New sub purchase time...with caveats

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
So, I recently sold my SVS PB10-ISD due to size contraints of my new living space and I now need to replace it. Having been a member here for a while, I've done my duty and researched and researched to narrow it down to 2 subs that will give me solid output, BUT, at the same time, be very, very small which is an absolute must. The considerations were the Velodyne SPL800II, Sunfire True Sub Super Junior, Rocket ULW/UFW-10 and Def Tech Supercube II.

I've narrowed it down to the Velodyne SPL800 series II (not the new "r" version as the series II is discounted now) and the Onix Rocket UFW-10. I'm about 70% music/30% movies.

Both can be had for $599, and yes, price was a big factor in eliminating the other contenders. Both seem to do very well in reviews: everyone here (hopefully) has seen the reviews AH has done (the covered the SPL1200II, not the 800) but secrets had this to say about each:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_2/onix-ufw-10-subwoofer-5-2004.html
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_1/velodyne-spl-800-1000-1200-subwoofers-2-2004.html
On paper, the Rocket edges out the Velo, but just barely. But really, I'm in an apartment and probably will be for some time, so the levels at which the sub would operate would probably make this fact moot anyway. The cliff's notes version of this is that I just want a solid performing, small-ish sub that will work for me now, at admittedly lower levels, as well as perform adequately when I move into a new home/larger room some day...at which time, I'll want to upgrade for sure. :D

With all that in mind, it seems to be more about preference as it seems these 2 subs are fairly equally matched, at least from what I can tell. So, would folks go with the Velo here, or the Rocket?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Ulw-10

Did you see the audioholics deal for the Rocket ULW-10 for $400? It offers comparable performance to the UFW-10 and will save you a few bucks.

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, I did see that. It's a good deal. Unfortunately, it's only for the White Shadow Maple finish, which isn't going to work. I'd need the black for that sub to work. Too bad...it's a great deal.

J

johsti

Audioholic
The partsexpress titanic kits are small sealed boxes, and get good reviews. They're black and less expensive than the Rocket and Velo.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm in an apartment :) You just have to be reasonable about it.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
j_garcia said:
I'm in an apartment :) You just have to be reasonable about it.
Bass isnt reasonable,it just goes where it wants and in an apt,you just cant take advanage of a sub.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've had the PB-10 for almost a year, before that I had the VTF-2, and now I have what amounts to a 16-46CS. I haven't had any complaints because I don't turn it up so loud that people want to kill me, nor do I have it on much after 10:00 (unless it's a Fri or Sat.) Basically, if you wouldn't want your neighbors to do it to you, don't subject them to it; it's that simple. Maybe YOU couldn't take advantage of a sub, but I don't have the same problem. It also depends on whether or not your neighbors are jerks; mine aren't.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
j_garcia said:
I've had the PB-10 for almost a year, before that I had the VTF-2, and now I have what amounts to a 16-46CS. I haven't had any complaints because I don't turn it up so loud that people want to kill me, nor do I have it on much after 10:00 (unless it's a Fri or Sat.) Basically, if you wouldn't want your neighbors to do it to you, don't subject them to it; it's that simple. Maybe YOU couldn't take advantage of a sub, but I don't have the same problem. It also depends on whether or not your neighbors are jerks; mine aren't.
We'll see after tonight. I intend to turn it up to reference while you're in the bathroom:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's ear bleeding levels. Depending on the material, I can't really listen at more than -10. At "0" we may have structural issues...:eek:

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
The opinions on for/against sub use in an apartment are well and good...but they don't address the original solicitation for opinions on these two subs, one vs. the other. :p I'm not the forum police, but I would like atleast a person or two to speak to the original reason for this thread. C'mon guys (and gals), I know somebody's got to have an opinion about these subs. Right? No? Bueller....bueller....bueller?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Def Tech Supercube II - even though you've ruled it out. I was extremely impressed with it, and I hate Def Tech towers!

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Really? Well, given that it's got an msrp of $799, it's a full $200 over what the other 2 cost...that's why it had been ruled out. I'm a little light on the cabbage with Christmas right around the corner. And, I never see these pop up used anywhere, which is probably pretty telling about this unit.

edit: My mistake. It's actually $899. Ouch.

Last edited:
Wid

Wid

Audioholic
If you are looking for a small sub have you considered the Hsu Stf-1 ? I know it was not on your list but by all accounts it is a wonderful performer for an 8" sub. It could also save you some $$$ compared to the ones already listed.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Wid said:
If you are looking for a small sub have you considered the Hsu Stf-1 ? I know it was not on your list but by all accounts it is a wonderful performer for an 8" sub. It could also save you some $$$ compared to the ones already listed.
I think he's looking for a very small footprint. The Supercube II is ~12x12x12. The STF-1 is 19x11x16 - big difference. The SVS 25-31 PCi is 16x32.5 - still a larger footprint. I didn't care for any of the Sunfire products. Massive excursion, but couldn't hit those low frequencies.

Wid

Wid

Audioholic
I see that he is looking for a very small footprint. Also listed in his choices were the Rocket UFW 10 which has a footprint of 169 square inches. The Stf 1 has a footprint just up from that of 176 square inches. Just thought it could do the trick while saving some cash to boot.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Wid said:
I see that he is looking for a very small footprint. Also listed in his choices were the Rocket UFW 10 which has a footprint of 169 square inches. The Stf 1 has a footprint just up from that of 176 square inches. Just thought it could do the trick while saving some cash to boot.
The UFW 10 is ~ 13x13x13. It's too bad you have to pay a premium for a small footprint. Imagine two STF-1's in that room for approximately the same price! The STF-1 is nice for width, but a little deep and tall. If he needs those extra inches, it may not work. After all, his PB10 was 15x19x21 - really not a huge sub, but large enough he needs to downsize.

Very good recommendation BTW. If he has the room, that may be the sub to get on a budget. ;)

corysmith01

corysmith01

Senior Audioholic
Well, if anyone's still interested, I went ahead and bought the Velodyne SPL800II. It was waiting for me when I got back from time away for Christmas. I haven't had time to do any serious listening to it, but I must say that right of the box, this sub is blowing my mind. Why? Because I just can't figure out how they got that much low end out of such a small box. This thing is tiny. I can honestly say that I don't feel as though I'm missing anything from my SVS. I really liked the SVS, and sure, probably at higher volumes, the SVS would perform better. And I know the PB10 can dig down a deeper than the Velo, but man, this thing is a hot little package. The fit and finish is top notch. The sound seems to be very, very tight. I've noticed, or at least I perceive, a bit more "snappy-ness" to kick drums now. Could be placement. Could be volume. But whatever it is, the bass from this little box is snappy. All the reviews I read were dead on; this thing is a solid performer. Spending what I did, I could have had the likes of a PB12 for the same price ($599) and I know that would probably blow the little velo out of the water, but it's all about tradeoffs. I needed something small. As it stands, I'm very happy with its output, and the little lady is very, very happy with the new, downsized subwoofer. All is harmonious in the household...hopefully it will stay that way when we move into our new, smaller digs. :D

I've attached pics if ya'll wanna see it.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis