New patio construction speaker advice

M

Msteck4

Audiophyte
Hello all first time on the form I am looking at building a new house next year looking for speakers to put in the ceiling of my outdoor patio thinking of using the Polk Audio RC85i 2-way premium in-wall 8" speakers. my question is should I build a box (enclosure) for above the speakers to put them inside of or let them be a free air speaker in the ceiling? They will be powered with a Bose SoundTouch SA-5 witch is hopefully going to get upgrade in the future. Any other recommendations for ceiling mount speakers could be considered if in budget. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Any reason for wanting a in-wall speaker vs. a in-ceiling speaker design?

Most of these are designed for free air operation, so if you have no issues with the audio going into the ceiling space, there is no real need to put them in a back box.

Polk stuff is fine. It's not exceptional either good or bad at this level. Similar to what you might find from Monoprice...
This is an example of one of the Monoprice 8" 3-way in-ceiling models vs. using an 8" 3-way in-wall model.

M

Msteck4

Audiophyte
My thought was the woofer cone does not have a hole in the center less chance of distortion as far as my reasoning for putting them into a box thought maybe they would have a little better sound

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis