New to audio, looking for guidance..

M

Matisyahu

Audiophyte
Hello all, a friend recommended I try there forums for some help regarding me setting up a new system. Over the past few months I have start to get more and more into setting up a high end audio setup.

My current gear includes a pair of beyerdynamic DT880 pro headphones, a little dot mkV headphone amp and some Fostex PM.04 studio monitors which run to into a cheap onkyo amp that I was given by a friend. I listen to most of my music through my headphones which run to my PC. I've been slowly working my way through my CD collection and ripping it all to lossless. I listen to mainly rap, rock, dubstep, reggae and electro.

I'm looking to spend around $2000-3000AUD on an amp, speakers and a DAC if it's necessary? I'm a little confused though on a few areas so far... Do I really need to get a DAC or would I be better off not getting one and spending the extra on better speakers/amp? I've been looking around for a few days and looking at the Cambridge Azur 640A V2 integrated amp and either the rega R3 floor standing speakers.

I'm open to any suggestions/comment that anyone might have, it's quite a daunting prospect setting up something like this.

joel :)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Hello all, a friend recommended I try there forums for some help regarding me setting up a new system. Over the past few months I have start to get more and more into setting up a high end audio setup.

My current gear includes a pair of beyerdynamic DT880 pro headphones, a little dot mkV headphone amp and some Fostex PM.04 studio monitors which run to into a cheap onkyo amp that I was given by a friend. I listen to most of my music through my headphones which run to my PC. I've been slowly working my way through my CD collection and ripping it all to lossless. I listen to mainly rap, rock, dubstep, reggae and electro.

I'm looking to spend around $2000-3000AUD on an amp, speakers and a DAC if it's necessary? I'm a little confused though on a few areas so far... Do I really need to get a DAC or would I be better off not getting one and spending the extra on better speakers/amp? I've been looking around for a few days and looking at the Cambridge Azur 640A V2 integrated amp and either the rega R3 floor standing speakers.

I'm open to any suggestions/comment that anyone might have, it's quite a daunting prospect setting up something like this.

joel :)

Always buy speakers first. Speakers make the sound. Then get a nice amp.

Speakers are the things that make your sound so they will determine your quality.

M

Matisyahu

Audiophyte
Thanks for the reply, I think I might head down to a local audio store and have a chat to them and listen to some speakers.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the reply, I think I might head down to a local audio store and have a chat to them and listen to some speakers.
Listen for discernable differences. Make sure to listen blind.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Also, Just a caution, don't forget the space the speakers are in. Each will sound different with the same speakers in them. So, what may sound acceptable to you in the store may sound different in your home.
If you can convince the store to demo as the other two suggestions, levels matched at least, you will be better informed, less chance of volume distorting the choices.
May want to read some of the articles at the home page here.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Welcome to the forum BTW.:) There's tons of information here that can get you pointed in the right direction.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis