William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Ok guys. Curiosity has struck. My wife and I have been having discussions about replacing my ol monkey coffins. JBL s-312II
Image not mine.

In MY mind, I will buy some beautiful new towers in white, or some nice rosewood or bamboo or whatever I will accept performance wise, while fitting both of our design ideas. In her mind, they’ll be in walls. Some of you probably know me well enough that I won’t accept BS speakers, and IW has NOT been an option, although I have looked around before.
So, I found these KEF’s(above) and wondering if anybody here has any experience with them. The new installed distance would place them at 16ish feet listening distance. That makes me a little nervous since I do like to wind er up once in awhile. Current distance is 14’. I think the four 6.5” woofers and 6.5” mid will be more capable dynamically speaking but I HATE distortion and while I’m sure these would up to the task, I just am not sure.
So, how about a reality check!!!!!

BTW, my 312’s have a 12” woofer and are pretty effortless. The titanium tweeter is actually well composed until you really push hard, but for the most part my MV gets to somewhere between about -20 and -10, and rarely-5.
Thanks!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have heard the KEF THX in-walls. I thought they sounded very good for in-walls. The THX certification should guarantee a good amount of dynamic range up to a certain point. They probably don't have as much dynamic range as these Klipsch THX in-walls, however. But both these in-walls, and many more besides, assume you will be using a subwoofer, so they won't be pumping out deep bass. I think either of those in-walls can match the dynamic range of your JBLs, except in deep bass.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

Ok guys. Curiosity has struck. My wife and I have been having discussions about replacing my ol monkey coffins. JBL s-312II
Image not mine.

In MY mind, I will buy some beautiful new towers in white, or some nice rosewood or bamboo or whatever I will accept performance wise, while fitting both of our design ideas. In her mind, they’ll be in walls. Some of you probably know me well enough that I won’t accept BS speakers, and IW has NOT been an option, although I have looked around before.
So, I found these KEF’s(above) and wondering if anybody here has any experience with them. The new installed distance would place them at 16ish feet listening distance. That makes me a little nervous since I do like to wind er up once in awhile. Current distance is 14’. I think the four 6.5” woofers and 6.5” mid will be more capable dynamically speaking but I HATE distortion and while I’m sure these would up to the task, I just am not sure.
So, how about a reality check!!!!!

BTW, my 312’s have a 12” woofer and are pretty effortless. The titanium tweeter is actually well composed until you really push hard, but for the most part my MV gets to somewhere between about -20 and -10, and rarely-5.
Thanks!
What happened to all the plants? LOL :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have heard the KEF THX in-walls. I thought they sounded very good for in-walls. The THX certification should guarantee a good amount of dynamic range up to a certain point. They probably don't have as much dynamic range as these Klipsch THX in-walls, however. But both these in-walls, and many more besides, assume you will be using a subwoofer, so they won't be pumping out deep bass. I think either of those in-walls can match the dynamic range of your JBLs, except in deep bass.
Thanks. I was kinda taking the THX certification as a measure of performance. I know they have put their name on all kinds of stuff that seems ridiculous. But in this case, and some receivers, and the monolith for instance, I believe it matters.
Yeah, the 312’s go into the mid/low 30’s. I used to cross them at 50 and then 60 for a long time and have used 80 now for a few years. One of the things I like about them is they are just effortless and I never get fatigue from them despite the titanium tweeters(which I understand Mr. Timbers sourced from a French speaker company).
I know they’re not be all end all, but everything I’ve looked at seemed a lateral move unless I really spend some money. I do have a list of usual contenders, but these popped up, and looked compelling. Again, I’m not a lover of in walls, and I have informed my wife IF and I do mean IF, I entertain the IW thing, it’s gonna cost her a bunch of money.
And NOW, thanks to you I will look at the Klipsch just for fun. Looked at ML and paradigm IW’s too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ultra towers in white!

/thread over :p

Lol, I don't think they even make them in white. Not home right now, but I'll take a look at those KEFs you posted up there when I get home. It's going to be tough to beat the low end performance you're getting now from your current speakers.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ultra towers in white!

/thread over :p

Lol, I don't think they even make them in white. Not home right now, but I'll take a look at those KEFs you posted up there when I get home. It's going to be tough to beat the low end performance you're getting now from your current speakers.
Lol! I’ve thought of ultras in white! Too bad...

Not interested in the primes, I’ve not heard kind things about the tweeter and at best I think it would be lateral enough, not to be compelling. Again, this isn’t a “money burning a hole in my pocket” thing. She’s tired of my towers, and I’m reasonable enough to consider options. Like I said, I promised myself a pair of legacy’s sometime before I die, but was really looking at Revel, JBL HDI series, monitor, and Kef as most interesting(still open though) for my next move. Then the Fv18’s..., move my PC’s to the back(maybe).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks. I was kinda taking the THX certification as a measure of performance. I know they have put their name on all kinds of stuff that seems ridiculous. But in this case, and some receivers, and the monolith for instance, I believe it matters.
Yeah, the 312’s go into the mid/low 30’s. I used to cross them at 50 and then 60 for a long time and have used 80 now for a few years. One of the things I like about them is they are just effortless and I never get fatigue from them despite the titanium tweeters(which I understand Mr. Timbers sourced from a French speaker company).
I know they’re not be all end all, but everything I’ve looked at seemed a lateral move unless I really spend some money. I do have a list of usual contenders, but these popped up, and looked compelling. Again, I’m not a lover of in walls, and I have informed my wife IF and I do mean IF, I entertain the IW thing, it’s gonna cost her a bunch of money.
And NOW, thanks to you I will look at the Klipsch just for fun. Looked at ML and paradigm IW’s too.
Also give Triad and Atlantic Technology a look too, They have some very high performance in-walls. If you can spend a little more, like at RBH in walls.

As for titanium domes, there is no reason why they should be fatiguing. The composition of the tweeter diaphragm doesn't really matter. It's just the way its used that matters.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can I have the JBLs if you get new speakers? Always wanted to hear that model.... :)

How much do you want to spend? Will you win the IW battle?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Can I have the JBLs if you get new speakers? Always wanted to hear that model.... :)

How much do you want to spend? Will you win the IW battle?
Probably can’t donate em to you, but any excuse to hit the west side would definitely be worth considering something!!!

Not sure I’ll win the IW battle or not. Like I said, she’s been warned, it won’t be cheap if she wins that one. Won’t be cheap either way I guess!!! Unless I keep my monkey coffins.....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Also give Triad and Atlantic Technology a look too, They have some very high performance in-walls. If you can spend a little more, like at RBH in walls.

As for titanium domes, there is no reason why they should be fatiguing. The composition of the tweeter diaphragm doesn't really matter. It's just the way its used that matters.
Roger that. Forgot rbh makes IW’s. I’d rather buy a pair of their towers...
This will be interesting.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Roger that. Forgot rbh makes IW’s. I’d rather buy a pair of their towers...
This will be interesting.
*watches with great interest

(BTW, my work seems to have gone full Corona-Time. 100+ workers on leave. 6 of the 9 counties comprising the Bay Area are under guidance to Shelter-In-Place. (Sonoma is not one of them, yet, but we did get our second official community spread case.))

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
*watches with great interest

(BTW, my work seems to have gone full Corona-Time. 100+ workers on leave. 6 of the 9 counties comprising the Bay Area are under guidance to Shelter-In-Place. (Sonoma is not one of them, yet, but we did get our second official community spread case.))
The thing that scares me the most is the effect this will have on the economy. I’m afraid my upgrade plans might take longer than I hoped. Good thing I have a bidet....
Oh wait... I don’t.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis