BayAreaRider

BayAreaRider

Junior Audioholic
Alright, good to know. I’m seeing a refrigerator sized ported box when modeling this bad boy and I don’t think that’s going to jive in my living room. Unfortunate. I’ve read for hours on subs in my current budget, which is based of interest in this hobby, and considering I’m not fully immersed yet I’m thinking that VTF 15h looks like the way to go to start. Good value, good output, hopefully some resale value down the road.

Is the VTF only available through HSU? I’m close to pulling the trigger, but wondering whether I should consider less powerful subs and go dual instead. I swear they had a spring sale going on this morn with $50 off but it’s no longer on sale.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The VTF15h mk2 is only available through Hsu, unless you can find a used one somewhere. You are right that they do hold their value relatively well, because not many people part with them once they get one, so they aren't that common on the used market. There are some good alternatives if you want duals of less powerful subs. The VTF-2 MK5 is a great sub for the price, and two of those would nearly equal the performance of a single VTF15h mk2. Two Monoprice Monolith THX 10"s would have a nice sound although they will would not equal the midbass output of a VTF15h mk2. Two ULS-15 mk2s would clobber a single VTF15h mk2 in midbass but not quite equal it in deep bass output. Two Monolith THX 12"s should be able to equal the VTF15h mk2 in midbass headroom and have slightly more deep bass output. The same should be true of the SVS PC-2000 and Outlaw Audio Ultra-X12. If you really want to splurge, look at dual VTF-3 mk5s.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Alright, good to know. I’m seeing a refrigerator sized ported box when modeling this bad boy and I don’t think that’s going to jive in my living room. Unfortunate. I’ve read for hours on subs in my current budget, which is based of interest in this hobby, and considering I’m not fully immersed yet I’m thinking that VTF 15h looks like the way to go to start. Good value, good output, hopefully some resale value down the road.

Is the VTF only available through HSU? I’m close to pulling the trigger, but wondering whether I should consider less powerful subs and go dual instead. I swear they had a spring sale going on this morn with $50 off but it’s no longer on sale.
There's the old Hoffman's Iron Law thing getting in the way unfortunately. You can go full Marty or modified Marty :)

BayAreaRider

BayAreaRider

Junior Audioholic
Thanks guys for all the info and links. I’m going to get the the VTF 15 and then maybe another in the future.

Another question - My receiver has an output for a sub on the back, which I’ve never used. My Yamaha sub needed high level inputs to it instead of rcas, so I’m not clear on what I should be using instead of wire. I’m not at home, but I’m pretty sure the subwoofer output on the receiver is just one RCA Jack. Is this going to work for this sub or should I be looking at a new receiver? I see the 15h has balanced inputs on the back of it but my receiver def does not support that. I forget what those are called.

Keep in mind I’ll be running the signal up the wall, across the ceiling in the attic, and back down the wall behind my sofa. A minimum 40 feet. I’m on concrete slab with a floating floor so no option to go underneath.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just make certain you get a good cable... doesn’t have to be fancy, just shielded with a good conductor. I like monoprice for all my cables... look at their high quality subwoofer cable. Available in long lengths. Others here will recommend Blue Jeans, but that gets a little expensive, imo.
I have had zero issues with my 20’ Monoprice HQ Sub cable, even as it runs past amp power cords and a power strip!
:)
Oh... those balanced jacks... used to call them cannon plugs, are called XLR. If your receiver had them for output, that would be the way to go... but you’ll be fine if you choose that monoprice. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The SVS wireless kit is another option. That’s what I use with one of my HSU subs.

BayAreaRider

BayAreaRider

Junior Audioholic
The SVS wireless kit is another option. That’s what I use with one of my HSU subs.
Are those really any good? I mean - will my quality suffer? I know Bluetooth is crap to stream with, not sure what these are. I imagine she would have something good but I’m hesitant.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Snake, obviously, vouches for his experience with them. :) I've seen a couple other thumbs-ups for them.

I think more important, though, is your room and situation.
Do you have an exact measurment of the run you will make if wired? Is there any way to shorten it? Is there anything else that might cause signal interference if you went wireless transmitter for the sub (i.e. wifi router in room, wireless phone transmitter, ca.1983 microwave oven, faraday cage o_O, etc)?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've used wireless subs (not same kit as mentioned), they can work fine, never had an interference issue but I don't have much around to interfere either....altho I did use an ancient microwave for a while :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Are those really any good? I mean - will my quality suffer? I know Bluetooth is crap to stream with, not sure what these are. I imagine she would have something good but I’m hesitant.
It works perfect. They are awesome. :)

BayAreaRider

BayAreaRider

Junior Audioholic
Savage. I have a WiFi router in the room but it’s 9’ high in the air on a wire shelf my mother welded up for me. Opposite side that the sub would be on. No microwave in my house if you can believe that!

Shoot I might have to pick up one of these wireless transmitters honestly. My living room and dining room are on a slab so there’s no option but to go through the ceiling. The walls are 9’ and the run is roughly 20’. I have a power outlet and an old gang box for a coax connection I can gut near where the sub will theoretically be placed - next to the sofa - but damn I’ve fished enough wires through my walls already. If I can avoid it with a unit for a buck twenty or so I think I may go that route given the consensus.

I just have a little 2.1 going on with center channel, but plan to upgrade eventually with some wedges in the ceiling behind my sofa and some towers next to the tv. I’ll run wire for those for sure.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis