, with new MOB and processor.

This is the processor.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G - Ryzen 5 5000 G-Series Cezanne (Zen 3) 6-Core 3.9 GHz Socket AM4 65W AMD Radeon Graphics Desktop Processor - 100-100000252BOX

This is the MOB

If it was not for gamers, we would now be out of luck. I think a gamers build is now required for an HTPC in this current era. This is the first time I have used gamer's board. The performance is phenomenal. This HTPC gives a better picture than the apps on my C class TV and better than 4K Comcast.

Hi @TLS Guy,

Respectfully, I disagree that you need to build to a current Gamer Box specifications for a reasonably good HTPC. It just needs to have a decent (not great) CPU, 16 Gigs of Ram, and a decent (not too high end by today's standards) video Card.

My HTPC is quite the dinosaur (July 2013 build) with an Asus Z-87 motherboard and i7-4770 CPU (4 cores /8 Threads) running at stock speeds (Even though I have a CPU water cooler and O/C'd it when new well beyond stock speeds.) I even use it for Video Processing (Power Director) to make the odd Blu-Ray, as it's got a Blu-Ray burner too. It's saving grace is it has a GTX-970 video card and will output 4K no issue. (The GTX-970 came from a mid-life refresh of my son's Gamer Box a couple years ago.) I connect it into an HDMI connector on a Denon receiver in the "Man Cave" (as my wife calls it). It allows me to send the raw audio and let the Denon decode it when I use Power DVD 20 for videos. It'll run any video flawlessly, regardless if it's a MKV file, MP4, 3gp, WMV, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc.

For grins I typed in GTX-970 into YouTube and got:
GTX 970 - Still Good in 2021?

The CPU and Motherboard in your Box (as I call PCs) cost well over $100 more that the whole computer the OP was looking to buy used. Not really in the same league. Your HTPC with a suitable Graphics Card would make a good gamer box and video editor. But no HTPC needs 6 or more cores to just play a movie.

Sorry if I offended you.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
I wouldn't touch any of Intel's chips w/ integrated graphics with a 10 ft pole. But, this Ryzen APU is fairly good for what it is. It is a fair price (300 bucks) for the hardware you're getting. You won't be able to game any of the AAA titles out there. To be fair, you may be able to game at 1080p or 720p on some older titles and get playable fps. But, it should be just fine if you're just watching movies in a htpc application. If your tv/projector/etc doesn't have a displayport input (only hdmi), get a displayport to hdmi adapter.

On the same note, you won't be able to upgrade/get a discrete GPU installed at a future date inside a case like this (thin client based form factor and whatever custom mobo HP put in it). You are stuck with what you bought. So, if it is just for streaming/watching movies/browsing/etc, get it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi @TLS Guy,

Respectfully, I disagree that you need to build to a current Gamer Box specifications for a reasonably good HTPC. It just needs to have a decent (not great) CPU, 16 Gigs of Ram, and a decent (not too high end by today's standards) video Card.

My HTPC is quite the dinosaur (July 2013 build) with an Asus Z-87 motherboard and i7-4770 CPU (4 cores /8 Threads) running at stock speeds (Even though I have a CPU water cooler and O/C'd it when new well beyond stock speeds.) I even use it for Video Processing (Power Director) to make the odd Blu-Ray, as it's got a Blu-Ray burner too. It's saving grace is it has a GTX-970 video card and will output 4K no issue. (The GTX-970 came from a mid-life refresh of my son's Gamer Box a couple years ago.) I connect it into an HDMI connector on a Denon receiver in the "Man Cave" (as my wife calls it). It allows me to send the raw audio and let the Denon decode it when I use Power DVD 20 for videos. It'll run any video flawlessly, regardless if it's a MKV file, MP4, 3gp, WMV, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc.

For grins I typed in GTX-970 into YouTube and got:
GTX 970 - Still Good in 2021?

The CPU and Motherboard in your Box (as I call PCs) cost well over $100 more that the whole computer the OP was looking to buy used. Not really in the same league. Your HTPC with a suitable Graphics Card would make a good gamer box and video editor. But no HTPC needs 6 or more cores to just play a movie.

Sorry if I offended you.
I can tell that the picture quality that I'm getting of this new ASSUS gamers board is night and day better then what I was getting off my two year old Gigabyte board.

This new system is super fast with fantastic PQ and SQ. This is by far the best version of the three iterations I have had in that case. As far as I'm concerned it was money very well spent. As long as it stays functional, I would see no need to change it. My HTPC is my most used peripheral, so I want it optimized to the highest degree.

M

mikcool1080

Audiophyte
Thanks for the details. I'm not much of a gamer anymore even if I still build & spec high end Gamer Boxes for my son and nephews respectively. One of my nephews is a Software Engineer for EA Sports here in Metro Vancouver, and the other has a degree in Computer Science and does programming. And yes, my son gets EA Games for his birthday, and Christmas from them.

DisplayPort & HDMI Specs and capabilities have been leapfrogging each other for some time. Both carry Video and Audio in the same cable. The limitation of this computer for HTPC and Gaming use will vary based on it's optional Graphics Card and if it is Display Port 1.4 or 1.2. I cannot tell for certain if this has the optional Discreet Graphics Card mentioned in the Specification as the Ad posted doesn't tell me much. Can you ask the seller to give you full details so we can get this sorted?

DisplayPort 1.4 has a maximum total bandwidth of 32.4Gbps and a maximum total data rate of 25.92 Gbps. This is about the same as HDMI 2.1 That gives it enough bandwidth to handle a 4K UHD stream at up to 120Hz with 24-bit/px color, or a 5K display at up to 60Hz, with 30-bit/px color. It even supports 8K video, but only at up to 30Hz due to the hefty bandwidth demands. The DisplayPort 1.2 standards had a maximum sample rate of 768 kHz, a maximum sample size of 24 bits, and a maximum of eight audio channels. It's similar to HDMI 2.0

According to PC Gamer in 2018 AMD'S RYZEN 5 2400G IS A GOOD OPTION FOR A BUDGET GAMING PC

It also states: "As a home theater PC (HTPC), the new Ryzen APUs deliver an awesome value and a great experience. AMD's drivers have full support for all the common video formats"

Remember that this PC was released in 2018 and if it doesn't have the optional video card the comments in the review above will stand.

Here is AMD's page for reference on the integrated graphics and CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 5 2400GE with Radeon™ RX Vega 11 Graphics

Please advise the model for the TV and Soundbar so I can see what connections would work best for you. But I'm thinking at $300 (or less if you can negotiate it down a bit) it would make a nice HTPC with modest Gaming capability. If it has the Optional Graphics Card, even better.

I hope this is helpful.
- Thank you iso much for the information Jim, it has been extremely helpful (the pc world is very foreign to me, if it hasn't been too obvious, ha).

I asked the seller for more information on the graphics card and DisplayPort, with him replying that it does indeed have the optional graphics card 'Vega 11 Graphics' and a DisplayPort 1.2.

The model of the TV is LC-50UB30U and I have located a spec sheet on it:
tv specs.png

I wasn't able to locate the soundbars model number, but was able to locate the specifications of it:
soundbar specs.png

From the information that you provided I am worried that the DisplayPort and graphics card will limit me a bit, is it worthwhile/advised to look into a different APU for the unit (as I understand, the APU has the graphics card integrated into it and isn't interchangable?)? Thank you very much for your time Jim.

M

mikcool1080

Audiophyte

This is the processor.

This is the MOB

- Thank you very much for the reply TLS Guy, that looks like a very nice PC. After looking into the costs that would be inferred, it would be a little out of my ideal price range though.

M

mikcool1080

Audiophyte
I wouldn't touch any of Intel's chips w/ integrated graphics with a 10 ft pole. But, this Ryzen APU is fairly good for what it is. It is a fair price (300 bucks) for the hardware you're getting. You won't be able to game any of the AAA titles out there. To be fair, you may be able to game at 1080p or 720p on some older titles and get playable fps. But, it should be just fine if you're just watching movies in a htpc application. If your tv/projector/etc doesn't have a displayport input (only hdmi), get a displayport to hdmi adapter.

On the same note, you won't be able to upgrade/get a discrete GPU installed at a future date inside a case like this (thin client based form factor and whatever custom mobo HP put in it). You are stuck with what you bought. So, if it is just for streaming/watching movies/browsing/etc, get it.
- I am very appreciative for the reply Am_P. After researching a bit (I am not the most pc savvy to be honest), I think that the pc would be a bit limited also. There are no options that are available for a different GPU? Thank you for your time.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
- Thank you iso much for the information Jim, it has been extremely helpful (the pc world is very foreign to me, if it hasn't been too obvious, ha).

I asked the seller for more information on the graphics card and DisplayPort, with him replying that it does indeed have the optional graphics card 'Vega 11 Graphics' and a DisplayPort 1.2.

The model of the TV is LC-50UB30U and I have located a spec sheet on it: View attachment 54102

I wasn't able to locate the soundbars model number, but was able to locate the specifications of it: View attachment 54103

From the information that you provided I am worried that the DisplayPort and graphics card will limit me a bit, is it worthwhile/advised to look into a different APU for the unit (as I understand, the APU has the graphics card integrated into it and isn't interchangable?)? Thank you very much for your time Jim.
The information you got from the vendor is for the base PC Model, as the optional card had DisplayPort 1.4 capability. The capability of the CPU based Graphics via DisplayPort 1.2 is it supports up to 4K at 60Hz which is all your Sharp TV can handle anyway, so really there's no loss there for your application.

There are two simple options for connection using a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter from the PC. Plug it into the TV. Then use an Optical cable from the Audio Output of the TV to the sound bar. The second option is to plug it into the Soundbar and then use another HDMI Cable to go from the HDMI Video Output with Audio Return Channel (ARC). If the HDMI "handshaking" works out the later will probably be easier.

This PC should fit your present needs quite well, and of course will be hard to beat at only $300. Moving to a more capable PC will not get you and better video on your TV, nor sound quality from the Soundbar. But it will cost you more!

Now if you want to increase your Budget, and move up to a more capable TV and surround sound system, a more capable PC would make sense.

I hope this is helpful.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
- I am very appreciative for the reply Am_P. After researching a bit (I am not the most pc savvy to be honest), I think that the pc would be a bit limited also. There are no options that are available for a different GPU? Thank you for your time.
Simple rule of thumb...If you want your HTPC to be "gaming capable", plan on spending a fortune in this current market, primarily because of high performance discrete GPU prices. If you're NOT a gamer and you're just watching/streaming movies, the 300 dollar machine on your watchlist with a Ryzen APU (w/integrated graphics) should work just fine. You will be spending a lot in this market for a gaming capable HTPC because of cryptomining/scalping and other gpu shortages. At the least, you will be spending a 1000 bucks for a GPU alone, which has a msrp of 400 bucks.

Another criteria for a HTPC is that it should have a case form factor that fits in your hometheater/stereo rack. Hence, it would severely limit your options and you would most probably need to go the DIY route. For instance (check attached), i found one case in production that could fit a full length gpu, full size psu, 240 mm AIO (could be run at low rpms/lower noise floor), ATX mobo, etc that could fit in my stereo rack and provide max flexibility for future updates. You may easily end up spending upwards of 1500 bucks if you went this route and have it be gaming worthy....And this happens to be a relatively lower end rig in comparison to my dedicated cadillac gaming rig that i have in a different room. You don't need any of this sht if you're just streaming movies from a NAS device or using streaming services. Generally, this is an awful time to be PC shopping. If you're not a DIY savvy guy who has sunk his hands into PC hardware for a while, just take the easy route and buy that thing on your watchlist man. It may be the best deal at the moment. Good luck.
IMG_20220223_190301.jpg

jinjuku

jinjuku

It's the GPU that determines the PQ. You don't need a ton of CPU for h.264.

Just need a display port to hdmi dongle. $12.

M

msankadi

Audiophyte
I am using a simple i5 based intel nuc paired with a 16gb ram and SSD of 320gb...overall cost for this was around 250 USD...I have been using it for almost 2 years now...and it works flawlessly...I use Kodi as my media center

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
As long as the video card can decode all the video codecs you need it to, then it will work for video playback.

However, as it was pointed out, a discreet GPU for gaming is very expensive right now and will blow your budget. A "cheap" GPU is $400 right now, which is insane.

As someone said, the AMD APUs are pretty good for casual gaming at 1080p, but don't expect to play AAA titles with full quality graphics enabled. You'll still have a fun gaming experience though.

M

mikcool1080

Audiophyte
Thank you for all of the information that you gentleman/woman have provided, it has been very informative (especially from a non-computer savvy person). Unfortunately when I went to pull the trigger on Tuesday the gentleman had just sold it. Without posting every time whether a listing is a smart choice, what would you all suggest doing to educate myself? Thank you again for your time.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis