New Receiver after 20 years-Yamaha/Marantz/Denon

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks - worth checking into reliability/repair records
Happy New Year!

I haven't bother to try virtual as I generally prefer the real thing but I am going to try and let you know. If you are talking about the SR7012 and AVR-X4400H (virtually twins),I am not sure if they were built in or updated via FW, the lower models were done via FW.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171120005783/en/DTS-Partners-Sound-United-Deliver-World’s-AV

By the way, before you ask any other questions regarding the SR7012/AVR-X4400H, they offer the same in terms surround modes/formats, basically anything DSP related, as they are really identical on the digital side. The SR7012 has the HDAM modules and 7.1 analog inputs, that's it. Some claim they have different sound signature, I heard none, and found nothing scientific to support such claims, but I do believe golden ears can hear differences they heard/read about.

Between the two, I see no reason to pay more for the Marantz (been there, done that too..) unless you need the 7.1 analog for some funny reasons. For reliability, go for the Yamaha, as long as if you are sure you won't get interested in 7.1.4 Atmos/Auro3D.

Since,you ask, now I am going to watch a movie or two and compare virtual X to neural X.

I would be curious where you are getting your data on receiver reliability. I used my "google machine" and beyond Onkyo, haven't seen much. I have had several Yamaha, 1 Integra, 2 Marantz and to date and never had a problem with any of them. Throw in an Anthem to the mix as well lol

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
Ok all, I need some guidance / opinions as I’m churning in analysis paralysis.

Background – An old audiophile (in desire if not execution) I’ve been holding off on getting a new receiver with the thought that I was moving in the next few years and the house would help dictate requirements. That doesn’t seem to be the case now so I’ve started shopping.

Brands: I’ve narrowed down to Yamaha, Denon, & Marantz (and yes I know latter are “sisters” – in fact the Marantz SR7102 & Denon AVRX4500H look identical from the rear).

Budget: Up to 2k but only if there is cause.

Current set up: 5.1 with many years of age. Amp (Carver) is pushing 125w/all channels and 180w/2 channel. Other components are not relevant as they are on the upgrade path. I’m switching to a receiver for simplicity of operations (WAF).

Requirements:
The primary use is going to be home theater. I have other setups for audio in different rooms. That said, if there is a new house, I may merge things depending on the layout. So musicality of a receiver is important but a secondary driver.
Channels: While a 7.2 system is the most likely setup I’d like to have 9.2 capability in case I get the right room for Atmos.
Candidates:
Yamaha RX-A3080, A2080, A2070. RX-V2085
Marantz SR7012, SR6012
Denon AVRX4500H, AVRX4400H
All are at least 9.2 and have the basics on sound/video processing covered. Subtle differences like # of HDMI inputs/outputs and zones are not important to me – all more than cover my needs. Auro 3D intrigues me but seems more like a nice-to-have.
My original plan was to buy a minus one generation model simply for cost savings.
So, after some spreadsheet studying, here are some questions I have.
  • Yamaha – Surround: AI. Has anyone experienced this and adopted for regular use (not just a demo)? It sounds like it could potentially help but I have used only one of the sound processors on my current preamp and even then, sparingly. That said, there have been many advances since I last bought something. The chipsets are far more powerful and the software more advanced. This one feature seems to be the largest argument for a current year model.
  • Thoughts on Musicast (Yamaha) vs HEOS (Denon/Marantz)? Is it an Apple/Android debate with fans of each or does one have strong advantages?
  • Marantz is reputed to have a “warmer” sound for music. Have any of you experienced this?
  • Yamaha has been reputed to be more musical. My first preamp (1979-yikes) was a Yamaha and I loved it. 39 years later is it still true?
  • While my budget (self-imposed) allows up to 2k I’m not sure there is a compelling argument (meaning will I hear the difference or value the feature set enough) to go up to that level. Right now the Yamaha RX-V2085 at $1,399.95 seems to be “high” enough (not to mention seeming almost identical to the RX-A2080). Juxtapose that to the (2017 model) Denon AVRX4400H for $899. Are there enough material differences to justify another $500 in cost?
  • The Yamaha(s) show minimum impedance for center and surrounds at 6 ohms (vs 4 for Denon/Marantz). I have M&K 850 center speaker rated at 4 ohms (surrounds are 8 ohms). Any cause for concern?
  • DAC, Chips, Software Oh My. I see a lot of literature about the great processors (e.g. SABRE 9007S Premier Audio DAC/Yamaha) etc. Any feedback on real world experience? Without a side by side A/B comparison would I ever know?
I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, pros/cons, etc. If you bought one of these, why – what were the distinguishing attributes? If you skipped one of these – what stopped you? Comments from real world owner experience always trump salesmen, literature and 3rd party reviews IMHO.

Thanks all for your input.
I have the Yamaha RX-A3080 and I really like it. to answer your question on Surround:AI, overall I’ll say it’s a cool feature and I use it about half the time. I use it to correct dialog issues that my cable box causes. For whatever reason I’ll have multichannel signal coming out of it but only have stereo content. Other DSPs won’t always fix that but Surround:AI seems to work well. My only complaint is that on some programs that have a narrator I notice a slight echo. My wife uses it all the time, she isn’t into audio like I am but she loves having a simple option for good sound.

My previous receiver was a Marantz SR7008. By default (without audyssey) it sounds pretty much like any other receiver I’ve had. I think my room confused Audyssey because after running room correction I heard too much bass just under the vocals, it almost sounded like hearing a tv from the other room.

Besides the A3080 I also have a A670 for my second system. I’m a fan of both.

As far as cost, I got my A3080 for $1399. Factory refurb from another site.

Edit-I should probably read further into the thread before answering. I didn’t see you already picked one haha. Enjoy your new toy!

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I would be curious where you are getting your data on receiver reliability. I used my "google machine" and beyond Onkyo, haven't seen much. I have had several Yamaha, 1 Integra, 2 Marantz and to date and never had a problem with any of them. Throw in an Anthem to the mix as well lol
As far as I can remember, on this forum, only @M Code seem to have access to such data.. I have similar experience with Yamaha (just one), Denon and Marantz. They were/have been nice to me too so far.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah M Code has the insider data that we're not privy to. :D

Rubbing elbows with all the industry hotshots. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Does anybody have subscription to Consumer Reports? Don't they have their reliability ratings? :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW the industry info MCode refers to is a periodic survey taken here in the US by retailers/installers based on their experiences IIRC....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
FWIW the industry info MCode refers to is a periodic survey taken here in the US by retailers/installers based on their experiences IIRC....
Really, I thought they were based on surveys on all the major service centers. Another interesting matter is volume, iirc he mentioned D's sales volume is much larger than M's, but I wonder how they compared to Yamaha and Onkyo, well may be we should include Sony and Pioneer, they may sell tons too outside NA.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Really, I thought they were based on surveys on all the major service centers. Another interesting matter is volume, iirc he mentioned D's sales volume is much larger than M's, but I wonder how they compared to Yamaha and Onkyo, well may be we should include Sony and Pioneer, they may sell tons too outside NA.
Not what I remember, but you could be right; I don't recall ever seeing a site/name of the survey either. Could be just service centers altho that may not tell the complete story either (of what, the major manufacturers themselves, or does every repairman in the country report in or?).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Not what I remember, but you could be right; I don't recall ever seeing a site/name of the survey either. Could be just service centers altho that may not tell the complete story either (of what, the major manufacturers themselves, or does every repairman in the country report in or?).
No, I just assume. I do not recall he said anything about his source. I know one should not assume anything.:D

J

junkman59

Audiophyte
For reliability I own 4 denons
A4802, 5803,5505,7200wa. All of them still working perfectly never seen a repair shop.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis