New to DIY Speakers - Looking for recommendations on where to start?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Only because his aren't kits. You have to buy all the parts yourself. Plus the crossovers have to be assembled.
True enough, so the OP may not be interested. Figured I might as well throw it out there for another option/resource.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
True enough, so the OP may not be interested. Figured I might as well throw it out there for another option/resource.
They're certainly not bad options, but the MBOW/CAOW are difficult for a first build. However, some of the other projects that are just modifications to commercial designs could be fun. There's also this. Step by step instructions with pictures never hurts.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Hello all!
After reading many posts talking about DIY value, I have decided to give it a try.
My initial target is to build a pair of bookshelf speakers, a matching center, and a sub.
The room is a large room (6400 qft)and if all goes well I will eventually be adding another sub and surrounds.
I would like to start with only the bookshelves and the 1st sub.
I have no woodworking experience, and I have no specific tools just a jig saw, circular saw, and power drill.

I am looking for good quality sound as these will be mostly for music listening, so for reference lets set the following goal:
  • Bookshelves should compare closely to the Serria-2's or PhilHarmonitors
  • Sub should compare with the Rythmic FV15HP version (Or better)

Kit guidelines
  • Sound quality is goal number 1.
  • I would rather buy a crossover than build one myself (I can build it, I'd just rather not =)
  • Flatpacks would be nice, but not if the sound is compromised by going that route
  • These will be painted nicely when complete but not finished with wood, so building materials can be whatever will give the best SQ with no relation to look of the material
  • Price range for the completed speakers should be as follows:
    • 800$ or less for the finished bookshelves
    • 800$ or less for the finished sub

I'm looking for suggestions around the following areas:
  • What kits should I be looking at? There are alot of them and its hard to tell what is really good.
  • What tools should I invest in? Knowing that I would like to eventually build full size speakers for my home theater, and possibly some furniture.

Thanks for the advice all!

I find this a little bit puzzling. You want to get the sound of the Philharmonitors, you want a kit, and you want to keep the price down to $800. The Philharmonitors cost only $850 per pair already made, and there have been times when there have been deals on ones that were either returns or some other form of B stock. If you wait, you may well be able to just buy them ready-made for the price that you want. And you might even be able to get a deal on new ones if you are buying multiple speakers all at once, to get a complete surround system, though you would have to send them an email or call them to find out.

Your lack of woodworking experience and disinclination to build a crossover would fit well with just buying a pair that are ready-made. And you are not talking about a significant savings over ready-made anyway. And since you are also talking about buying additional tools, it might actually save you money to just buy the ones that are ready-made.

T

theblackangus

Enthusiast

I find this a little bit puzzling. You want to get the sound of the Philharmonitors, you want a kit, and you want to keep the price down to $800. The Philharmonitors cost only $850 per pair already made, and there have been times when there have been deals on ones that were either returns or some other form of B stock. If you wait, you may well be able to just buy them ready-made for the price that you want. And you might even be able to get a deal on new ones if you are buying multiple speakers all at once, to get a complete surround system, though you would have to send them an email or call them to find out.

Your lack of woodworking experience and disinclination to build a crossover would fit well with just buying a pair that are ready-made. And you are not talking about a significant savings over ready-made anyway. And since you are also talking about buying additional tools, it might actually save you money to just buy the ones that are ready-made.
I was hoping with DIY I would be able to save a bit more than a few dollars and get a fun learning experience. For instance if the N2X are going to give equal sound then I save a few hundred.
Yeah I do have to buy tools but they will eventually be purchased for other around the house projects anyway.

However to your point there does seem to be very little saved in the DIY bookshelf region at the lower price points.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
This is why I bought the Carnegie bookshelf speakers instead of building N1s. They're actually LESS than I could build them for myself if I have to buy cabinets. You only save if you have the tools and room to build the cabinet yourself.

R

richard38

Audiophyte
Why not making an amp yourself, offcourse after a lot of reading and looking at schematics and try to understand it, or are you a real noob at electronics and math?. There are a lot of great sounding units developed the Right way. Most starters aim to high, without even having an education at electronics, which ain't necessary, plenty of reading material online. But for 800 you can buy yourself a nice kit offcourse.
I have started with the development of the amp i'm going to use which very difficult cause i dont want a lot of power and i have besides a lot off explerience my pgd micro-elektronics, but i also never built the sub , it's hard to choose which setup to use , i must agree, but i'm glad that these kind of forums excist, there ain't the many gear /stores here in the netherlands or they they don't have the knowledge.... i like the once on the picture i have to agree, good luck.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
Table saw (or a straight edge and a circular saw **carefully) and a router (with circle guide) is all that you need to make speakers. The router is a tool that isn't used much unless cabinetry or trims are in your future. Keep this in mind for your budgeting.

I just say this because people can get carried away without realizing additional costs. Flat packs can be more economical.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis