New to Boating and Need Help

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I'm hoping some fellow Audioholics are boaters. I'm in the market for a small, entry-level bowrider type boat like a Bayliner or Galstron in the $10-$15k range. Anyone have suggestions on some new 16-19' boats like the two I mentioned in this price range? Also, I plan to use these in lakes and maybe the Charles River here in Boston.

Massachusetts does not require insurance on boats. Is it still worth purchasing? Also, I do plan to take a state-approved boating safety course.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm a complete newbie :eek:

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm hoping some fellow Audioholics are boaters. I'm in the market for a small, entry-level bowrider type boat like a Bayliner or Galstron in the $10-$15k range. Anyone have suggestions on some new 16-19' boats like the two I mentioned in this price range? Also, I plan to use these in lakes and maybe the Charles River here in Boston.

Massachusetts does not require insurance on boats. Is it still worth purchasing? Also, I do plan to take a state-approved boating safety course.

Bayliners are junk.

Boats loose value so fast, that I always advise used in preference to new. The fall is a good time to pick up a nice unit cheap.

Insurance is essential. I have seen more than one total loss after the first trip out with no insurance.

I really can't advise you further until I know the types of conditions and waters the boat will be used on.

Picking the right boat for the expected conditions, is really the most important part of buying a boat.

Boating takes experience and local knowledge of the waters. In no way do they drive like cars. All boats handle differently from one another.

You have to judge wind currents, and your crafts handling if you don't want an accident.

People get into lots of trouble with boats due to lack of insight, planning, forethought and experience. The death list from stupidity, ignorance and booze is significant in Minnesota every season.

So I need to know more about your waters and situation. A lot more.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
buy used...but not too used.

They are like TV's...buy one step bigger than you think is a good size.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
highfigh

highfigh

DO NOT buy an old Bayliner. They're crap. The post-'99 models are actually pretty nicely made and when I worked on boats, my biatch was the Bayliner Capri because of how bad they were. Those and Rinker are the ones I hate the most, although a lot of them have their own quality issues.

If someone has a Bayliner with what's called an "L-Drive", run like the wind. Run faster than you ever have, or can imagine. Parts are no longer available (most parts were unavailable over 10 years ago) and it's just an outboard motor with a stern-drive held on with duct tape.

DO NOT buy anything with the 3.0 Liter motor. They're under-powered and if it freezes, the block cracks more easily than most, which is a problem because so many have cracked that there aren't enough good cores to supply the remanufacture/rebuild market and that means the replacement is prohibitively expensive.

The 4.3L, 5.0L and 5.7L are basically the same as what you would find in most GM cars and trucks except that when it's a mid-late '90s/early 2000s Mercruiser, they had a huge problem with run-on. This wasn't an inherent GM issue, it was a Mercruiser problem. One thing that would often occur at the end of the run-on is the motor would actually turn in reverse, resulting in it ingesting water through the exhaust (the vacuum produced by the pistons in what amounts to the intake cycle). Water doesn't compress, so it won't crank when it has water in it and that means the starter will die an untimely death.

Volvo-Penta uses the same motors but they don't have the same problems. I live in Wisconsin and I hate that Mercruiser screwed the pooch so badly and for so long but I had to work on their stuff and it was no picnic.

How will you be using it- skiing, tubing, fishing, just cruising around and being sociable? If you want to ski and you'll pull older kids and larger adults, a jet boat isn't the best choice, even though they have the benefit of no prop to hit logs and rocks with. A larger skier will pull them off-line and it will be harder to get them out of the hole. The 3.0L is also a bad choice for skiing. The 4.3L and larger is fine and like cars, the smaller motor will use less fuel. On a 16'-19' boat, the 4.3L should be fine. The 5.7 isn't even offered by most manufacturers until you get to the 19'.

Large, bulbous hulls are very inefficient and hard to control at low speeds. Rinker and many of the Glastrons tend to wallow, even with a trim tab (if you look at a Mercruiser prop, it's the round, aluminum part just above the blades, usually with a plate that's about 4" diameter). If it has a trim tab and is hard to keep going in a straight line, it's going to be hard to control when docking or loading onto a trailer. This is important.

As far as insurance, so you really want to risk it? Most of the coverage is for liability, just like car insurance. Sure, some boats are damaged by idiots or storms but liability coverage isn't something I would avoid. It's not terribly expensive, either. IIRC, BoatUS is one place to look if your agent doesn't write this kind of coverage.

Look at the Regal 1900 LSR boats in this link and compare with the 176, 1799, 1800. The 1900 has a lot more room. The step hull (you can see this in the notch on the hull) makes a difference in fuel efficiency and power requirements. The 4.3L will do what many need a 5.0L or 5.7L to do, both in getting out of the hole and top speed. They handle well, too. Some, starting in late '99, were available with Volvo-Penta motor/outdrive and that's a good thing.

If you're able to do mechanical repairs, it's possible to get/work out a smokin' deal on something that hasn't been well maintained but still hasn't been rode hard and put away wet. If you really want to have the most peace of mind, get a marine survey, performed by a qualified person. If a dealer does this, they may even offer some kind of warranty.

One thing that will absolutely kill a boat motor is overheating. This is caused by foreign material getting onto the raw water pickup and by people who don't have the raw water impeller replaced when they should. It's not the cheapest repair, but it will avoid a catastrophic failure, or even a fire (IIRC, the flat-rate books indicate about 3 hours of labor- ask them to charge for actual time, not the flat rate).

If this is your first boat, TAKE A BOATER SAFETY COURSE. In some states, this can't be avoided and that's a good thing. Learn the Coast Guard regs and stay current- it will be safer and more fun.

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
I have always 'heard' Bayliners were junk. We had several Glastron boats growing up, all were nice. Always liked Searays, but never owned. Just sold my bass boat and got me my new Onkyo and Nikon D300s instead. Enjoy.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I'm basically going to use the boat on weekends for just cruising on lakes and maybe the Charles River and to sit out in the sun out in the water. Generally, no more than 6 people at a time like having a friend or two over for BBQ. Lakes are usually pretty calm water, not sure about the Charles, but I've seen everything from sail boats to large yachts out there.

I do plan to take a safety course so no worries there and I did ask for some insurance quotes. Considering the low cost, probably a good idea.

I did hear about Regal so I will give them a look. Any others I should be taking a look at? I'm guessing the next step up would put me at $15-$20k which is still okay as I don't mind financing a small portion and I don't need anything powerful.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm basically going to use the boat on weekends for just cruising on lakes and maybe the Charles River and to sit out in the sun out in the water. Generally, no more than 6 people at a time like having a friend or two over for BBQ. Lakes are usually pretty calm water, not sure about the Charles, but I've seen everything from sail boats to large yachts out there.

I do plan to take a safety course so no worries there and I did ask for some insurance quotes. Considering the low cost, probably a good idea.

I did hear about Regal so I will give them a look. Any others I should be taking a look at? I'm guessing the next step up would put me at $15-$20k which is still okay as I don't mind financing a small portion and I don't need anything powerful.
We have company coming over this evening, but I will give some good pointers about what to buy and why later.

Boats seem simple, but there are a lot of things working against them, so they tend to give a lot more trouble compared to cars per hour of use.

highfigh

highfigh

You won't find a Sea Ray with any drive system other than Mercruiser, so for me, that's a problem (although I'm not generally a big SeaRay fan). Mercruiser works pretty well but if you go out for a demo, which I strongly suggest, run it hard and shut it off to see if it will run on, as I mentioned. If the seller leaves it in gear, it's likely that it has that problem. If it does it a little, it hasn't been addressed. They had a tech bulletin for it and I'll see if I can find it, in the event that you want a boat with the Mercruiser from the years involved. None of the steps meant to cure this will make it run faster, better or get better fuel efficiency- they all make these worse.

I would stand your ground on the price range- there will be enough extras that, unless the boat comes with all of them, the amount can really add up. Coast Guard requires that you have one PFD per boater + one that's throwable (Personal Flotation Device, not to be confused with the Apple Portable Document Format, or pfd:D). It's also a good idea to have two anchors, fenders plenty of dock lines and a small tool kit. As far as ropes, I HATE THE CHEAP TWISTED NYLON GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Get woven lines. They're much better and won't tear up vinyl and gel coat. Or hands, for that matter.

On a demo, you should be instructed on how to manuever at low speeds and they should take you to a secluded area where you can get a feel for it. An outboard/stern drive is pretty easy to aim/jockey for position. A direct drive, like a MasterCraft tournament ski boat is another story. Much more difficult for beginners.

You won't find a used Cobalt in this price range unless it's a repo but those are nice boats. This brings up a good point- if you know any bankers, talk to them about boats that may have been returned. They usually have been neglected to some degree but it's possible to get a great deal if you're willing to do some cleanup and minor mechanical work.

A flat bottom means that you'll feel the waves more. Handling is different from a deep V, which is what a Regal hull is considered, along with many of the others like it. A deep V hull will cut through waves and the wake from other boats better.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just because you said you are a complete newbie - I'll have to say this : There are NO BREAKS on ANY water transport!
Easier said than done, it something one have to get used to.
My boating experience is very limited to Personal Watercraft (PWC - aka JetSki) safety training and about 20 hours on it (Yamaha Waverunner SUV1200)
From my very limited knowledge and experience - Boating is lots of fun, but it could be as dangerous as driving especially on busy lakes/rivers. Safety and knowledge is must.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I have owned few boats myself. The best one I did own was a 1969 Donzi. Like everybody says, be very carefull. My cousins son cut a platoon boat in half in the middle of the night in Greenwood Lake NY. No insurance. A young girl lost her hand and he has to pay $375.00 a week for the rest of her life. Boating can be a lot of fun but it is also no joke, a lot more dangerous than driving a car. Always keep your eyes on other boaters, you'd be surprised what can come at you on lake. As for buying a boat I would say used is the only way. On most boats you'll loose at least 50% in the first 2 years. Good luck with your new hobby.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

We have company coming over this evening, but I will give some good pointers about what to buy and why later.

Boats seem simple, but there are a lot of things working against them, so they tend to give a lot more trouble compared to cars per hour of use.
I now have some peace and quiet. After giving a boat tour of the lakes and cooking Coquille St, Jaques, Tuna Black and Blue and bananas flambe, I can give some thought to your problem.

I grew up on the water, the Thames and Medway estuaries and in the summer the North Sea off the Suffolk coast. My father had a boat yard and Marina for over 20 years on the Medway.

I have boated here since my children were small. Since moving to the lakes permanently I have done a lot of boating and fixed quite a few boats in the neighborhood.

First of all six adults is quite a load, so you will need an 18' boat at least and it will need to be quite broad in the beam. Pay attention to the load limits of any boat you purchase. Overloading is very dangerous.

I'm going to give an overwhelming recommendation for a four cycle outboard and a Yamaha as well.

I/O units are a bad deal. First of all there are two gear cases instead of one in an outboard. Next the upper gear case has to transmit a lot of power and steer on the upper gear case.

Next the engines are car engines or modified industrial engines that have the torque curve in the wrong place for marine application.

You are in a cold winter area, and winterizing I/O units is a pain and costly. An outboard only needs a water flush and the lower unit draining.

Boat engines are under constant high load. These conditions are not encountered in autos.

In boats gear cases give a lot more trouble than engines. Gear case trouble is very expensive. The single simpler gear case of an outboard is a huge advantage.

Access for maintenance and repair of newer I/O units is a nightmare. Out drives and even engines have to be pulled far too often.

For your application in lakes and the Charles river I would not consider an I/O unit for a second. If it was for coastal use I would recommend a full diesel inboard with standard propeller shaft.

New pollution regulations have ruined the two cycle outboard and they are now trouble prone and costly.

The four cycle outboards from Yamaha are particularly reliable. They are superbly engineered units, and many orders of magnitude better than their nearest competition. There is a reason that in this area they seem to outsell all others by about a 10/1 margin.

The next best four cycle outboard is the Mercury. The power head is by Suzuki. The Honda outboards now have a lot of grief with the variable valve timing and are heavier than the Yamaha.

If you are just going to cruise a unit in the 75 HP class will likely be enough.

If you want to do any water sports such as water skiing then you need something between 115 and 150 HP. The Yamaha in line four cylinder engines up to 150 HP just can't be beaten. Those engines are by far the most popular round here for a good reason.

I would look for a good used unit. A decent hull with a Yamaha four cycle outboard to carry six adults will be a bit above your price range.

If you buy new, break the engine at the spec rpm obsessionally. As you break it in keep abruptly pulling the throttle back to get a good seal on the piston rings. I carefully broke my Yamaha 150 in very carefully and I never have to add oil.

So I would look for a glass fiber hull with good sea friendly lines that can seat six adults in safety. I strongly recommend a Yamaha four cycle outboard of appropriate power for your needs.

I have strong relationships with the repair shops here. They hardly ever see Yamaha four cycles, but plenty of the rest. If they do they are very open well thought out and a pleasure to work on.

Q

Qfirefighter

Enthusiast
2004 Mastercraft 197 pro-star is the boat I have and love it. Have had no problems with it. ;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

2004 Mastercraft 197 pro-star is the boat I have and love it. Have had no problems with it. ;)
They are nice boats. A full inboard has a lot to recommend it, especially having one gear case, that can be made substantial. However round here the inability to raise the propeller in the shallows is a problem. Also if the stern gear gets fouled, it presents a bigger problem. Also you have the problem of protecting the engine for winter; much more work than for an outboard.

I still feel the OP will be best served by an outboard for lakes and rivers.

The other advantage is that outboards are much lighter then inboards, and this makes for easier and more reliable trailering.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Since you're new to boating you may not have heard this one:

The two happiest days of a boat owners life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Since you're new to boating you may not have heard this one:

The two happiest days of a boat owners life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat. :D
Yes, that is well known and very true. Boat ownership often turns into a hassle. You need to pick your craft and power very carefully. We have not even begun to talk trailer hassles.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Never underestimate the need for the right amount of power, always get more then enough.

Chapparals are pretty nice boats, and in this economy it shouldn't be tough to find a good deal on a used one instead of trying to find new... highfigh pointed out that Volvo-Pentas are the shiznit, but they have also had their run of issues (certain years) with outdrive corrosion amongst other issues. Mercruiser and their Bravo III's are doing very very well these days.

Never go without insurance, if your boat starts on fire or hits the rocks or an outdrive takes a huge log, or countless other goofy scenarios that can and will happen - you need to have protection for you your boat and most importantly the occupants you have hauling around.

Good luck on your hunt - and I will agree with and add

BAYLINERS ARE JUNK !!!!!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Never underestimate the need for the right amount of power, always get more then enough.

Chapparals are pretty nice boats, and in this economy it shouldn't be tough to find a good deal on a used one instead of trying to find new... highfigh pointed out that Volvo-Pentas are the shiznit, but they have also had their run of issues (certain years) with outdrive corrosion amongst other issues. Mercruiser and their Bravo III's are doing very very well these days.

Never go without insurance, if your boat starts on fire or hits the rocks or an outdrive takes a huge log, or countless other goofy scenarios that can and will happen - you need to have protection for you your boat and most importantly the occupants you have hauling around.

BAYLINERS ARE JUNK !!!!!
Having worked on a number of Penta's they have some significant problems. Propeller mounting, exhaust manifold problems and the cooling system plumbing which is a real pain.

Now the four cycle out board has reached the advanced state of development it now has, I see no reason for the complication of out drives on small boats, or even quite large ones now.

The outboards give less trouble, are lighter and much quieter in the boat now.

The Yamaha series of four cycle outboard units are by far the best and most reliable units to hit lakes country.

highfigh

highfigh

But, again, that's a flatter hull and won't ride as smooth on choppy water. Also, for a newb, low speed manuevers are a lot trickier than an OB or stern-drive.

Not even the fuel pump?

Hey- I know you! JimN here.

highfigh

highfigh

They are nice boats. A full inboard has a lot to recommend it, especially having one gear case, that can be made substantial. However round here the inability to raise the propeller in the shallows is a problem. Also if the stern gear gets fouled, it presents a bigger problem. Also you have the problem of protecting the engine for winter; much more work than for an outboard.

I still feel the OP will be best served by an outboard for lakes and rivers.

The other advantage is that outboards are much lighter then inboards, and this makes for easier and more reliable trailering.
I agree that a stern drive isn't as efficient and requires more maintenance. People neglect the oil seals, wind fishing line around the prop shaft and then wonder why they have water in the gear oil (happens with OB and stern drive), don't fill the gear oil reservoir, almost NEVER clean the flame arrestor, etc. The fact that the prop can be raised is a good thing and in certain conditions, trimming the boat makes life much easier for many, not for some (they don't understand how it affects planing and visibility).

The thing about OB motors- not as many boat manufacturers offer them on their best boat models. It's usually stern drive, or nothing and when it's a Mercruiser, it can be problematic, as I posted. I hate to say this, considering they're originally based in WI but they really have been forced to drop their quality by Brunswick.

Re Merc OB- I didn't know Suzuki was involved- is that because of the lawsuit against Yamaha, who got their 4 stroke OB motors to run well, back in the late '90s? Those were nice. Virtually the same as the regular Yamaha line and really easy to start. Very smooth.

highfigh

highfigh

BAYLINERS ARE JUNK !!!!!
But Bravo is only used on larger boats. You haven't lived until you have to hoist one of those pigs into position because the dealer doesn't have the right outdrive jack. Oh, boy. That's livin'! Nice drive but then you also have two props to ding, instead of just one. The corrosion issue was just that the anodes were too small, IIRC. That's easy enough to correct but hard to prove fault, in some cases.

I liked the fact that if someone wanted to go from single prop drive to the counter-rotating equivalent of the Bravo, it required removing only the lower gear case, install an adapter and lift the new gear case in place. For someone to go from the Alpha to Bravo, the whole thing needs to be removed, the transom re-cut, a new gimbal and transom mount installed and then a whole outdrive goes on. That would cost well over $10K.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis