new system way too bright

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
9f9c7z said:
I had a chance to do a side-by-side listening comparison between an Arcam pre/amp and an Anthem pre/amp thru some MLs. Night and day!!!
9f9c7z said:
In that case, the measurements of the preamps would show this huge difference. Can you give those huge, audible difference causing measurements? We are very curious, I am.

Perhaps there is someone here that can comment on a comparison of Rotel’s sound to that of Anthem’s…are they similar? If so, you may be a candidate for new Arcam gear, or similar.

Why should they sound different? Is that the design principle to desigh different sounding component?

By the way, how did you compare those preamps? Any controls for bias? ;)

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
mazurek said:
Thanks for the welcome.

Do you think using the "pure direct" mode on the amplifier will result in a more honest sound? Its really hard for me to say now because my benchmark analog signal is from a creative sound card, which is being compared against spdif coaxial into the amp.

I'm going to have a lot of fun trying things out in a couple of months, my future roomate is quite the audiophile. I'll finally have a proper place to setup my gear, and will be able to borrow his Arcam amp and try it out. Unfortunately, we went to his favorite dealer in Cinncinati (I live in Columbus), so while they would let me try things in my home, it is a pain.

I'm really glad people have been offering such reasonable (as in not nonsensical) advice. When I asked the store for help, they tried to sell me more expensive cables, which may have done something, but only would have obscured the real issue.
Maz,

Which store was trying to sell you this cable?

M

mazurek

Audioholic Intern
Audible Elegance in Cinncinatti was trying to sell me either AudioQuest or Straightwire cables.

I tell you, I really don't like any hifi store I've ever been in, either they're unknowledgable, or they try to sell me something I don't need, or they are actually good but super-elite

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis