Going from 16x12 room to 20x16 room. Looking for advice on layout. System

Denon 4400
LR- Airmotiv T1
Center- Airmotiv C2
Side Surround- Paradigm Mini Monitor v7
Rear Surround- SVS Prime Satellites
Sub 1- HSU VTF-3 MK4
Sub 2- SVS PC 2000

Thinking PC 2000 will go in front left and HSU will go immediately behind the couch. Prime Sats mounted on either side of the rear window. Looking for advice on the towers and side surrounds.

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
One problem I see is that you are sitting a bit far from the speakers, so they would ideally be further apart than you have room for. The problem is the wall on the right side; you don't want to put a speaker too close to it, yet you want to get those speakers as widely apart as possible. As for side surrounds, you might as well go for in-ceiling speakers or ceiling mounted speakers, because you don't have the right distances or mounting heights for placing those speakers on the wall. In fact, you might just think about sticking with a 5.1 system, or maybe Atmos 5.1.2.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I think the couch can be moved up. Are you thinking equilateral triangle spacing/seating distance? I'm guessing that having the right front placed with nothing behind it would be disastrous

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
In a 5.1.2 would the surrounds be behind toed into the seating position with the overheads directly overhead?

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Btw, the console is going away in favor of a really basic rack that the center will go on. I'd like to put the right channel in front of the wall.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
No. The surrounds would still be to the sides and slightly behind, but the .2 would be in front of the LP a couple feet. This is Dolby’s diagram...

Here’s the guide which is much more in depth.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf
I looked at that. I think that setup is doable. I kind of wondering what it might be like to re-orient the couch 90°. It would allow me to spread out the fronts. I can get that couch a couple feet off the wall that way, but not much more. It would make the spread on the surrounds easier as well. What I wonder about is going from 20'Lx16'W to the other way around. I just don't seem to ever see folks setting up rooms that way.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I had a room set up that way before, with gear on the long wall. With odd rooms, you sometimes have to go with the lesser of evils. Without standing in the space, it seems like rotating the room might be best.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think the couch can be moved up. Are you thinking equilateral triangle spacing/seating distance? I'm guessing that having the right front placed with nothing behind it would be disastrous
You don't have to form an equilateral triangle with your speakers, but that is not a bad guideline. I think the listener can be a bit further back than equilateral and the soundstage doesn't suffer for it. Having nothing behind the right front speakers won't be that bad, but it might deprive it a bit of bass. I would be more concerned that there is a sidewall next to the left speaker but not the right speaker.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Cool fireplace by the way. I would mount the tv above your fireplace and put the couch on the opposite wall by the window Since your using only half the room floor space in that current setup it wouldn’t be ideal for that room. Your already giving up a lot with all those open entrances and open beam ceilings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Cool fireplace by the way. I would mount the tv above your fireplace and put the couch on the opposite wall by the window Since your using only half the room floor space in that current setup it wouldn’t be ideal for that room. Your already giving up a lot with all those open entrances and open beam ceilings.

That's what I was referring to when I replied to @William Lemmerhirt . As it stands, the decision isn't mine exclusively to make, but it does make the most sense, so I'm going to have see about making that happen. I think I'd have the greatest chance of getting ALL the speaker placements optimized that way

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
I’m assuming your wife has to agree. I think that fireplace under the Tv would look amazing. It shouldn’t affect traffic. It would make that room a lot more functionally setup for your gear and family in general.

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
I’m assuming your wife has to agree. I think that fireplace under the Tv would look amazing. It shouldn’t affect traffic. It would make that room a lot more functionally setup for your gear and family in general.

Just got the go ahead on re-orienting! I'm pretty dang excited now! I'm thinking the new avr with the XT32, along with using the Audyssey editor app, is going to help me realize some great sound in that space!

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Oh yeah now we’re cooking with gas

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
The switchover begins! 2300w--->4400h

After that, unbox the new SVS PC2000 and run initials:D
IMG_20190517_203314.jpg

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Impressions to date- I'm surprised how much more powerful the HSU is, but the PC 2000 is plenty powerful enough, and I like the form factor. Having the space in the room to do a proper 5.1.2 layout, combined with dual sub correction has made a STAGGERING difference. Even with the opening in the room the bass performance has exceeded the expectations I had replacing the PB 1000 with the PC 2000.

First Atmos movie I watched was Ready Player One. Dang:eek:

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Congratulations! Feels good when a plan comes together. How bout some pics? You know we love pics!

N

NorCalRP

Full Audioholic
Airmotiv T1 towers and C2 center. PC 2000 pictured and my VTF3 MK4 behind the couch, set about 2 1/2ft of the back wall. Paradigm Mini Monitor v7 about half a foot of the back toe'd towards LP, and Prime Satellites on the mounted 2ft in front of the LP on the sides of the open beams protruding very slightly from the bottom. Tried to stay true to the Dolby diagram.

I'm thrilled with the 2.2 music performance. I don't think the AMT'S on the Airmotivs sound as good as the ML Motion 60's, but great at less than $800 for the LCR.

I'll take a pic when I can, similar to what I originally posted, for comparison;)

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis