M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
Thinking about dumping my axiom qs8 for the svs ultra surrounds?
set up is svs ultra bookshelves for fronts amd svs ultra center w svs pb12 plus.
room is a good size great room 16x24 vaulted ceiling. Didn’t know if the upgrade from axiom to svs surround worth the money

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I prefer monopole speakers for my surrounds vs dipole/bipole (which are the QS8?). You'd also have a better matched set of speakers, which may not mean much, but perhaps an advantage with multich music. Are you having any particular issues or just upgraditis?

ps NM, was thinking SVS Ultra bookshelf style speakers like you have up front vs their "surround" speakers....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It's been brought up that the bi/di-pole type speakers are better for nearfield placement as they help breakup the soundfield if too close to the LP.
Your room is large enough that going with a monopole would be ideal.

SVS intentionally voices their speakers cross-class so that the Primes and Ultras can be mix-and-matched.

Regardless, the Ultra Books and Surrounds are the same price...

Is this a wall mount scenario vs standmount?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think you can do much better by getting mono-pole speakers, aimed at your LP, and either wall or stand mounted.

Obviously, if wall mounting, you would need to have some hardware if the Speaker is a little different as in using a Book instead of one of those "surround/FX" style dealios.

I think you can realize a significant SQ improvement if you upgrade appropriately.

Just my 2¢ on that topic. :)

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
Thinking about dumping my axiom qs8 for the svs ultra surrounds?
set up is svs ultra bookshelves for fronts amd svs ultra center w svs pb12 plus.
room is a good size great room 16x24 vaulted ceiling. Didn’t know if the upgrade from axiom to svs surround worth the money
I would go with he same one as your front speakers, SVS ultra bookshelves

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
thanks for the replies! I’m not sure If the ultra bookshelves can be wall mounted but I’ll look at options for wall mount vs stands

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They can be wall mounted....but some would need threaded inserts on the speaker, which from what I see don't come stock with the SVS bookshelf. There are clamp style mounts or you can (gasp) drill into the cabinets yourself for installing your own threaded inserts etc.

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
I actually have a set of svs prime bookshelves I can always try those if I can find some wall month. But I won’t be drilling into the speakers myself

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
Thanks I just ordered the mounts! Got the B tech b77
The brackets on the sides can be adjusted tp fit the width of your speaker, Use some cloth between the speaker and the bracket to prevent scratches when you tighten them. You can also use double sides tape (alien tape) to grip the bottom of the speaker to the bracket it sits on. They are very secure and the instructions are very clear. Use anchors when you secure the brackets to the wall if you don't have a stud at that location. With direct radiators you mount surrounds a little behind or in front of your MLP at about 110 degrees, tweeters the same height as your front L-R speakers:
This video is a tutorial:

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
In a 5-ch bed layer, Surrounds should be 110-120º.
1660274600081.png

In a 7-ch bed layer, Surounds are 90-110º and Rears are 135-150º.
1660274631663.png

Height of Speakers depends on how many people might be in the "row." If you have seats with high back that can block the sound or have people surrounding you who can block the sound, it is customary to elevate the surrounds a little above head level (when seated) and aim them toward the MLP. This helps get unobstructed sound to more seats.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I actually have a set of svs prime bookshelves I can always try those if I can find some wall month. But I won’t be drilling into the speakers myself
I would try these first since they’re supposed to be voice matched. It’s a free test essentially. Although the reports are that the prime tweeter can be grating. Would be less noticeable in an HT environment probably.
If you really need to scratch the itch though, I would definitely use the ultra BS instead of the ultra surround. While it can be set up to be side AND rear surround, imo that’s just a sales pitch, and wouldn’t be effective. My room is similar in size and monopoles have worked well for me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I would try these first since they’re supposed to be voice matched. It’s a free test essentially. Although the reports are that the prime tweeter can be grating. Would be less noticeable in an HT environment probably.
If you really need to scratch the itch though, I would definitely use the ultra BS instead of the ultra surround. While it can be set up to be side AND rear surround, imo that’s just a sales pitch, and wouldn’t be effective. My room is similar in size and monopoles have worked well for me.
LOL each time I see that abbreviation "ultra bs" I crack up. Not sure everyone gets bs is bookshelf....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
LOL each time I see that abbreviation "ultra bs" I crack up. Not sure everyone gets bs is bookshelf....
Lmao… I often wonder that too. It’s something that stuck with me when @Pogre was talking about his upgrade path from BS to tower. It’s funny because I don’t even think about it anymore. Kinda like when we talk about lpf of LFE, of HP and LP filters and knees, and MV and all that shitt. My bad I guess…
The way they market the ultra surround IS some ultra BS!!!

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
In a 5-ch bed layer, Surrounds should be 110-120º.
View attachment 57251
In a 7-ch bed layer, Surounds are 90-110º and Rears are 135-150º.
View attachment 57252

Height of Speakers depends on how many people might be in the "row." If you have seats with high back that can block the sound or have people surrounding you who can block the sound, it is customary to elevate the surrounds a little above head level (when seated) and aim them toward the MLP. This helps get unobstructed sound to more seats.
Thanks for this, I think the current placement of the surrounds are a little too high. I’d like to bring them down a little more but the current wires that run run through the wall aren’t long enough. I’m trying to find a way to lenghten the wire?

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
Thanks for this, I think the current placement of the surrounds are a little too high. I’d like to bring them down a little more but the current wires that run run through the wall aren’t long enough. I’m trying to find a way to lenghten the wire?
You can run your in wall wire to a switch box near the back where your speaker wire ends like this, then run another set of wires from the switch box to your speakers. You can mount the switch box right on the wall with alien tape or just a screw:

M

moreira85

Audioholic Chief
My speakers are higher on the wall than I’d like. I’d like to lower them but my in wall wire isn’t long enough. I currently have a wall plate like you showed me on that picture. But if I move the wall plate down the wall 3 feet from where they are the in wall wire won’t reach.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis