New SVS subs PB-1000 Pros !

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I will add that after I got these all calabrated and I did find myself wanting to turn these down a little Iam not used to such clean and powerful output in the bass in all regions these cover in the program of choice but then after listening to various sources from lossless Apple Music to Blu-ray concerts to dvd audio disc’s to sacd’s I realized I was just hearing frequency’s that weren’t produced with this kind of authority and this clean with the old subs this is the difference that @Pogre talks about . I ended up actually turning these up 2.5 db from the calibration and it’s not to much .

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Congratulations mark. I subscribe to @Pogre ‘s thoughts of clean linear bass being transformative, and what it can do for the entire system. It’s very nice to see it come into play!
Congrats.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
It's so true. I wish there was a way to convey that to some of the guys who come on here with a 10" Klipsch subwoofer and wanna drop $2k on an amp upgrade. You get so much more from good, clean subwoofage. It's not about rattling the walls (unless you want to!) so much as it is clean, effortless bass. For all my subs my system is really pretty nicely balanced.

I think even music that doesn't necessarily play much below 30 - 40 hz benefits because there are still some harmonics that drop below that. I'd say it translates as more of a sense of spaciousness, weight and effortlessness. Once you experience it, there ain't no going back!
i agree and location is important of course but often we are limited in where we can put them. I have a couple pb1000s (older ones) in my bedroom turned up 3/4 way and I swear they are the best sounding subs in my house with the way they work in that room and they are the least expensive. Those are pros and I bet they can do it all even better. Congrats on a great purchase

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Congratulations mark. I subscribe to @Pogre ‘s thoughts of clean linear bass being transformative, and what it can do for the entire system. It’s very nice to see it come into play!
Congrats.
Thank you very much you are correct in that thought ! I always thought I had the complete system but to me it always kind of just missed something in the mid bass and the lowest end there was lows you could hear but they just fell flat no punch no depth No definition. This is night and day and they mix so well with my jbl’s it’s like a different sound system . I’ll be playing with these for several days to come .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
i agree and location is important of course but often we are limited in where we can put them. I have a couple pb1000s (older ones) in my bedroom turned up 3/4 way and I swear they are the best sounding subs in my house with the way they work in that room and they are the least expensive. Those are pros and I bet they can do it all even better. Congrats on a great purchase
I was not sure on what volume to start with these on calibration the manual states -10 I was skeptical on that but after I run it they dam near zero’d out on level. I set the Yamaha up for stereo subs which I normally don’t do but I did this time and for some reason these calabrated almost identical in levels , it did set the distance back a foot farther than the older subs but I understand that’s normal Iam leaving every level where it’s at I could not get these levels any closer with a spl meter . For there price point these are fantastic subs .

Attachments

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
It's so true. I wish there was a way to convey that to some of the guys who come on here with a 10" Klipsch subwoofer and wanna drop $2k on an amp upgrade. You get so much more from good, clean subwoofage. It's not about rattling the walls (unless you want to!) so much as it is clean, effortless bass. For all my subs my system is really pretty nicely balanced.

I think even music that doesn't necessarily play much below 30 - 40 hz benefits because there are still some harmonics that drop below that. I'd say it translates as more of a sense of spaciousness, weight and effortlessness. Once you experience it, there ain't no going back!
That's a good description of the benefits. It really travels through the house, though. I have an open hallway off of the recroom and it's surprising to find those standing waves in certain spots like in my work shop two rooms over. :) The overall experience in the recroom is so much improved.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I will add that after I got these all calabrated and I did find myself wanting to turn these down a little Iam not used to such clean and powerful output in the bass in all regions these cover in the program of choice but then after listening to various sources from lossless Apple Music to Blu-ray concerts to dvd audio disc’s to sacd’s I realized I was just hearing frequency’s that weren’t produced with this kind of authority and this clean with the old subs this is the difference that @Pogre talks about . I ended up actually turning these up 2.5 db from the calibration and it’s not to much .
I also ended up turning mine down after calibration. I like that feature of the app as I can easily turn it up when needed. Still have to do a proper calibration when I get REW figured out.

Last edited:
Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I also ended up turning my down after calibration. I like that feature of the app as I can easily turn it up when needed. Still have to do a proper calibration when I get REW figured out.
I an thinking of trying REW I’ve never measured this system as a whole Iam intrigued to find out how it all measures. Well I always had some problems with Yapo I’d run it 2-3 times and still have to tweak the levels. After running it with these new subs I got the best results I’ve ever gotten with this system. I guess these just filled in the holes in the frequency response and cleaned it all up . I usually just use through on the peq settings but Iam really digging the flat peq setting on it now so much more full bodied and all around even response . HRd to believe these can make this kind of difference .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis