N

nnazus

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hi:

I have a Yahama Receiver which I bought about 6 to 8 months ago. I want to replace my old 6 speaker set which came with my old Sony Pro Logic Receiver which I bought about 4 to 5 years ago.

The room is small, and the budget is tight, so I'd like to keep my options below a $750.00 price tag.  I'm looking at the Acoustimass 6 Series III which is selling for $699.00 and the Boston Acoustics System 8000 which is selling for $499.00.  Does anyone have an opinion?</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>booze, not booze! &nbsp;I am not a prohibitionist!!</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>for some reason,the website is converting &quot;booze&quot; into &quot;booze&quot;!!</font>

<font color='#000000'>That was a record 4 posts! cantonlust, you current hold the all time record of 4 posts before realizing that this forum does a funny conversion on that particular manufacturer's name...

hehe  

nnazus: take the cover off of that manufacturer's speaker and you will notice that they want to provide you with surround sound using only 4 (tiny) paper cones and a very small paper cone subwoofer. I wouldn't recommend this as it is physically imposible for those speakers to reproduce many of the frequencies present in the source audio signal, let alone reproduce them well.

For your budget there are a ton of options, but you may want to check out Axiom Audio's Epic Micro System. Mention Audioholics and you'll get a discount. There's a 30 day money back on those systems so you can try them for free...

Don't just buy on our recommendation, though. Take a listen yourself to as many systems as you can in your price range. If possible, however, try to get a system that at least has a fighting chance of reproducing the sound found on the DVDs you'll be watching.

Lots of people like the booze sound, and that's OK - but after they compare with other systems, they may find out that they are really missing out on a lot of the source material.

Enjoy your search - this is a fun time!

[Edit: spelling &nbsp;
]</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>Other widely available, inexpensive speakers that will blow Acousti-Ass away (listed from best to worst IMHO, but keep in mind that even the worst is better than the Acousti-Ass): Paradigm, Polk, PSB, Klipsch, Boston, Infinity. All of these feature real subwoofers, woofers, and tweeters. All sound better than the you-know-what.

For instance, you can get a very decent five-speaker plus sub setup from PSB for under $700.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>If you haven't bought one yet, try auditioning either a Canton or Yamaha speaker systems.</font>

B

BigDaddyD

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>You might also want to check out Cambridge Soundworks (hifi.com). Since they have a 30 day return guarantee they generally wind up selling a lot of perfectly good &quot;returned&quot; merchandise on Ebay at drastically lower prices. Since you're buying direct from Cambridge, even from Ebay, you get the same warranty and gurantee (I just recently had to return something I changed my mind on - no problem).

Just something to think about!</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
BigDaddyD : <font color='#000000'>You might also want to check out Cambridge Soundworks (hifi.com). Since they have a 30 day return guarantee they generally wind up selling a lot of perfectly good &quot;returned&quot; merchandise on Ebay at drastically lower prices. Since you're buying direct from Cambridge, even from Ebay, you get the same warranty and gurantee (I just recently had to return something I changed my mind on - no problem).

Just something to think about!</font>
<font color='#000000'>Are the Cambridge speakers considered to be Cube speakers?</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I've been looking at Pinnacle Aerogels.  I have found little written about them, but what there was was excellent.  I thought perhaps some of you might own these and could give your opinion.  Thanks</font>

B

BigDaddyD

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are the Cambridge speakers considered to be Cube speakers?</td></tr></table>
Well, they make all kinds. Go to Hifi.com and check out there products. If you see something you think you might like go see if its listed at Ebay for sale by hifi.com. Remember, you get 30 days to try them out to see if you like 'em.

(Usual disclaimer - no financial interest in hifi.com or Cambridge Soundworks.)</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis