New RBH Impression Series Bookshelves Look Interesting.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Audioholics will be doing a review of the R5 and R-515, by the way, and I have them in house. It won't occur soon though, there is a bunch of other speakers I have to get out of the way first.
How much will it take to move these to the front of the line? :)

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
Is the satin black a vinyl wrap or a paint? I can't tell from the description.

E

Ernie Schmuntz

Junior Audioholic
Oooo, your going to have such a good time. You won’t want to give em back. I actually prefer my R5e over my JBL L5. Any one can make a multi thousand dollar unit sound good, but when it’s a lower cost bookshelf that sounds this good, that is a true piece of engineering. All hale Shane.....

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Can't let anything cut in line, but I will say that... *SPOILER ALERT* I do like what preliminary measurements I have taken of the R5 speakers so far. I'm looking forward to spending some listening time with them, but it will be awhile before I can do that.

E

Ernie Schmuntz

Junior Audioholic
Also noticed the 515 and 515E LCRs. Curious about the aluminum vs poly mid & fabric tweeter option and why they went to the length of offering both for the whole line.
The RBH founder (Great Father) said this new tweeter has an incredibly thin, but strong membrane which it turn, made for an extremely responsive and accurate sound. The coloring is for the looks with grill off presentation. I have folded up my JBL L5 for the little R5e. I did not expect a small bookshelf to blow my brain.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can tell you one thing - if RBH ever ships the SVT towers for review, they will be shipped via freight, not standard UPS or FedEX. :D

That's how I got them. I think the empty double-boxes weighed like 20 LBS for each cabinet - packed to the max. :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I can tell you one thing - if RBH ever ships the SVT towers for review, they will be shipped via freight, not standard UPS or FedEX. :D

That's how I got them. I think the empty double-boxes weighed like 20 LBS for each cabinet - packed to the max. :D
The problem with a speaker like the SVTs is it is very difficult to measure something that is so large and weighs so much. While I would love to hear one, I would rather do a full review of something I can actually measure. I can't physically handle speakers like those!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The problem with a speaker like the SVTs is it is very difficult to measure something that is so large and weighs so much. While I would love to hear one, I would rather do a full review of something I can actually measure. I can't physically handle speakers like those!
I thought that's why y'all kept Hugo around :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
True. Will be challenging for anyone trying to measure them.

It is bulky. Each cabinet weighs about 90 LBS. But I was able to put them together all by myself. :D

I think they weigh less than the ATI AT3005 and AT2005 amps I have, but these amps aren't as big and bulky. :D

I guess Gene and Hugo might have to be the ones doing this review if they do review it. :D

Maybe just review the SV-831 top cabinet. Gene already reviewed the bottom cabinet - the SX-1212 subwoofer.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That's too bad James bc I'm thinking you'd have loved them. We do have Theo reviewing a set. RBH is fyling down to his place to help him set them up! He will be directly comparing them to his Revel Salon 2's. Should be interesting ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's too bad James bc I'm thinking you'd have loved them. We do have Theo reviewing a set. RBH is fyling down to his place to help him set them up! He will be directly comparing them to his Revel Salon 2's. Should be interesting ;)
Will he do full measurements or just subjective review?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So how come RBH didn't offer to fly the SVT towers to your house with extra people ? :eek: :D

I would rather see extensive measurements than subjective review since I already know how the SVT towers sound subjectively compared to every speaker I've ever owned including Revel Salon2, B&W 802D2, Linkwitz Orion 3.2.1, Philharmonic 3, and KEF 201/2. :D

Last edited:
H

Hifihotz91

Audiophyte
i have the previous towers and center.
i bought the upgraded tweeters from brian $35 each (the tweeters they use on the new R-5) a few weeks ago.

they are more alive and forward.

biggest difference i notice is at low volumes. dialogue easy to understand.

if you have the previous version of the impression series and like them except for the laid back tweeter. id highly recommend upgrading to the new tweeters.
i was going to sell the speakers but thought for a little more than a benjamin i should try the upgrade first. glad i did.

unscrew tweeter, and disconnect red and black.
screw on new tweeters and connect red and black.
that was it.

no change to crossovers.
4 minutes tops per tweeter.
Which set of screws did you use to dismount the tweeters? I noticed that the faceplate of the new tweeters are a bit wider than the older gen. Was it the outer hex or inner philips screws that you had to undo, combination of both or do the new tweeters faceplate drop right in?

S

Space2013

Audioholic
Can't let anything cut in line, but I will say that... *SPOILER ALERT* I do like what preliminary measurements I have taken of the R5 speakers so far. I'm looking forward to spending some listening time with them, but it will be awhile before I can do that.
Any update on the RBH R5E review? Or the RBH R515E? I'm considering getting 3 across the front to replace my Athena's from 2002 (AS-B2 x2, AS-C1 center). I'm having trouble finding ANY impressions (no pun intended) of the new RBH models. Would the RBH be a noticeable improvement over the Athenas? The other ones I'm considering are the Chane 2.4 or Ascend SE 340, but I have no idea how the RBH compares to those either.

I know you probably can't spoil the review, but could you give me a hint if I should consider the RBH R515E in the same league as the Chane 2.4 or Ascend 340?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Any update on the RBH R5E review? Or the RBH R515E? I'm considering getting 3 across the front to replace my Athena's from 2002 (AS-B2 x2, AS-C1 center). I'm having trouble finding ANY impressions (no pun intended) of the new RBH models. Would the RBH be a noticeable improvement over the Athenas? The other ones I'm considering are the Chane 2.4 or Ascend SE 340, but I have no idea how the RBH compares to those either.

I know you probably can't spoil the review, but could you give me a hint if I should consider the RBH R515E in the same league as the Chane 2.4 or Ascend 340?
Our review of these speakers will go live next week.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis