New Philharmonitors announced

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Dennis Murphy has posted a photo and brief description of his new Philharmonitor 2-way speakers.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/index.html

Coming Soon! The New Philharmonitor
Our replacement for the much-praised original Philharmonitor features a RAAL true ribbon tweeter mated with the best 5.5" woofer we could find--the ScanSpeak Revelator. This driver combines nearly ruler-flat response with incredibly deep bass extension and power handling. All of this is available for only $1,150/pair in .50 cubic feet curve-sided cherry, piano mirror black, or maple cabinets. Shipments should start about December 1.

@Chu Gai – note the lack of security screws in these speakers.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Dennis Murphy has posted a photo and brief description of his new Philharmonitor 2-way speakers.

http://philharmonicaudio.com/index.html

Coming Soon! The New Philharmonitor
Our replacement for the much-praised original Philharmonitor features a RAAL true ribbon tweeter mated with the best 5.5" woofer we could find--the ScanSpeak Revelator. This driver combines nearly ruler-flat response with incredibly deep bass extension and power handling. All of this is available for only $1,150/pair in .50 cubic feet curve-sided cherry, piano mirror black, or maple cabinets. Shipments should start about December 1.

@Chu Gai – note the lack of security screws in these speakers.
Glad that I bought my Alexis monitors while they were still available! Granted, those use the Founek Ribbon, but also a few hundred $ cheaper! But, those Alexis are also front-ported, a real advantage in my situation (real estate is a premium).

Right now, the Phil BMR Monitors seem more appealing to me.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Glad that I bought my Alexis monitors while they were still available! Granted, those use the Founek Ribbon, but also a few hundred $ cheaper! But, those Alexis are also front-ported, a real advantage in my situation (real estate is a premium).

Well, I would be happy to sell you a pair of those....... The Alexis monitors were built in and used parts completely sourced from China. They actually had the exact same profit margin as the new monitor, which will give you an idea of the difference in cost. I think the new model is a definite step up, albeit at a stepped up price.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I would be happy to sell you a pair of those....... The Alexis monitors were built in and used parts completely sourced from China. They actually had the exact same profit margin as the new monitor, which will give you an idea of the difference in cost. I think the new model is a definite step up, albeit at a stepped up price.
Yup, I've been quite happy with my Alexis monitors. Maybe the new ones are a step up, but a step up where you are already near the top.

Have you been selling quite a few of the BMR models? I like the non conventional driver, and a 3 way bookshelf seems to be somewhat of a rare bird.

I think that is part of the appeal to me, it's somewhat unconventional all around.

I may end up looking into another pair of Phils one day, but it almost feels like a shame to me to use those for dedicated home theater

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Yup, I've been quite happy with my Alexis monitors. Maybe the new ones are a step up, but a step up where you are already near the top.

Have you been selling quite a few of the BMR models? I like the non conventional driver, and a 3 way bookshelf seems to be somewhat of a rare bird.

I think that is part of the appeal to me, it's somewhat unconventional all around.

I may end up looking into another pair of Phils one day, but it almost feels like a shame to me to use those for dedicated home theater
Since you asked, I've had a steady stream of order for the BMR's, although I've had to up the price to $1700/pr, because I can't use the curve-sided Parts Express cabinets due to lack of usable space inside to mount the complex crossover, and Jim only wants to offer his cabinets with the full-blown furniture-grade finish.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Since you asked, I've had a steady stream of order for the BMR's, although I've had to up the price to $1700/pr, because I can't use the curve-sided Parts Express cabinets due to lack of usable space inside to mount the complex crossover, and Jim only wants to offer his cabinets with the full-blown furniture-grade finish.
$1700 a pair :eek:

Those new Philharmonitors are "sounding" better by the minute :D

Looks like the new monitors are in direct competition with the Sierra 2. It's great to have several good options around a somewhat modest price point.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
But, those Alexis are also front-ported, a real advantage in my situation (real estate is a premium).

Agree!
I've been pleading with Dennis to build something that is front ported. I don't like my rear ported. :eek: :D

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
The only way to fit a front port on the front baffle is to custom build a slotted port. You can get the BMR's that way, but it adds $100 to the cost. I hope to have a surround version of the new monitor, and it will used a sealed woofer. But the cabinet will be small, so not a whole lotta bass.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Agree!
I've been pleading with Dennis to build something that is front ported. I don't like my rear ported. :eek: :D
Yes! When space is limited, front ported makes a lot of sense. When I was looking at buying the Alexis branded Phils, I was obviously comparing that to the competition and weighing the pros/cons. Having the front port was one of the deciding factors for me!

I actually bought a demo pair, I think from CAP. Dennis Gave me a small discount on the demos. But to me, it was more of a case of "Dennis is showing this pair off so he has almost certainly given them his own QC". I benefit and a little more confidence since those were being produced in China at the time.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Those Parts Express 0.5 ft³ cabinets for the New Philharmonitor are 14" high × 13" deep × 8.5" wide in front, 4.5" wide in back. They are solidly built and heavy at 19 lbs. each.

I don't think there is space to mount the port on the front in those cabinets. It would require a custom-built cabinet, and would be taller than 14".

From my experience building a smaller 2-way (Dennis's MB27) in a PE 0.38 ft³ box with curved sides, getting the crossover to fit inside was tough. I had to reassemble the boards, cut away some of the interior brace, and loose some knuckle skin in the process. I don't think I could have done it at all if the front baffle hadn't been removable.

I can easily understand why the BMR 3-way wouldn't easily fit in a curved cabinet. The same comment about mounting the port applies to these speakers. I think it would require a custom-built taller cabinet to have a front mounted port.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Those Parts Express 0.5 ft³ cabinets for the New Philharmonitor are 14" high × 13" deep × 8.5" wide in front, 4.5" wide in back. They are solidly built and heavy at 19 lbs. each.

I don't think there is space to mount the port on the front in those cabinets. It would require a custom-built cabinet, and would be taller than 14".

From my experience building a smaller 2-way (Dennis's MB27) in a PE 0.38 ft³ box with curved sides, getting the crossover to fit inside was tough. I had to reassemble the boards, cut away some of the interior brace, and loose some knuckle skin in the process. I don't think I could have done it at all if the front baffle hadn't been removable.

I can easily understand why the BMR 3-way wouldn't easily fit in a curved cabinet. The same comment about mounting the port applies to these speakers. I think it would require a custom-built taller cabinet to have a front mounted port.
An external crossover box is always an option, right? That wouldn't bother me too much, but I guess the general public doesn't like that approach.

But, it could also have the XO built into a nice little stand for the speaker instead.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The only way to fit a front port on the front baffle is to custom build a slotted port. You can get the BMR's that way, but it adds $100 to the cost. I hope to have a surround version of the new monitor, and it will used a sealed woofer. But the cabinet will be small, so not a whole lotta bass.
Well, that's an advantage to the custom cabs. And, an extra $100 isn't too bad for that custom service.

Hey Dennis, I'm curious, do you know how many speaker designs can be directly attributed to yourself? Do you keep a workbook or a log of all of your designs over the years?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Hey Dennis, I'm curious, do you know how many speaker designs can be directly attributed to yourself? Do you keep a workbook or a log of all of your designs over the years?
There are quite a few. Dennis is modest. But he has a dedicated Fan-boy corps to pound his drum :cool:.

Note: If a speaker cabinet has MLTL bass design, Dennis collaborated with Paul Kittinger to do that work using software developed by Martin J. King. This includes the DIY ER18 MTM, many Salk towers, and the Philharmonic floor standing designs.

DIY Designs http://murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=main.html
  • MBOW1
  • MB20
  • MB27
  • CAOW1
  • EROW1
  • MBOW1 3-way
  • ER18 MTM & ER15 center (only found on AH & sold as kits by Meniscus)
  • New crossovers for older classic speakers such as for the JBL L-100 (also found on AH) or AR-3a
  • One of a kind custom designs such as the Philharmonster
Dave Ellis's Ellis 1801

Salk http://www.salksound.com/ Every Salk listed except subwoofers, Jeff Bagby’s Continuum, Archos, & Pharos.
  • SongTower series
  • Veracity series
  • SoundScape series
  • WOW1
  • Silk
  • Exotica Monitor & Tower
  • V series – a 3-way cheaper than the HT-3, no longer sold
Philharmonic Audio http://philharmonicaudio.com/ All designs past & present
  • Philharmonic 1, 2, and 3 (only the 3 is presently available)
  • Original Phil Slim (no longer available)
  • Phil Slim Jr.
  • Original Philharmonitor - with ER18 woofer (no longer sold)
  • Second Philharmonitor - the Alexis version with SB woofer (available in the future?)
  • New Philharmonitor - with Scan Speak woofer
  • Philharmonitor BMR 3-way
There are others… such as the modern-day "Bud Fried" MTM towers with the series crossovers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis