R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
my current Denon , is gasping for air ...would like some recommendations for a new 9.2 unit .... i have seen Denon 3700 and Marantz 6015 popping up most frequently ...so wondering what is the thought around here ...too , some say upscaling to 8K yes some = don't bother ...so ... a little input will be appreciated ... thanx

thinking in terms of less than $2000.00

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
my current Denon , is gasping for air ...would like some recommendations for a new 9.2 unit .... i have seen Denon 3700 and Marantz 6015 popping up most frequently ...so wondering what is the thought around here ...too , some say upscaling to 8K yes some = don't bother ...so ... a little input will be appreciated ... thanx

thinking in terms of less than $2000.00
1. I strongly recommend the Denon AVR-X3700H. It was reviewed on the ASR site with a recommendation. This site does precise and serious reviews:

2. As for the 8K definition, it's overkill unless you have a large room requiring a screen over 10 feet wide. Moreover, I don't think this format will survive in the consumer market because it's expensive and not of much value for most home environments. IMO, it's doomed to be eventually abandoned just like the 3D format.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Those would both be good choices IMO. Pick the feature set you like the most at the best price you can....

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
thanx ....
i did see the 3700 in the qwik perusal,
before asking advice here ... :rolleyes:
the qweshun that pops now ...this unit has the 8K as well :oops:

am i paying extra for something that is not likely to actually be beneficial ?

the review went "over my head" thinking it would "take me to the paradise"
it left me scratchin ALL Over my Head o_O:eek:o_O

fortunately youse are here to guide us

thanx !

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
thanx ....
i did see the 3700 in the qwik perusal,
before asking advice here ... :rolleyes:
the qweshun that pops now ...this unit has the 8K as well :oops:

am i paying extra for something that is not likely to actually be beneficial ?

the review went "over my head" thinking it would "take me to the paradise"
it left me scratchin ALL Over my Head o_O:eek:o_O

fortunately youse are here to guide us

thanx !
Unfortunately all D+M's 2020 models come with 8K so yes you will be paying for things you may never use.
Between the two, unless the Marantz has features you need and not found in the Denon, the 3700 is clearly a better value, for a few hundred dollars less. In terms of audio specs they are near twins, but the Denon actually did better on the bench.

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
ugggh ,,,, THANX !

so now, lookin a little more , as i await replies
seeing
HDR 10+ / Auro 3 D capable / Dynamic HDR

poppin up frequently enough to ask ?!?!?
necessary .. :rolleyes: .are my OLD ears going to know ?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
ugggh ,,,, THANX !

so now, lookin a little more , as i await replies
seeing
HDR 10+ / Auro 3 D capable / Dynamic HDR

poppin up frequently enough to ask ?!?!?
necessary .. :rolleyes: .are my OLD ears going to know ?
Only you can answer the questions. You can read up on Auro 3D and decide if that's what you may like:
Microsoft Word - What is Auro-3D SHORT(FINAL).doc (auro-3d.com)

Be aware that there aren't much contents you can get for Auro 3D, but as long as you place the speakers the way they suggested, you can still enjoy it using the upmixer, though it likely won't be as realistic as the real Auro 3D contents. Also, the X3700H can't do it, you need the X4700H, or X4400H, X4500H if you can find one used or new.

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
sounds like ...
as with an atmos enabled speaker...you need "auro enabled" gear too ?
not just the receiver ?
did i read that right :oops:

is it a matter of the content; streaming and 4K discs are my deal...needing the 3 D aspect as well ?

sort of feels like if i'm asking all these questions , i'll likely not really get the differences,
which i'd suspect would be, at this point in time, pretty subtle ?!?
:confused:

as long as i'm typing ...

any thoughts for a "smallish" atmos speaker
Sony - SSCSE vs NHT mini add-on
the Elac Debut i have on the front towers, but are a touch too big for this go-round

thanx !

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Between the two, unless the Marantz has features you need and not found in the Denon, the 3700 is clearly a better value, for a few hundred dollars less.
Yes, completely agree. For the money Denon tends to cost less for similar or same performance. I only brought up Marantz in the off chance he finds a good deal on one. I paid $899 for my 6011 at A4L when the 6012 (or 6013?) came out.

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
so folks

as it jumped on me, off the computer screen :eek:
i was powerless to think clearly about $ "saving" $

went with the Denon X4700H / and now w/ 9.2 adding a pair of NHT Atmos Mini add-on
to the existing system :
LG OLED 65B6P TV / Roku Ultra / Sony UBPX800M2 4K player / Aperion (5) speakers =
L/R front towers, Center, L/R surround,
2 Sony Subwoofers
( the Aperion sub, died a painful death)
Elac Atmos enabled upward firing on top of front towers,
the NHT's to go on top of the L/R surrounds:)

all is Wired, nothing wireless... Spectrum router and cable-box ..ethernet to receiver, T V etc

i had it going, before the rcvr qwit, but

provide this info here, now, to see if there may not be an
Optimal Connection Pattern
that will get me the most / best performance :rolleyes:

knowing the new unit has a setup wizard, and familiar with the Audyssey Mic use ....

some previous issues , over the years, have me thinking it wise, to ask those most familiar
"trix-of-the trade"
so to speak, blunders to avoid, better way to do it ?!?

thanx again for all the input thus far

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
funny ? cuz i'm so far out of the loop ?:oops:

i actually was asking for any additional advice concerning the routing of the variety of HDMI inputs
(and since the "height" selections are now in play, i'll check on that too)

the reason for my question was, in previous setups ,( last 6 yr ago)
i had varying issues with how audio was being processed
and
being able to access my usb connected music and pandora,
which then had my audio for Disc playback fouled up ...this despite doing the setup as directed from wizard

perhaps newer units are more refined/specific ?
but since i dealt with it previously, figured i'd get off on the L/R channel,, oops R foot from the start;)

thanx

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I did laugh a bit at the multi-colored post myself (which fwiw makes it a lot harder to read).

As to your ears being affected by HDR10 or Dynamic HDR, probably not since those are video related, not audio.

Not sure what you mean about the "routing of the variety of hdmi inputs"

What issues did you have with processing or with the usb input?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
sounds like ...
as with an atmos enabled speaker...you need "auro enabled" gear too ?
not just the receiver ?
did i read that right :oops:
Just the receiver, and the speakers obviously but no other "gear" required. I mentioned "upmixer", that's just something like a sound mode (not a "gear") you can select with the remote and the pop up menu that will show up if you have configured your speaker layout properly, when you press the right button.

I only called it "upmixer", because that's what it is, if the content is not encoded/mixed Auro 3D, if it is then it would be called "native Auro 3D".

1618952743099.png

Someone did a comparison of the upmixers including the Auro-3D, using the Denon AVR-X8500H:

Upmixer Face-off: DSU vs. Neural:X vs. Auro-3D - High-Def Digest: The Bonus View

Last edited:
R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
so, my learning curve is difficult for me to describe at the moment ... so, thanx for the assists here

new unit hooked up, along with the NHT minis, which, during the sound calibration, seemed to have more
"zing"
then my larger, R/L surround speakers ?!?! :rolleyes:
atmos enabled .. is that typical = meaning did i hear them right ?
anyway ... surprised to realize my Pandora station Not there and though there is a Usb, plugging in the ipod classic , gets me nothing...did figure out getting Pandora ...but,
though i can play the ipod...via my blu-ray player's usb, i have No Control ...just shows "files" which i know mean something ...but ...UGGGH o_O:eek:o_O

so ??? AnyWay ?
to get my ipod working w/ this new unit ...
when i reviewed it, saw "apple, ipod etc" in the spex and thought o k good to go ...
guess i misread it .. "airplay" whatever that is ...it's Not what i have :mad:

as always thanx

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
so, my learning curve is difficult for me to describe at the moment ... so, thanx for the assists here

new unit hooked up, along with the NHT minis, which, during the sound calibration, seemed to have more
"zing"
then my larger, R/L surround speakers ?!?! :rolleyes:
atmos enabled .. is that typical = meaning did i hear them right ?
anyway ... surprised to realize my Pandora station Not there and though there is a Usb, plugging in the ipod classic , gets me nothing...did figure out getting Pandora ...but,
though i can play the ipod...via my blu-ray player's usb, i have No Control ...just shows "files" which i know mean something ...but ...UGGGH o_O:eek:o_O

so ??? AnyWay ?
to get my ipod working w/ this new unit ...
when i reviewed it, saw "apple, ipod etc" in the spex and thought o k good to go ...
guess i misread it .. "airplay" whatever that is ...it's Not what i have :mad:

as always thanx
Thanks, and thanks to @lovinthehd too, who sounded funny at the time, but it is true that sometime we see better in black and white than color.

Congrats, and glad you are all set to enjoy your the excellent AVR-X4700H, it packs so many goodies that will take time to explore and eventually take advantage of for sure.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well as far as usb input on your denon goes, it has rules about what your limits are; see page 93 of the pdf manual for the main requirements for example.

The difference during testing may have been reflecting the differences in sensitivity for your speakers perhaps. I'm not up on my apple units but which specific one do you have that isn't airplay enabled? You can't stream wirelessly at all from it?

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
nooooooo :oops:

i pod classic .... stopped making them ... :confused:
well i was much younger ...

so no wireless capability ...
back to the "curve" i simply figure it has a usb...it can be plugged in !
that it was in my old Denon x2200w ..
and
that it would Not be in a new one ...well there's another curve !!

i did plug an rca >>> 3.5 mm ...
plugged into open channel " phono" in the rear then to the headphone jack of the ipod ...
got it to play ... but a lot of distortion/humm/fuzz ... ?

was actually testing with "up around the bend" so there's an even longer curve !!!

:eek::p:eek:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well you used to be able to buy a separate airplay unit, but think they're discontinued?

USB if it worked with the same device in the slightly older Denon is odd, as I don't think Denon's treatment of the usb input has changed for quite a while (my older Denon has the same rules...).

I'd use a different analog input than "phono" as the phono input is specifically for play back of vinyl and includes the RIAA equalization curve, choose any other analog input.

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
cool ...thought it was a lost cause ...will try that !

thanx

R

roodoob

Audioholic Intern
ah yes ...The CURVES !!! well it all did equal out !!! thanx

rca's to CD input = got my library back .... thanx for the help !

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis