New Setup - Need Reciever recommendations

T

timisu87

Audiophyte
Hey all,

New member here. I just picked up a couple JBL pieces for my television. I got a pair of Studio 530's, Studio 520C and a Sub 550P. My budget is up to $500. What receiver would you recommend?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It’s just a little over your budget, but one of the Best Buy’s right now is likely the Denon 3500 if you can still get your hands on one. Otherwise, the 3600 should be getting a very good discount soon when the 2020 models drop.
I would advise a little patience, if you can.

M

Merkules2001

Audioholic
I have had in my sampling of gear this year, Yamaha rxv1800, v367, v667. Denon Avr-791, 2312ci. Pioneer vsx82, 1020. Harmon Kardon avr, onkyo hr-r557, sr-603, nr609, nr709, nr807, a-8048. All older gear, but gives a general impression of what that company tweaks in its setups, processing. Used the same gear and speakers to be objective. To my ears Onkyo brand receivers sound the best. I tweak each machine to be setup the same. Rz-8 series would push anything you want. My 2cents.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey, that's a nice little 3.1 setup you got there! I second Ryan's suggestion. If you can get your hands on a Denon X3500H that's about the best deal going on a good receiver. Otherwise give it some time because big discounts will be coming soon on current models.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Somewhat depends on what you need in the way of features beyond driving the 3.1 setup, too. Using a 4K set? Want Atmos type audio down the line?

T

timisu87

Audiophyte
Pogre,

I can definitely wait no problem. Should I be looking out for the drop on the price on the X3500? Mainly the set up is too listen to music. It is a 4k tv if thats what you're asking. I do not know what Atmos type audio is.

T

timisu87

Audiophyte
And for wiring purposes? Is the amazon speaker wires sufficient? And what type of Banana plugs do you regularly use?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Atmos is an overhead speaker object oriented immersive experience....or something like that, uses speakers mounted in the ceiling for improved 3d sound imaging. Most current avrs provide this feature set. Personally I don't have either 4k tv or Atmos, so older avrs work just fine for me. FWIW.

I'd avoid Amazon's CCA (copper coated aluminum) speaker wire but they also sell all copper speaker wires. Monoprice is another good source for things wire/cable. I use Sewell silverback banana plugs myself, but there are other good ones too (I particularly like the dual set screws in this model). Here's a good site for information on things speaker wire http://roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

T

timisu87

Audiophyte
Speaker wires and Banana plugs all ordered. Besides the X3500 are there any other receivers I should take a look at?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Speaker wires and Banana plugs all ordered. Besides the X3500 are there any other receivers I should take a look at?
May not see a lot of 3500s from here on out, and it's successor, the 3600 is superior in a coupla ways but won't be as deeply discounted for a while (but the new 37xx series seems to maybe doing that a bit)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis