New sub build. A few questions.

jinjuku

jinjuku

That's what prompted the question. I would use winISD to model right? Any directions you could point me to? Last time I used winISD I didn't do something right, or I just didn't have all the information.
Well, want do you want it to do? What target are you trying to hit?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well, want do you want it to do? What target are you trying to hit?
Well, I'd like to extend the low range as much as possible while keeping the box as small as possible. I've played around with winISD and got some seemingly decent results. I'll have to post what I got when I get time so you more knowledgeable guys can take a look.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Well, I'd like to extend the low range as much as possible while keeping the box as small as possible. I've played around with winISD and got some seemingly decent results. I'll have to post what I got when I get time so you more knowledgeable guys can take a look.
Devil is in the details: What is small as and low as possible? I've built subs the size of dishwashers and the person thought they were small enough.

I've build subs the size of a milk crate and the person thought there were too big.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Devil is in the details: What is small as and low as possible? I've built subs the size of dishwashers and the person thought they were small enough.

I've build subs the size of a milk crate and the person thought there were too big.
True enough. :D

Small would be around 18"x18"x18" or lower. My sealed sub does a good job, but I'm just wondering if I can get more on the bottom (according to what winISD is showing me). I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly, so let me know.

The first is what I currently have with the sealed box.

The second is what I've modeled for the vented enclosure.

jinjuku

jinjuku

True enough. :D

Small would be around 18"x18"x18" or lower. My sealed sub does a good job, but I'm just wondering if I can get more on the bottom (according to what winISD is showing me). I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly, so let me know.

The first is what I currently have with the sealed box.

The second is what I've modeled for the vented enclosure.
At those dimensions you are going to be tuning the vent quite high. No where near 20Hz.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Measured today using the room EQ wizard and my spl meter and got OK results. Not the best, but with the equipment involved, I can't complain. Keep in mind I'm only running one of my 2 subs with only 100w going through it. I only did a measurement up to 120hz where my crossover is set.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Second sub is finished. I measured again using my Radioshack digital SPL meter at the center of my front row. Using REW with the calibration file I found at hometheatershack I got the following results. This is with the subs wired to 8 ohms running 100w through each. I'm going to get my XLS1500 next friday or around there so results with that should be better. I don't think my results are totally accurate but I couldn't be happier with this build.

View attachment 11083

jinjuku

jinjuku

Looks like the Crown will give more than enough headroom to smooth out the response via EQ. Glad you are happy with the build.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the help along the way. After I grab the amp I plan to get a miniDSP for PEQ and one of their mic's to get proper measurements. That should make things nice and smooth.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis