New receiver and now need new speakers

J

Joey1986

Audiophyte
Hello recently got into the home theater game. Was gifted an old Sony DV175 system and it's ok but want to get bigger and better. So I have purchased a Yamaha TSR-700 from Costco for $330.00. It looks like the speakers I have are rated at 3 ohms which as I understand could spell disaster if I try to use them with the new receiver. So I am now looking st speakers. Trying to not to spend too much more right now as I can always upgrade later. I am looking at a couple of options and would love some input.

Option 1: $108.70 Monoprice 5.1 home theater system (108247) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007YLQUWK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_9hKbGbTSAT393

Cheap should get me by until I can upgrade

Option 2: $179.99 Monoprice HT-35 5.1 Premium

Good reviews and thinking might actually be a decent system overall and not require immediate upgrading for us as we are in a small space.

Option 3: I can get 4 polk T15 bookshelf speakers for $125 then add a Polk TL1 center for $73.96 and Polk PSW10 sub for $129 totaling $327.96

Speakers

Center channel

Subwoofer

Option 4: not sure if wife will go for it but could get the Klipsch reference theater pack 5.1 for $450 ($350 used)

So obviously if possible I'd love #4 but assuming that isnt an option which of 1-3 should I go with?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hello recently got into the home theater game. Was gifted an old Sony DV175 system and it's ok but want to get bigger and better. So I have purchased a Yamaha TSR-700 from Costco for $330.00. It looks like the speakers I have are rated at 3 ohms which as I understand could spell disaster if I try to use them with the new receiver. So I am now looking st speakers. Trying to not to spend too much more right now as I can always upgrade later. I am looking at a couple of options and would love some input.

Option 1: $108.70 Monoprice 5.1 home theater system (108247) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007YLQUWK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_9hKbGbTSAT393

Cheap should get me by until I can upgrade

Option 2: $179.99 Monoprice HT-35 5.1 Premium

Good reviews and thinking might actually be a decent system overall and not require immediate upgrading for us as we are in a small space.

Option 3: I can get 4 polk T15 bookshelf speakers for $125 then add a Polk TL1 center for $73.96 and Polk PSW10 sub for $129 totaling $327.96

Speakers

Center channel

Subwoofer

Option 4: not sure if wife will go for it but could get the Klipsch reference theater pack 5.1 for $450 ($350 used)

So obviously if possible I'd love #4 but assuming that isnt an option which of 1-3 should I go with?
Parts express has a few cheap options too ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
None of the speaker/sub sets would be the way I'd go. I'd concentrate on speakers, even starting off with just two....but I'd also look on the used market if money is tight.

Your new avr can't use the passive sub from the old set, but you can use the speakers at lower volume levels without issue I'd think....it won't blow up the avr just by using them, it's using them with judicious use of the volume knob that is key.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Also, an obvious one, give as much money as you can for the speakers. If there's one thing where you should strech and buy something even above your pay grade it's the speakers. Therein lies joy of sound.

Even if you have to wait a little while to rebuild the bank for the electronics.

I was given that same advice here long time ago. My amp is 200$ second hand, my speakers were 1500$ a pair. I couldn't be happier.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Here are a few good budget speakers you should consider. Even if you buy a pair and start building your system over time.

These are really good

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
If you have time and money is too tight to mention, you might give this a read. Many outstanding speakers for the money.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis