lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
ah yes ...The CURVES !!! well it all did equal out !!! thanx

rca's to CD input = got my library back .... thanx for the help !
What format does your ipod use? Still wondering why it worked on a similar unit before, and what might have changed.....but congrats on getting the music back....

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
as is typically the case, for Me, don't have a clue ... :oops:

format of an Ipod ?
o_O :eek: o_O

this is why i come to you guys / gals

but listening now, so can live with that

thanx

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
it's not Yet over :rolleyes:

noticing my subs ( i have 2 ) do not appear to be " kicking - in " consistently...during music playback
neither my Ipod or Pandora, which is 99% of what i listen to as a music source ...

in the "set-up" of the Denon AVR X4700H ...
did the Audyssey mic and all seemed to go fine,
no issues to note from hearing the kerplunks etc from all speakers
so now, this goes back to an earlier request/inquiry for "set - up assistance " from the pros
;)youse guyz;)
in particular...now... the speakers and when i just took a look at readings ,
in the options menu for Channel Adjustments ALL the speaker settings were at 0.0 Db

unlike my older Denon , it Appears as though, settings are shown for each specific choice;
Pandora shows something, via HEOS, CD, which is my Ipod, shows something,
depending on what i would choose
i suppose the real qweshun, w/o laboring on, is ...should i forget the set-up i did w/ the mic ?
and re-adjust all of it for the ear? that seems o k w/ music ...but
different 4K discs , do different things.. some are Atmos, some DTS ...etc
so, each time media is played ; Music, Roku, 4K disc
do i have to fine tune it accordingly ?!?

i have enuff trouble reading the chronometer to tune my gee-tar dagnabit ! :eek:

thanx

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd find it hard to believe all your channel level adjustments would be at 0. What about delay (distance) settings? Maybe you didn't even save the calibration? Or are you saying for different input sources you're seeing other than 0 for levels?

ps Just how are you accessing the channel level info?

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
i too, found it a little odd, but as witnessed by these posts ...it's all above MY paygrade :confused:

having been thru the Audyssey calibrations, numerous times, it was completed again,
by following the on-screen prompts ...
after seeing all the 0's ...for "CD" which is how i access the Ipod,
( BTW it Did Not show the subs on that screen )
i clik on Blu-ray, with a disc then again went to the "options" on the remote, to see,
that screen showed the subs, but not any of the height speakers, which were on the previous , CD, screen !

so, i'm wondering if the mic setup is less beneficial ? and perhaps there is a , formula of sorts?
to use in setting db levels manually ....and....would those levels remain regardless of what is being played?
the Ipod, a movie, pandora etc . ?!?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You lost me with that description.

In using the CD input, I assume for 2ch stereo content, what sound mode are you using? You see exactly what for speaker/sub levels and crossovers and distances? Try from the remote using Setup - Speakers - Manual Setup - for each of those parameters?

Now moving to the bluray input, same thing, assuming using a multich bluray disc, what sound mode and what settings do you see?

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
trust me... I AM LOST ...
:eek: o_O :eek:

i realize too, my descriptions are likely confounding to people who know and use the terminology properly
and i'll apologize for that .... appreciating always the patience ... thanx

i was approaching much of this, based on what i had learned from my older unit; setup, playback etc
it appears that now, w/ this unit... i get a view of "configurations" based on which "mode"
Ipod / spotify / disc...etc chosen
it seems to i have confused some of the screens , or , depending on how / what i choose to view ...
there are a few variations ...
the screen mentioned previously ..showing 0.0 db across the page, threw me , but,
in going back to the "set-up" screen...choosing "manual" there were readings of more variety...

that said, even those readings, from the Audyssey , were to me skewed
some R/L channels the same... some differing 1-2 db, and the subs...really off !
it seems that a manual adjustment is perhaps a better option?
and
taking the long way to ask...based on mine, ( 9.2 ) or any other system,
is there a basic formula to follow in setting the db levels for the speakers used ?
understanding, it may be 1 way for watching Avengers Endgame and a bit different for listening to
An Acoustic Evening with Joe Bonamassa
but thus far, doesn't seem like Audyssey has done the job i thought it would

:rolleyes:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was curious what particular numbers you're seeing...and the levels will vary based on your speakers' sensitivity and your distance from them. No, there's no formula and likely Audyssey will set it up better than you can as well. You have many things you can adjust for movies/tv vs movies, and you may prefer different settings for such. Have you figured out how to change sound modes?

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
sound modes...meaning DTS / Multi Channel / Stereo / Auro 3D / Atmos ..

yes, that has pretty muchremained the same, well Auro 3D is new, but ? ...
content is lacking if i understood correctly

music is played back in Stereo for the most part, sometimes multi channel

the Roku device is pretty much Atmos all the time, i leave that alone
and 4K discs , almost always have Atmos too
some older movies DTS master or ?
whichever is the best offered is where i leave that ...
simply assuming, that's how it was developed for playback .... :rolleyes:

it struck me a little odd that the Audyssey set-up, had a number of speakers running in the ( - ) db levels
there's probably a good reason for that ...but ,
again ,,, i don't know it :confused:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, those are sound modes/upmixers. Your avr will play something in its native format generally until you indicate a particular preference, then it can remember for that input your preference (for example you could have it remember for your cable input to upmix 2.0 content with Dolby Surround). I'm not a fan of multi channel stereo modes for music except for a party, I prefer either native format or a surround upmixer for that. Are you using the Audyssey Reference or Flat curve? Using DynamicEQ? Dynamic Volume?

Not unusual for speakers to be set in the negative range for level, just part of the balancing act from the parameters in play. I deliberately do that with subs just so I can leave some overhead room to raise level as is my preference. Nothing to worry about. You can always change a level for preference, too.

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
i use the multi channel for nature sounds i have for meditation ...on my ipod
;)

Are you using the Audyssey Reference or Flat curve? Using DynamicEQ? Dynamic Volume?

by audyssey, i think you mean..using what that setup effort provided?

i noticed that the subs were not kicking in...i did change the LFE to LFE+main which
i sort of recall from a similar issue, way back, on the older units..
but the discrepancy for my 2 subs...was way off :confused:
so i manually balanced them .....they should be the same? no ?
thus far, my music is more what my ears like...no movie / 4K disc yet...
will wait to see

more terms ..i do not know :( flat curve ...?
is that where the batter stays in the box, and it breaks at the last moment ?!?!?

tho i have seen the dynamic eq and volume pop up in my perusals ....
do not turn on anything i do not have knowledge of

should i ?

which , if not already extremely obvious...is A Lot !

thanx

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You need to learn to navigate around your avr's features :) After running Audyssey some avrs activate both Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ, or at least ask you to confirm or turn off at that point.

Press setup on your remote, then select audio then select Audyssey to see what curve you're using (or turn it off there) and whether DynamicEQ and/or Dynamic Volume are enabled. I'd turn off Dynamic Volume. I'd keep Dynamic EQ or enable it and try it, and then for music adjust the Reference Level Offset that works together with Dynamic EQ (probably try 10 to start for music, but leave it at 0 for movies).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow. A lot to unpack and decipher here!

Looks like you figured out the correct menu to view distance and volume settings. The levels under "options" I look at as just a way to bump individual channels without screwing up your room correction results. If you change something and it's off, you always know that "0" is default.

Okay, I'm just gonna tackle this in bit sized chunks...
i get a view of "configurations" based on which "mode"
Ipod / spotify / disc...etc chosen
We usually refer to those as "sources". CD, Ipod, Spotify, etc. Each one is a source.
that said, even those readings, from the Audyssey , were to me skewed
some R/L channels the same... some differing 1-2 db, and the subs...really off !
it seems that
The differing volume settings are more affected by your room, reflections, placement, etc. It's not unusual to see some different adjustments based on where the speaker is in the room.

ALSO, distance settings have more to do with timing than distance. The settings won't always match with actual measured distances, and that goes doubly so for subwoofers. Using distance to add or subtract delay is one way to make up for the extra time needed for signal processing. I have about 6 feet added to the distances of my subs and it's just about spot on for sound.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well you might have different apps in a given source unit, but if that source unit is connected to a particular input on an avr, the avr sees them as just that singular input....so variances with different apps have to be dealt with at the source level rather than avr and there can be differences. Hope that makes sense. I was thinking the levels available under "options" might be just temporary or input specific changes to the base level but I didn't dig into the manual to see what you're looking at particularly.

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
i'm seeing now that levels...from the audyssey...on what would be the L side of my viewing area if looking at the TV screen or sitting in the "middle" of the speaker setup...the room has an additional 8 + feet to the wall, front door etc....the R side has < 3 ' to that wall ... so, now discrepancies in db levels begin to make sense, to me :)

fiddling a "little" i have the music playback where i need it .... i'll work on getting a better sense
of 4K disc playback atmos etc ...after my new hearing aids are delivered

did i mention my recent visit to the audiologist ?!?!

thanx so much

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis