New Parasound integrated

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I assumed the unit would be balanced.

For me, balanced has less of it having to do with 'sound quality' as it has to do with gain staging when other equipment is balanced.

Putting XLRs on the back is snake oil. Good eyes!
There is still some advantage to XLR, even if not fully balanced.

One of the biggest advantages is that re-assuring "click" when the XLR is seated in the connection properly and positively re-enforced.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall

One of the biggest advantages is that re-assuring "click" when the XLR is seated in the connection properly and positively re-enforced.
There is common mode rejection and wouldn't that mean that you can buy a less expensive balanced cable than higher priced uber-shielded unbalanced?

- Rich

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
There is common mode rejection and wouldn't that mean that you can buy a less expensive balanced cable than higher priced uber-shielded unbalanced?

- Rich
Eh, shielded RCAs aren't that expensive and usually unnecessary. There is CMR, and that is another advantage (assuming that at least the input stage is balanced and not merely XLR to look like it's balanced).

RichB

RichB

Eh, shielded RCAs aren't that expensive and usually unnecessary. There is CMR, and that is another advantage (assuming that at least the input stage is balanced and not merely XLR to look like it's balanced).
I believe the input stages are balanced in the Halo amps.
The balanced switch when set to unbalanced shorts on a leg so Parasound has the switch for the balanced input.
It is not an input selector so Parasound recommends not connecting both inputs.

- Rich

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think a 200WPC Parasound Halo AVR w/ DTS-UHD, Dolby ATMOS and Audyssey XT32 would be interesting. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Or maybe just a Mini-DSP with Dirac, Atmos, DTS-USD, and Auro-3D.

- Rich
Yes. But I can't give up Dynamic EQ, though. Must..............have. ;)

So how about 2 versions of min-DSP DTD-UHD/ATMOS/Auro-3D: one with Dirac & one with Audyssey XT32? :D

RichB

RichB

Yes. But I can't give up Dynamic EQ, though. Must..............have. ;)

So how about 2 versions of min-DSP DTD-UHD/ATMOS/Auro-3D: one with Dirac & one with Audyssey XT32? :D
I don't really know if DIRAC has this function. The new Mini-DSP/Dirac products look interesting.

- Rich

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
MiniDSP now! TLS Guy post reinforced lol. (the diy part lol)

In all seriousness, it's interesting times!

Good point, agreed.

- Rich
Strangely, lots of times the balanced cables have the same (or more) shielding than RCAs, perhaps to prevent abrasions in professional applications. Microphone breakout cables are sometimes tiny, though. (and expensive, from all the terminations)

I believe the input stages are balanced in the Halo amps.
The balanced switch when set to unbalanced shorts on a leg so Parasound has the switch for the balanced input.
Ah, that's legit. Then the balanced connections have a purpose: they're able to accept a balanced output properly and send balanced signal properly / without using external DI boxes.

Another biggie for balanced connections is if you have sensitive speakers (especially like my 100db/w + ones!), pretty easy to pickup noise in a signal chain that would otherwise not be a problem on 90db/w speakers or thereabouts.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't really know if DIRAC has this function. - Rich
Yeah. I don't know if anyone else has the DEQ function I like. I don't really care for the room correction per se. To me, I couldn't care less if my pre-pro has Dirac, Trinnov, Audyssey, Lyngdorf, ARC, etc. Looking at all the graphs of each of them, they all seem to do a pretty good job flattening out the FR. But I don't care so much about that. I just want Subwoofer EQ & Dynamic EQ.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis