New Sony and Mits 1080 Projector comparison

For your first 1080 projector, which one of these would you buy?

• Sony VPL-VW50

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Mitsubishi HC5000

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
I've been watching the progress of 1080 projectors and am comparing these two new budget priced projectors coming onto the market.

..................................Sony VPL-VW50.................Mitsubishi HC5000

Retail Price (USD).........$4,999.............................$4,499
Resolution.....................WUXGA(1920 x 1080)..........WuXGA(1920 x 1080)
Contrast Ratio...............3500:1 - 15000:1...............10000:1

Projection System.......0.6" SXRD (3)......................0.74" C2Fine LCD (3)
Colour Depth.................10Bit................................10Bit
Iris..............................Dynamic Iris........................Dynamic Iris
Deinterlacer ...............?......................................HQV Reon VX

Brightness (Lumens)
Standard......................900..................................1000
Economy.............................................................750

Lamp (hours)
Standard......................2500................................2000
Economy.............................................................5000

Connectivity
Highest Input Signal........1080p..............................1080p
HDMI............................Yes.................................Yes
Component....................Yes.................................Yes
SVideo..........................Yes.................................Yes
Composite.....................Yes.................................Yes
12v Trigger...................Yes..................................Yes
RS-232C.......................Yes..................................Yes
USB Port.......................Yes..................................No

Lens
Power Focus..................Yes.................................Yes
Power Zoom...................Yes.................................Yes
Power Lens Shift.............Yes.................................Yes

Fan Noise
Normal..........................22db................................22db
Economy.............................................................19db

Weight......................10Kg (22lbs).....................5.6Kg (12.32lbs)

Personally I think they compare quite well to each other. Although the Sony states 15000:1 contrast, I see the deal breaker in favor of the Mits being the "next-generation C2 Fine LCD panel has been markedly extended by using an inorganic alignment layer/ normally black mode. Even after long hours of use, high picture quality is maintained with high contrast", HQV chip, lamp life and lower price.

What do you think? Has anyone seen these in action? If so, has anyone been able to do a direct comparison?

cheers:)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I personally would wait for some real reviews of them or to see them both in action in real life. I can say that I have seen the Sony, and NOT the Mits. I thought that the Sony looked phenomenal overall. Keeping in mind that this is a third generation product from Sony, but a first generation product from Mitsubishi. I also have not always been thrilled with 1080p rear projection models from Mits. Which would definitely make me hesitant.

As for lamp life? I call BS on that! Any projector manufacturer who claims ANY lamp life hours, should back it up with a warranty. Know what your warranty is? 90 days on the lamp. So, throw all lamp life numbers in the garbage before doing anything else.

Obviously contrast ratio will be dependent on the iris settings and personal preference - but those are similar to 'Total Wattage' of an A/V receiver - it's just BS over the real ANSI numbers achievable.

If I had any choice right now at some sort of budget, the Optoma was the 1080p projector that blew me away the most and was notably much brighter than the Sony. But, the anamorphic lens was not a cheap additon.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
One problem with manufacturer's spec sheet is that it is before proper calibration; most of them anyhow. Runco posts both, before and after calibration. That what counts:D

M

morkys

Junior Audioholic
I would really like to see a good comparison/shootout between the Sony Pearl and the Mitsubishi HC5000.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
morkys said:
I would really like to see a good comparison/shootout between the Sony Pearl and the Mitsubishi HC5000.
Since those represent 2 different technologies, I would really like to see the Optoma HD81 or the BenQ 1080p DLP model put into the mix as well. The 3 main projection technologies, head-to-head, at 1080p.

Bring it on!

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
The upcoming Panasonic PT-AE1000 1080p projector looks interesting, specs similar to the Mitsubishi HC5000 but without the HQV chip.

cheers:)

M

morkys

Junior Audioholic
...but the Panasonic will use some form of their "smooth screen" technology, which I dislike. I already find it un-neccessary with my 720p projector. I can't imagine the 1080p Mitsubishi needing it. I prefer no smooth screen so I will lean towards the Mitsubishi. I also like the high probability of long lamp life, although the Panasonics have done ok in that department. I like the Mitsubishi's inclusion of both DVI and HDMI inputs on their projector.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Panasonic is now manufacturing their own lamps because they weren't satisfied with the lamps from Phillips. Hopefully that means even better lamp life.

I have not seen the Mitsubishi projector but I have seen the Pearl and it is is an impressive machine. Judging by the new Mitsubishi Diamond RPTV's, I would expect the projector to look nothing short of spectacular.

M

morkys

Junior Audioholic
I am hearing mixed reports, but its going to be a while. We need to wait until the Mitsubishi comes out with the proper lcd panels (C2Fine) and a fully working iris. The Pearl does sound like a good machine. These units are lower than the Ruby etc, but still lots of money. I am hoping they may come down a bit more in price. I want to know how the Pearl and Mits HC5000 compare to my Hitachi TX 200.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis