New Speakers Best bang under $500?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Interesting...would like to know this as well actually, if it is possible to "Improve" upon an already good speaker, and by bracing, what exactly does that mean and how would one go about doing it? Does it really make a difference?
They are not bad speakers.
Listen to the speaker first - do not worry about any mods right now.

Moutee

Moutee

Junior Audioholic
By bracing, I meant wood placed laterally in the speaker to reduce panel resonance as shown in the pictures that I posted above. Most of us know where the pictures came from, but said person isn't available to answer my question, so I turn to all of you in the event that OP catches the bug (or anyone else) and wants to modify his Primus 362's.

Controlling vibrations of loudspeaker components beyond the drivers is essential in maintaining musical fidelity in sound reproduction due to the relation between vibration and sound pressure. Panel bracing can be an effective means of minimizing unwanted vibrations in a loudspeaker cabinet, but understanding the underlying mechanics defining the system behavior can make a given bracing scheme more of less effective.
The design goal of any high fidelity loudspeaker should be to have an enclosure that is as stiff as possible to house the drivers and minimize sound colorations from unwanted panel resonances.
From Loudspeaker Cabinet Bracing: Conclusion & References

B

blazerboy

Junior Audioholic
I am really bad with wood work so nah im not gna mess with em however. My v667 allows a preamp and im assuming I can crank out more with one as well? Any reccomendations?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am really bad with wood work so nah im not gna mess with em however. My v667 allows a preamp and im assuming I can crank out more with one as well? Any reccomendations?
I doubt if you need an external amp to power the P362.

For budget systems, I think keeping it nice and simple is best.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, start with the receiver and speakers for now - it will play
louder than your Sony system.

B

blazerboy

Junior Audioholic
I dont want to get the upgrade bug later so.i.returned the 667 and got the 871.its sweet :)

B

blazerboy

Junior Audioholic
Im thinking the infinity c350s? I think its c? Not sure...but its supposed to be in the same lineup as the primus'

B

blazerboy

Junior Audioholic
I will take a look at the different options for center, im assuming I dont have to get the same lineup for it to sound good, maybe there is something better...but in no huge rush to get a center at the moment. I need to get my system set up first and then Ill fool with the good ole center...plus buying the 871 put me quite a bit over budget, when I started this thread wasnt expecting to buy a new receiver. Now I spent an additional 600 on a receiver so its set me back for a little bit.

B

blazerboy

Junior Audioholic
P352's are sold out no on crutchfield, as they are the older model I am going to take a wild guess and say they wont be restocking them. Should I snag the c350 center while they have it? OR should i get the 250? OR should I wait to see what other centers may blend better? The center as I understand is to deliver the high clarity voice in HT environment...my sonys really were god awful in that aspect...I cannot explain how many times I would sit down to eat with my father turn the system on play the movie and him and I both cant hear a darn thing anyone is saying. Maybe I wont cheap out and maybe I can find a good center for around 400 that would serve its purpose better than the 350? Thoughts? Ideas?

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
P352's are sold out no on crutchfield, as they are the older model I am going to take a wild guess and say they wont be restocking them. Should I snag the c350 center while they have it? OR should i get the 250? OR should I wait to see what other centers may blend better? The center as I understand is to deliver the high clarity voice in HT environment...my sonys really were god awful in that aspect...I cannot explain how many times I would sit down to eat with my father turn the system on play the movie and him and I both cant hear a darn thing anyone is saying. Maybe I wont cheap out and maybe I can find a good center for around 400 that would serve its purpose better than the 350? Thoughts? Ideas?
If it were me, I would get the best center you can that match your speakers. So the c350.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
C250 is better match for front bookshelfs aka p1xx while C350 would be best with primus towers p2xx and p3xx

B

blazerboy

Junior Audioholic
I have the 352s on their way, so the 350 probably would be the best bet. Does it HAVE to match? Or like I said can it be some say, 1500 dollar center that is a stellar audiophile one? Because I want to make sure every word, every whisper is heard completely...without question. OR why watch the movie. I want the clarity of the voice to be pristine...so pristine you can hear it from the next room over. Not just some muffled bulls*t like these sonys are.

As far as the 352s I havent even heard them, crutchfield had them on sale and on low stock so I pretty much picked the last ones up (or a few of the last ones)...cuz it was a steal of a deal. Also going to buy an itouch to use as a remote control for my new yamaha v871. :D I like that, thats why I bought the yamaha...for that exact feature of the remote application / the pre out capabilities / the higher wattage / all the ins and outs.

I am hoping my return of the 667 was worth it for the v871, if anyone could comment. I added about 10 watts per channel, among other things. And the web connectivity etc I figure was worth the 150 extra I spent?

B

blazerboy

Junior Audioholic
Got the 871 today, works great, I like it, the sound is clearer than my Sony at high volumes, and im positive thats not just my imagination I ran them both in comparison and the quality itself is better at higher volumes, at lower they are the same in sound quality. The 362's will be here monday Ill update when I get them.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Got the 871 today, works great, I like it, the sound is clearer than my Sony at high volumes, and im positive thats not just my imagination I ran them both in comparison and the quality itself is better at higher volumes, at lower they are the same in sound quality.
The Yamaha has more power, and has decent build quality.
Wait till you hook up the 362 speakers - it should be a ear
opener, compared to your old system.:)

C

collegeaudio

Audioholic
Buy the 350 center. I have 362's, 152's ($100/pr on sale) and the 350 for 5.1 and it is an incredible setup on a tight budget. You will not be dissapointed with that center.

Nice job using the coupon twice. I read this whole thread waiting to remind you to do that but you beat me to it. When I ordered mine, I tried to stack it with a referral code but it didn't work. Oh well.

You will love your new system.

B

blazerboy

Junior Audioholic
I went and binged and bought an itouch for 350 as well so I am going to probably pick up the center and hold off on any purchases for later. However, my question remains...What about buying a rather pricey center, maybe say a $1500 one, would it work with the system or would it be completely off? As it is a HT/Music system...its not meant to blow walls down, but an awesome center to hear clean clear and crisp dialogue would be heaven for me. I dont want muffled BS where you can barely hear the dialogue like the $80 sony did, and too bad i waited a tiny bit over 2 1/2 weeks or else i could have returned it.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
^^^
For surround music and HT, I like for the center to blend with the main
speakers. The Infinity 350 is a good option to start with, and can save
you some money - and is in another league over your Sony center. And,
there are no guarantees with a $1500 center, and you can end up with
one big annoying distraction.

B

blazerboy

Junior Audioholic
Sounds good will do :D. Man this receiver is awesome, its got way more power and clarity than that crap Sony one, the tons of inputs, the GUI the networking features is such a nice touch. I may buy a wireless kit and get some speakers outside as a "Zone 2" and its sweet cuz I can easily control every aspect of the receiver thru my iTouch or Android phone, pandora streaming...PC music streaming...this is all coming in handy by a huge margin. Granted others may not need these things but to me these features were worth the price premium paid...the simple JBL bookshelves I have fill my entire house with loud clear music @ only half volume and pushing them harder they only sing louder...almost to an ear splitting level lol.

B

blazerboy

Junior Audioholic
Just a small update but have decided to buy a new sub probably will be picking up the SVS PB12-NSD when I get a tiny bit more cash together. There is also someone in my area selling a PSB SubSeries 300 for roughly $400, might take a look at that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis